PDA

View Full Version : unlock the 8830

ea3421
06-06-2007, 10:52 PM
I want to unlock my 8830 so I can use SIM cards from local carriers overseas. I actually used the service on Unlock Your Blackberry 8830 Cell Phone from Verizon (http://www.unlockblackberry8830.com), which is a scam. They charged me and never sent me the code. Is there any other way to get the 8830 unlocked?

Just a word of advice -- don't use Unlock Your Blackberry 8830 Cell Phone from Verizon (http://www.unlockblackberry8830.com)

JSanders
06-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Use www.gsmphonesource.com
Very reputable. Sorry about your troubles.

tifosiv122
06-07-2007, 09:25 AM
I want to unlock my 8830 so I can use SIM cards from local carriers overseas. I actually used the service on Unlock Your Blackberry 8830 Cell Phone from Verizon (http://www.unlockblackberry8830.com), which is a scam. They charged me and never sent me the code. Is there any other way to get the 8830 unlocked?

Just a word of advice -- don't use Unlock Your Blackberry 8830 Cell Phone from Verizon (http://www.unlockblackberry8830.com)

Did you wait the 5-7 days they said it takes to get your code?

Erik

ea3421
06-07-2007, 04:02 PM
yes I did wait. I bought it on May 23rd, still no response. Has anyone unlocked their phone successfully? If yes, how?

bmwmpower
06-07-2007, 04:06 PM
I am waiting for the code from the same website. This site better not be a scam or I'll definitely make sure the authorities are notified. I'll give them the shadow of a doubt -- let's just hope the best case scenario is that their organization is poorly ran.

ea3421
06-07-2007, 04:12 PM
I sent them a few emails as well, and no response. This looks like a scam to me.

bmwmpower
06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Did you pay through paypal? We should get together and complain.. this doesnt seem right... I'd hate to think he's a fraud ive seen him around on the forums advertising his sh!t.

ofelas
06-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Sorry to hear about y'alls experience there on that site.
I was considering buying that site's service based on the suggestions of others when I noticed this post.
If memory serves, his satisfied customers are made up of a couple posters with 1 to 3 posts each.
Hope this gets resolved for ya!

Jay5
06-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Me too, although he said he had a medical problem. I got this email from him on his personal GMAIL account on 5/25/07:

-------------
<my name>
im in the hospital i had emergency surgery on tueday night
they are letting me out tonight i hope
this is the first i am getting to email i will update you as soon as im out of here
this is not just a bs story
im at <city> city<hospital> room <room number> patient <his name>
thanks

<his name>
-------------------

Also I talked to him on the phone, he seemed on the up and up. The only thing is he went radio silent on me right after this email. He could have possibly had more medical problems? Or maybe its a scam but thats really far to take it.

One more thing is the buy button is no longer on his site for the 8830. Possibly he is just having problems getting the verzion sim's?

anyways some one PM me if you hear from him.
:?

slinky
06-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Sounds like a scam to me. All his domains and contact information are private. There is not only no buy button but he provides instructions to unlock a GSM version of the 8800 passed off as a link to unlock an 8830. Someone had to take time to change this and perhaps he was able to somehow get hold of a laptop from the emergency room (sympathy ploy.) Sharing the information isn't a crime and I wonder if it's even legitimate.

From my discussion with some reputable unlockers they said it is almost impossible to unlock the 8830. I was unhappy to hear this but they cited several reasons why they will very likely never have a solution.

The solution is as follows. Never ever buy anything from Verizon Wireless if you can help it since, other than perhaps a slightly better signal at the moment, you will be forced to cough up significantly higher fees for add-ons. Since you are locked into a 1 or 2 year contract with them for service, be very sure that you are getting a significantly better signal. If you travel internationally think about your purchase. If you care about GPS think about not using Verizon otherwise it will cost you $10 per month plus tax to use their service even if you already paid for TomTom. The chance that this phone will be unlocked in response to Sprint's offering is almost zero from my knowledge. This is because of Verizon's relationship with Vodaphone and its GSM capabilities.

Sorry to hear about your experience and thank you for sharing it with many other hopeful people. If I can help you I'm glad to provide legal assistance if there is any application.

ea3421
06-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Wow, I bought this phone under the assumption I would be able to unlock it from that website. Now I find out its a scam! I am going to Europe for a few months, and really don't want to pay the Long Distance charges, so was hoping to get a local SIM Card. I am trying to get an unlock code from GSM PhoneSource - When Only The Best Will Do (http://www.gsmphonesource.com). I'll let you know how that works. As for this scam, I am arguing the charge with my credit card. I'm sure they'll take it off.

slinky
06-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Wow, I bought this phone under the assumption I would be able to unlock it from that website. Now I find out its a scam! I am going to Europe for a few months, and really don't want to pay the Long Distance charges, so was hoping to get a local SIM Card. I am trying to get an unlock code from GSM PhoneSource - When Only The Best Will Do (http://www.gsmphonesource.com). I'll let you know how that works. As for this scam, I am arguing the charge with my credit card. I'm sure they'll take it off.

