PDA

View Full Version : What can be stored on the SD card?

ffeingol
06-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Before I go out and get a microsd card for my 8830, what can be stored on it? I'm a little nervous that I'm going to run out of space. When I got to "status" I see:

File Free: 10,531,204
File Total: 47,841,280

I've installed Opera, two ring tones and I have some mails on the device. If I'm reading this right I've got 47 meg of files in use and 10 meg free?

TIA,

Frank

tifosiv122
06-05-2007, 04:51 PM
I have 18 free and have nothing installed besides JiveTalk. I even deleted the game that came with the unit. I have about 30 days worth of emails on 4 different accounts.

I have the SD card and I haven't used it for anything but multimedia, I'm not even sure if you can or how to do it.

Erik

JSanders
06-05-2007, 05:07 PM
You can put what ever file you want on the SD card. Pictures, PDFs, ringtones, music, your dirty underwear, whatever.

I would recommend going ahead and getting the 2GB card if you can, only a few more $$s than the 1GB card.

I have 16.5 free on my 8800, with about a dozen third party apps installed (BBWeather, BB Today, Beyond411, BBAlerts, JiveTalk, BB Messenger, GoogleMaps, BBMaps, 4-5 games, a chronograph stopwatch, Opera Mini, etc.).

Not to count the pictures and ringtones on the SD Card, which is not counted toward the device memory.

ffeingol
06-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Can add-on programs or mail be stored on the SD card? Is there any easy way to figure out what's using the space? If I'm reading it correct I only have 10 MB left and I can't figure out what is chewing all the space.

Frank

JSanders
06-05-2007, 05:39 PM
No, applications to run on the BB must be in the device memory.

Pull your battery and reboot the BB, I bet 5MB at least is regained.

ffeingol
06-05-2007, 05:49 PM
OK, I'm new to BB (came from a PPC). I'm assuming your talking about a soft type boot? Not sure what you mean by pulling the battery to reboot?

Frank

DonNguyen
06-05-2007, 05:51 PM
remove the battery....he's talking about a hard reboot

tifosiv122
06-05-2007, 06:41 PM
No, applications to run on the BB must be in the device memory.

Pull your battery and reboot the BB, I bet 5MB at least is regained.

I only gained about 1MB when I did that today...

Erik

ffeingol
06-05-2007, 08:21 PM
remove the battery....he's talking about a hard reboot

OK, time for me to learn :oops: On the PPC if you lost power (pulled the batter) you loose everything and have to restore. I take it the that BB does not work the same?

BTW, I think I figured out my space issue. The outlook sync synced EVERYTHING in my calendar. That goes back well into 2006 and is not necessary on the BB. I'll have to look at the outlook sync in more detail tomorrow in the office.

Thanks again,

Frank

JSanders
06-05-2007, 09:45 PM
I only gained about 1MB when I did that today...

Erik

Well I lose the bet then. I owe you a nickel.

One mb is nothing to sneeze at though!

takeshi
06-06-2007, 08:26 AM
10MB is actually a lot of free space on a BB assuming that you don't try to load MP3's and videos.

ffeingol
06-06-2007, 08:33 AM
OK. I'm still getting used to the BB.

So if I do the "pull the batter" to reset it, do I loose everything or does it just "all come back" when I put the battery back in?

Frank

someonexh
06-06-2007, 08:39 AM
OK. I'm still getting used to the BB.

So if I do the "pull the batter" to reset it, do I loose everything or does it just "all come back" when I put the battery back in?

Frank

You don't lose anything, but maybe cache. You will have everything when you put it back in.

I have about 14mb free, not sure what eats up all my space either ;)

When you're in options, click Status, then click the menu button and click Database sizes. That should give you a better idea on what is being used where, it's not that detailed though :(

JSanders
06-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Pulling your battery does not delete data/email/contacts/applications/etc. It will clear your memory (same as rebooting your computer), and often clear any glitches or hiccups the BB is having. Similarly, you can ALT+CAP+DELETE to reboot... my personal opinion is pulling the battery does a little more.

ffeingol
06-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks guys. That was an interesting eye opener. Went from 10 mb free to 18 mb free. I'm "guessing" it may be Opera browser cache, but it's cool now. I feel much safer about adding BBAlert and a SSH client now.

Thanks again,

Frank

someonexh
06-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys. That was an interesting eye opener. Went from 10 mb free to 18 mb free. I'm "guessing" it may be Opera browser cache, but it's cool now. I feel much safer about adding BBAlert and a SSH client now.

Thanks again,

Frank

BBalert is well worth it, I love it :) Have not tried an ssh client, tell me after you get yours installed if you like it or not and I will try it out :)

tifosiv122
06-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Well I lose the bet then. I owe you a nickel.

One mb is nothing to sneeze at though!

Yeah, in this day and age 48 is too small.

Erik

gqsmuv
07-30-2007, 01:13 PM
how you do you actually use the SD card memory...right now, i simply put music, video and pictures in my SD card...i wouldn't know how to 'direct' my msgs/emails to be saved onto the SD card...
please help, thanks

JSanders
07-30-2007, 01:18 PM
You can't. You are using your SD card is just a perfect manner.