PDA

View Full Version : 8830 Compatible with VZW Tools and Applications?

bmcent1
06-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey all -
Happy new 8830 owner. Just have a question about Verizon's "Tools and Applications" available from the "My Verizon" portion of the VerizonWireless.com...

Blackberries are not listed in the Compatible Devices list. And it also says use "Get It Now" to download and install.

Are these applications incompatible with Blackberries?

In particular, I was interested in their Backup Assistant. I know I can use the Blackberry Desktop but I liked the idea of being able to do it wirelessly.

whsbuss
06-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Hey all -
Happy new 8830 owner. Just have a question about Verizon's "Tools and Applications" available from the "My Verizon" portion of the VerizonWireless.com...

Blackberries are not listed in the Compatible Devices list. And it also says use "Get It Now" to download and install.

Are these applications incompatible with Blackberries?

In particular, I was interested in their Backup Assistant. I know I can use the Blackberry Desktop but I liked the idea of being able to do it wirelessly.

Hi and welcome. 'grats on your new 8830. I don't believe any of the VZW get it now stuff works on the blackberry.

MikesTooLz
06-05-2007, 01:02 PM
It dosn't work on blackberrys. (Why would someone with a blackberry need to backup their contacts?)

malson
06-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Well, one reason people would need to use the Backup Assistant specifically is if they have a new BB and previously had a non-pda phone. I had my contacts backed up on the VZW site but had to manually transfer my contacts to my BB when it came via FedEx. I'm not sure if the store would have transferred them for me or not but they didn't have the 8830 in stock.

Even with the rumored update that will add VCast and VNav stuff, I doubt GIN will ever be supported on the BB.

bmcent1
06-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the answers, good to know. I'll backup via Blackberry desktop, but the wireless backup of Backup Assistant seemed convienent.

limegrass69
06-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the answers, good to know. I'll backup via Blackberry desktop, but the wireless backup of Backup Assistant seemed convienent.

If you are on a BES, everything will back up to Outlook...or whatever mail client you use.

whsbuss
06-05-2007, 04:10 PM
If you are on a BES, everything will back up to Outlook...or whatever mail client you use.

And with BES the updates/changes are instant along with email delivery.

bmcent1
06-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm on BIS (personal BB, not corporate) ... plus, despite all the good things I'm hearing about Outlook, I've stayed away from it like the plague due to security issues I've seen in the past. Maybe they're resolved now, but I have that leftover impression.

I'm trying to get the most out of my BB with BIS and Gmail and Google calendar. So far I'm impressed, though it looks like the integration still has a ways to go.

woodi68
06-05-2007, 04:37 PM
As a personal user I would never use Outlook either. I want someone else to do all that upkeep! = )

Congrats on your 8830, I just got mine too. LOVE it! (contrarty to common belief, I like the silver!)

MPScan
06-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Specifically, for your contacts previously held in the Backup Assistant through Get It Now on a non-BB phone, just go to the VZ site and list your contacts. Choose the print-friendly version. Select all and copy and paste into Excel. Change some formatting and columns, and export to CSV. Import the CSV into the BB via desktop manager.

Kind of a hassle, but it worked for me, and once in the BB, you don't have to worry about it again.