Much obliged. They claim to be able to unlock any phone and I'd certainly be interested to hear if they can somehow miraculously unlock the Verizon 8830 model.

sanglee
06-19-2007, 01:43 PM
I've traded several emails with Adam who runs gsmphonesource.com. He has informed me that no unlock codes are available. He actually refunded my money very quickly. I hope that this phone is unlockable!

slinky
06-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Sorry to hear about the scam but thank you for letting us all know. While you're in Europe, stop in at Vodaphone and let them know that you don't care to be raped by any wireless provider that seems to always begin with the letter "V." You're better off buying the cheapest phone you can and just using it with a local sim. If you need access directly to your local number, forward your mobile phone to a VOIP number and forward that to your international cell phone. ;)

cheese45
06-27-2007, 04:56 PM
try these guys: Unlock BlackBerry IMEI Unlocking (http://www.newmobilefreedom.com/blackberry-imei-unlock-p-99.html)

they'll refund your money if an unlock code for your imei isnt found in the database....typically they're found, sometimes just takes a couple days.

whoscalling
06-27-2007, 05:16 PM
If it can be done Adam at GSMphonesource will do it. I have used him several times to unlock. As recent as my curve.

BlondeBoyL
07-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Its true, with the help of verizon I did unlock the damn thing this morning. It took some fighting though because I wrote an e-mail to verizon explaining how pissed I was about them saying that the unlock codes were unavailable when sprint's 8830 is unlocked. Last night they e-mailed me back and were very nice. they gave the form to fill out and had me fax it in and from that point it was a waiting game. Today about 10:45am they called me back (and global support is not usually open on weekends) and gave me the code and walked me through the process of unlocking the phone. Just an FYI, the MEPD code does not work, you have to enter MEP2 to bring up the dialog to enter the code. So now my 8830 is unlocked. If anyone doubts it I will post pics if you like. I hope this helps some of you but if you are told the codes are unavailable... its BULL S*IT!

Edit: They only give the code if you paid outright for the phone (full retail). If you did the upgrade and got the discount I dont think they will give you the code without charging a fee or something.

gsmps
07-07-2007, 12:27 PM
If it can be done Adam at GSMphonesource will do it. I have used him several times to unlock. As recent as my curve.

I appreciate that but right now unless you can get it from Verizon these codes are unavailable

ofelas
07-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Its true, with the help of verizon I did unlock the damn thing this morning. It took some fighting though because I wrote an e-mail to verizon explaining how pissed I was about them saying that the unlock codes were unavailable when sprint's 8830 is unlocked. Last night they e-mailed me back and were very nice. they gave the form to fill out and had me fax it in and from that point it was a waiting game. Today about 10:45am they called me back (and global support is not usually open on weekends) and gave me the code and walked me through the process of unlocking the phone. Just an FYI, the MEPD code does not work, you have to enter MEP2 to bring up the dialog to enter the code. So now my 8830 is unlocked. If anyone doubts it I will post pics if you like. I hope this helps some of you but if you are told the codes are unavailable... its BULL S*IT!

Edit: They only give the code if you paid outright for the phone (full retail). If you did the upgrade and got the discount I dont think they will give you the code without charging a fee or something.

Hi there, great news! Pics & details would be great!!

edited -

Just spoke to Global Support - they insist there is no such code available, to anyone, whether MEPD or "MEP2".
Pics/details would be great, as I can call Global Support again with that info.

JRSCCivic98
07-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Unlocking the Verizonewireless 8830 - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com (http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/unlocking-verizonewireless-8830-a-1356/index2.html)

FBlack
07-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I also have contacted the right Verizon support group who said they will unlock my 8830 too. But they want me to pay retail for it. Did you pay retail? If so, may I ask how much it cost. Also, must you take at least their $29 data plan?

ofelas
07-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi, just out of curiosity - what's the right support group - is there a direct line? Thx.

