PDA

View Full Version : Spare battery ???

kimholle
05-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Does anyone here use a spare battery and a desktop charger? I am thinking I want to get one, but I am not sure if taking the battery out rather than charging it plugged in will affect anything. It seems like when you take the battery out it takes forever for the unit to turn back on. The cell is my only phone (no landline at home) so I don't want to have it off and charging. With all my other Nextel phones, I have done the desktop charger and extra battery thing.

kimholle
05-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Wow. No response yet. Does anyone use a spare battery for their blackberry? Is this a terrible idea for some reason?

Active_Matrix
05-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Not a terrible idea. Me personally just started using mine so.... im not sure for me, but that is a good idea!

NJBlackBerry
05-08-2005, 09:19 PM
I don't use a spare battery. Since it charges quickly and I can normally get at least 2 days with normal use (for me), I don't find it necessary. I do have a car charger...

twizardt
05-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Why dont you just plug it in and leave it on?

tpblackberry
05-08-2005, 09:39 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Blackberry will completely reset after you remove the battery and pop in a new one. So if your interested in losing all your emails and contact, then sure, it's a great idea. It's not like the Blackberry doesn't have the single most greatest battery life out of all handhelds. If it lasts up to 100 hours, I don't see why you can't just plug it in why you're sleeping...

Tim

NJBlackBerry
05-08-2005, 09:49 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
You are mistaken.

Removing the battery does NOT delete any data. That is wrong.

And the only way my BlackBerry lasts 100 hours is if I shut it off :)

jacobsaa
05-08-2005, 09:54 PM
the blackberry battery life is the best out of any pda/smartphone thati have ever owned. i must say, that is the reason i dont currently have a back up.

tpblackberry
05-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Removing the battery and putting a complete new one in???

I don't know, maybe that's my experience with OTHER handhelds, gotta love the 'berry though. :)

Tim

NJBlackBerry
05-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Well, it is not the case with a BlackBerry.
You do NOT lose any data (e-mails, contacts, calendar) when you pop out the battery. NOTHING.

tpblackberry
05-08-2005, 10:01 PM
I stand corrected!

NJBlackberry > tpblackberry

twizardt
05-08-2005, 10:12 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
You are mistaken.

Removing the battery does NOT delete any data. That is wrong.

And the only way my BlackBerry lasts 100 hours is if I shut it off :)
(y)

coreyg510
05-09-2005, 05:53 AM
I use the BB alot and sometimes I dont have the chance to plug it in because i'm running around so quickly. I have thought and still considering an extended battery for extra juice

gregg
05-09-2005, 06:54 AM
I seem to be the minority as I have several backup batteries and use them regularly. I spend "hours" travelling & on the phone and find it easier to simply pop in a spare vs. ask car services to plug in my 12v, etc.

MarkHolbrook
05-09-2005, 07:26 AM
For my 7250 I bought the extended battery. Two positives, two negatives sorta...

Positives:

1) Battery life outrageous. I mean it would probably last a week.
2) Bigger battery actually makes it easier to get out of the holster.

Negatives:

1) A very tiny bit heaver but it actually makes it feel like a real phone, not just a toy.
2) Can't decharge it to cycle the battery... I got tired of waiting and finally just put it back on the charger. I had verichat running, bluetooth, made numerous calls. The lowest I could get it was 80%.

So the big batt is a deal +

M

kimholle
05-09-2005, 10:05 AM
I have found that I use my blackberry so much on some days that I can't get through a whole day with it. I am a very heavy user of cellular minutes and also do a lot of direct connect and email. I am rarely staying in one place for long and a car charger just isn't going to work for me. This is my only phone, no landline, no regular office, so I was thinking that the sapre battery would be the best way to go. I do sleep (haha) and have been charging the phone while a sleep, but there have been instances when the battery is dead and I still need to get an hour or 2 our of it. I haven't had any luck using it while it is plugged in (what's up with that?). Plus, I was under the impression that it wasn't a good idea to charge it while it was on??? Not sure if that is correct. I had always heard with the motorola nextel phones that charging it with it on was serious tabu. I was just looking for some thoughts on the spare battery idea.

Dawg
05-09-2005, 10:17 AM
I have a 7520 also I use verichat bluetooth bblight and weather. I am a construction manager so you can imagine the amout of time I am on the radio(1400 minutes last month) and phone (300 minutes last month) Constant email and PIN messages. I remove mine from the charger at 620am every morning as it turns itself on. I get about 14 hours out of my battery I usually amd down to the last bar at the end of the day. On weekends I dont charge it at all and will last friday sat and sunday from thursday nights charge. I do have a Laptop and if I think about it during the day i do plug the unit in for usually 15 minutes or so if I am lucky thats about all the still time I get.

I did the discharge and charge completely thing when I first got mine to condition the battery and it workes pretty well.

Kim what is true about standard nextel phones is not a true about the BBs they are a different breed all together.

NEXQUIN
05-09-2005, 10:18 AM
I use a spare battery everyday and I have even been searching for another extended life battery but for some reason it has been discontinued or taken off the site (nextel.com). I would say get a couple because I use mine a good bit and like I said I cycle through the two baterries once or even twice a day.

stonent
05-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Nextel charges way too much for their accessories. Check with one of the many vendors that frequent this forum. I'm sure they can get you a better deal on an extended battery.

rcg
05-09-2005, 11:04 AM
We have the extended battery at pretty good pricing

7100t http://store.bizshopr.com/rimacc-07496-001.html

7520 http://store.bizshopr.com/rimrac5015.html

7290/7250 http://store.bizshopr.com/rimacc-09125-002.html

The exterrnal charger 72xx http://store.bizshopr.com/rimacc-04225-001.html

The External Charger 71xx http://store.bizshopr.com/rimacc-07493-001.html

We sell a lot of standard batteries for folks as spares... now that the extended is available we are seeing a shift that direction. The extended is almost twice the capacity of the standard.

LizW
05-24-2005, 08:35 PM
My Blackberry 7520 has frozen and a soft reset didn't work. I am considering removing the battery but don't know if there is some easy way to "pop it out." Got the darn thing all assembled from the office....if anyone wants to help out someone who is clueless....

NJBlackBerry
05-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Probably a bad place to start a new thread..

Yes, the 7520 battery is wdged in there pretty good. Remove the cover, and smack it against your hand - hard - until the battery starts to come out, then pry it out with your fingers.

No the easiest thing in the world....

LizW
05-24-2005, 08:56 PM
really???

LizW
05-24-2005, 08:57 PM
unbelievable...it worked...now if only the darn thing will re-initialize, I'll be set. Thank you!

NJBlackBerry
05-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Yup.

LizW
05-24-2005, 08:59 PM
and it is BACK!!!! Wow! thank you NJBlackberry...this NY user is grateful.

jwcanada
05-25-2005, 11:44 AM
rcg - That is good pricing for the extended life battery that you guys have. We use Nextel devices almost exclusively and have been paying around $70(minus our discount which is around 10%) per extended life battery through our Nextel Rep....the kicker is they don't come with the door!!! You have to buy something like a 3 pack of hi capacity doors that runs another like $12-$15. Thats way too expensive in my mind.