PDA

View Full Version : Tethering??

Bankroll
06-06-2007, 08:53 PM
I have a verizon 8703e and would like to tether it to my laptop but don't want to pay the $15 monthly to do so.. Is there a hack out there to make this possible?

crazydude
06-06-2007, 11:21 PM
I have a verizon 8703e and would like to tether it to my laptop but don't want to pay the $15 monthly to do so.. Is there a hack out there to make this possible?

I far as i know NO. I know its a pain paying that $14 their no way coz the server has to authenticate you. they do this by using <phone>@<hidden> as user name and phone number as password
If your plan has no tethering it adds its and you get billed for it. Learned the hard way

Walt
06-07-2007, 06:25 AM
If you're eligible to switch carriers you can try Sprint. I have Verizon and Sprint. I was going to get the Verizon BB 8830 but after checking it out I didn't like it. Also Verizon cripples a lot of stuff and like you said charges $15 just to tether. I asked Sprint and they said they don't charge anything extra. The persons exact words were "why would we charge extra? It's included in your Blackberry data plan". Also Sprint doesn't cripple any of the BB's capabilities like the ability to use the built in gps. Anyway the tethering works great and it's very fast.

takeshi
06-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Yup -- you can switch carriers if you don't want to pay to tether. ;)

Bankroll
06-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Trust me, I would love to get away from verizon but I travel alot in the midwest and their coverage area is the best.

Walt
06-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Very true. Verizon has the best coverage. In addition to my Sprint BB I have a Verizon RAZR.

ElCamino
06-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Bankroll have you checked out Shark Modem with this as I understand it, you can tether with USB or Bluetooth and you don't have to pay the 15.00 from Verizon. They have a trial download so you can check it out before buying.