FBlack
07-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Try 800.711.2900. But they said I need to pay retail. Let me know what they tell you.

rockymtnway
07-09-2007, 10:35 PM
I paid full price for my phone from Cingular and the shop that sold me the phone told me they wouldn't unlock it, nor could it be unlocked. I called Cingular, told them I was going to Europe and had already registered for international service for e-mail, but needed a local SIMM card to keep in touch with local friends. Once I got ahold of the right person (it took three calls), they took my IMEI number and e-mail address, told me it would be 7 days, and in less than three days I had the code. Another call to customer service helped me get it right (if you mess it up, your phone becomes locked forever), and it was unlocked for free.

I just got back from two weeks in the UK and picked up a Vodaphone pay as you talk card for 10 pounds plus minutes. The nice thing over there is that there's no cost to receive local calls, only to make them, so for 15 pounds you can receive all the calls you want for a couple weeks. The only downfall is that you can't use a US credit card to top up your minutes. I had to have a friend use his UK card to top my minutes up.

Kudos to AT&T for making it doable. I couldn't use the Vodaphone simm card for data or e-mail, but anytime I swapped out for my AT&T simm card, I could use any network over there to do e-mail and internet at a rate of $.08/e-mail and $.02/kb for internet data. Not exactly cheap, but not outrageous either.

penguin3107
07-10-2007, 06:02 AM
I paid full price for my phone from Cingular and the shop that sold me the phone told me they wouldn't unlock it, nor could it be unlocked. I called Cingular, told them I was going to Europe and had already registered for international service for e-mail, but needed a local SIMM card to keep in touch with local friends. Once I got ahold of the right person (it took three calls), they took my IMEI number and e-mail address, told me it would be 7 days, and in less than three days I had the code. Another call to customer service helped me get it right (if you mess it up, your phone becomes locked forever), and it was unlocked for free.

I just got back from two weeks in the UK and picked up a Vodaphone pay as you talk card for 10 pounds plus minutes. The nice thing over there is that there's no cost to receive local calls, only to make them, so for 15 pounds you can receive all the calls you want for a couple weeks. The only downfall is that you can't use a US credit card to top up your minutes. I had to have a friend use his UK card to top my minutes up.

Kudos to AT&T for making it doable. I couldn't use the Vodaphone simm card for data or e-mail, but anytime I swapped out for my AT&T simm card, I could use any network over there to do e-mail and internet at a rate of $.08/e-mail and $.02/kb for internet data. Not exactly cheap, but not outrageous either.

The 8800 is very simple to unlock.
This discussion is about the 8830, which is much more challenging.

BlondeBoyL
07-11-2007, 05:30 AM
Hi there, great news! Pics & details would be great!!

edited -

Just spoke to Global Support - they insist there is no such code available, to anyone, whether MEPD or "MEP2".
Pics/details would be great, as I can call Global Support again with that info.

Hey sorry for the delay ofelas. click the link that JRSCivic98 posted. I put all the details, pictures and videos of the phone being unlocked in there. Also I am no longer the only person with it unlocked. Another person has successfully done it. All the details and such are all at that link.

flightguy
07-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Hey All! I too have my Verizon Wireless Blackberry 8830 UNLOCKED! It made me feel as if it took an act of congress literally however, I did get it done. I had to email the CEO down the line to the South region President. The Exec VP of Verizon Wireless replied to my email.

Here is the bottom line. You MUST pay full retail $519.00 or so in order to recieve the unlock code. You MUST also complete a form entitled SIM Unlocked subscriber Agreement.

The told me all day long that a code was not available and even went so far as to say that it was not available because of RIM having technical problems. The truth as I heard directly from the Supervisor who was instructed to walk me through unlocking my phone is they just got the database which has the unlock codes. The reps, coordinators, technical engineers do not have access ONLY the Global Data Support Supervisor has the access as of right now and they have NOT communicated this to any of their employees as they wanted to keep this "hush hush".

Hope this helps! Anything I can do to help just send me a PIN message.

jewberry
07-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Hey All! I too have my Verizon Wireless Blackberry 8830 UNLOCKED! It made me feel as if it took an act of congress literally however, I did get it done. I had to email the CEO down the line to the South region President. The Exec VP of Verizon Wireless replied to my email.

Here is the bottom line. You MUST pay full retail $519.00 or so in order to recieve the unlock code. You MUST also complete a form entitled SIM Unlocked subscriber Agreement.

The told me all day long that a code was not available and even went so far as to say that it was not available because of RIM having technical problems. The truth as I heard directly from the Supervisor who was instructed to walk me through unlocking my phone is they just got the database which has the unlock codes. The reps, coordinators, technical engineers do not have access ONLY the Global Data Support Supervisor has the access as of right now and they have NOT communicated this to any of their employees as they wanted to keep this "hush hush".

