PDA

View Full Version : Turn On and Off Password Protection

why1504
06-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Here is a new one for me. Now that I have the 8830 I really like the voice dialing and speaker phone. I spend quite a bit of time in the car. I would like to be able to turn on and off the password protection with some sort of script. This is how I envision it would work:

Password Protection Off:

Press one or a couple of keys to enable a pre-programed password.

Password Protection On:

Enter password, press one or a couple of keys to disable password protection

Keyboard lock stays on all the time.

This would make it easy to implement password locking and unlocking. It is not convenient to try to unlock the phone when driving, or sitting @<hidden> home.

roosterbig
06-05-2007, 09:52 PM
What if you forgot to enable the password and left the device in your car? Anyone could gain access to your device and your data by breaking into your car... :cry:

why1504
06-05-2007, 10:15 PM
What I have proposed here is better than leaving it unlocked all the time. This is not an issue where I live and for the most part where I travel. Right now I have a Ipod, GPS, and Radar Detector in plain site. If I go to a risky situation I remove them all.

I have only had one car break in. It occurred 10 years ago. funny thing, they stole all my CD's and left my wifes. She likes The Monkees, Bread, etc. All the classic rock went away.

takeshi
06-06-2007, 08:24 AM
There's no solution that I know of. Best bet is to increase the lock timeout to the max which is still just an hour IIRC.

why1504
06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Is it possible to create an app that would do this? How hard would that be? I mean all we are really talking about a basic keystroke logger. Almost a excel like macro. Can anyone help me out here?

MikesTooLz
06-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Is it possible to create an app that would do this? How hard would that be? I mean all we are really talking about a basic keystroke logger. Almost a excel like macro. Can anyone help me out here?

If it was so basic then you wouldnt't have any problem making it youreself.

And I had to reread what you posted to understand exactly what you wanted.

You basicly want an application added that will enable/disable password protection because you dont want to have to keep going to Options > Security Options > General Options. You wouldnt be saving a whole lot of time.

why1504
06-08-2007, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the helpful comments!!!

someonexh
06-08-2007, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the helpful comments!!!

Maybe assign your convenience key to do it? or at least get you to "options" so you're right at the screen to do it..

why1504
06-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks, this will help.

takeshi
06-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Have you looked into development on a BB? There's no macro functionality so it's not as simple as a macro unless you develop a 3rd party macro app.

Everything's simple when you don't know the details... ;-)