PDA

View Full Version : 8800 locked with password - still able to shut down

Marci
06-05-2007, 10:10 AM
I have a problem with my 8800.

We are using BES and all devices have a password. We tell the user to lock the device, no problem.

But when the 8800 is locked with password the power switch still shuts down the BB. Any idea how to disable this "feature"?

We tried with software 4.2.1.68 and 4.2.1.90 (Vodafone).

Everytime I put the 8800 in my pocket I switch it off after some time by accident. Don't want to carry it outside my pocket - not everyone needs to see my BB.

Any ideas?

jtdarden
06-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Not sure how it could be switched off by accident in you pocket, but I would check the auton/off settings to make sure it is not set.

Marci
06-05-2007, 11:08 AM
When it's locked you can still switch it of pressing the power button for some seconds - that's how it's switched off.

Is this a bug or a feature? Is there a software version available without this problem?

CanuckBB
06-05-2007, 11:38 AM
When it's locked you can still switch it of pressing the power button for some seconds - that's how it's switched off.

I think the question was how does it get switched off. It's not that easy and to happen often enough to generate a complaint is strange.

Is this a bug or a feature? Is there a software version available without this problem?

It is neither a bug or a feature, it is according to design. Password lock is designed to protect your data. Switching the device off and on does not affect data, unless the password is off when you power up.

IanHummel
06-05-2007, 01:42 PM
I just dont understand how your phone is turning off in your pocket. I carry by 8800 that is password protected by a BES in my pocket all day. Infact, I have carried all my BB's in my pocket. Not once have they ever turned off. You have to press directly on the button for 3-5 seconds to turn off the phone, it's beyond me how this is happening in your pocket. Regardless, there is nothing you can do. Either clean out your pockets or wear it on your belt I guess.

DZD
06-05-2007, 10:45 PM
One cool feature I use all the time is the Stand By feature. All you do is hold down the Mute key on the top of the phone before you put it in your pocket. This disables the keypad. You will still get a notification (phone ring, task due, etc.) based on your profile. When you remove it from your pocket you have to press down on the Mute key for a second or two to wake it up. I did a quick test, when I have it in Standby Mode and I press the power key at the top of the phone - after 3 to 5 seconds the device wakes up. However, it does not shut off unless you press it again. Hope that helps - I still don't get how the device shuts off in your pocket by accident. Good luck.