Hope this helps! Anything I can do to help just send me a PIN message.

Same problems with Bell Mobility? Anyone know?

BlondeBoyL
07-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Same problems with Bell Mobility? Anyone know?

Dunno, but if I can get mine unlocked by verizon and sprint's is unlocked, there is no reason the bell mobility phone cant be unlocked. Just be prepared for a battle because they will probably tell you that it cant be done but it can

ofelas
07-11-2007, 10:22 AM
The Bell & Telus 8830s are unlocked right out of the box, like Sprint's.

sanglee
07-11-2007, 01:36 PM
I just got off the phone with a VZW phone rep in the Global group and she was more than happy to email me the form to request an unlock code for the 8830. She did inform me that I would need to pay the difference between what I paid and the retail price of the phone. But for those who were skeptical of this...it is indeed a valid option. Will advise once I hear back from them.

depopov
07-11-2007, 02:59 PM
The Bell & Telus 8830s are unlocked right out of the box, like Sprint's.

Is this true?
i have 8830 on telus network and I tought that it is locked but if you say and if someone can confirm that they have tried it than I am okay.
I was actually looking someone to unlock it.
Please let me know.(y)

penguin3107
07-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Is this true?
i have 8830 on telus network and I tought that it is locked but if you say and if someone can confirm that they have tried it than I am okay.
I was actually looking someone to unlock it.
Please let me know.(y)

Go to Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card and then type m e p d

If the phone is locked, it will say 'Active' next to Network.
If it says something other than 'Active'... then it's unlocked.

djniche
07-11-2007, 07:06 PM
so would you be able to use the phone on tmobile, cingular, etc. with a data plan after its unlocked?

penguin3107
07-11-2007, 08:57 PM
so would you be able to use the phone on tmobile, cingular, etc. with a data plan after its unlocked?

No, you can't use the 8830 on a GSM carrier within the United States, even if the phone is unlocked.
It can only be used on GSM carriers overseas.

flightguy
07-11-2007, 10:51 PM

It took me forever to get my phone unlocked. I did what you said on my Verizon 8830 and it does say the following... Is it unlocked? I am leaving for Israel and really need to know.

Thanks!

SIM Card: Security Disabled

Personalization
SIM Disabled
Network Active
Network Subset Disabled
Service Provider Disabled
Corporate Disabled

penguin3107
07-12-2007, 05:35 AM
It took me forever to get my phone unlocked. I did what you said on my Verizon 8830 and it does say the following... Is it unlocked? I am leaving for Israel and really need to know.

Thanks!

SIM Card: Security Disabled

Personalization
SIM Disabled
Network Active
Network Subset Disabled
Corporate Disabled

No... your phone is locked.
As I mentioned above, Network - Active means your phone is locked.

An unlocked phone will report 'Network - Inactive'

BlondeBoyL
07-12-2007, 07:52 AM

I think that the 8830 phones may operate differently due to the fact that 1.) Our native siginaling mode is CDMA and not GSM and 2.) we cant jump onto another GSM carrier here in the states to test. My phone is indeed unlocked and says the same thing But when the phone was LOCKED it said plain as day "Invalid sim" across the phone until you put in a Vodafone / VZW sim. Now that its unlocked, it takes the sim and can read and use the sim. Matter fact when I popped in my global sim, I received an e-mail on my crackberry saying "the sim has been registered on the network". I think an awsome test would be to have the sprint people type in MEPD on their phone and see if it says the same thing. I think the results will be the same and its natively unlocked.

In short, I dont think this argument holds for a CDMA phone with GSM capabilities.

flightguy
07-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Currently on hold with RIM tech support to verify that my phone is indeed unlocked. Stay tuned will post results here as soon as I am off the phone.

BlondeBoyL
07-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Currently on hold with RIM tech support to verify that my phone is indeed unlocked. Stay tuned will post results here as soon as I am off the phone.

Well whats the results?

flightguy
07-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Please send me a PIN message with your contact phone so I can tell you all of this over the phone.

flightguy
07-12-2007, 09:51 AM
OK here goes... After about an hour and a half of being on the phone here is the conclusion.

First I called Verizon to ask if I could verify that my phone was unlocked. The VZW Rep advised "this is something the manufacturer of the phone should be able to verify. Hold on I will transfer you".

Second: Transferred to Erin at RIM Technical Support. Erin was diligent however had no definitive way of verifying that the phone was indeed unlocked. She said ordinarily we would simply put in a different SIM card and see if the phone would works however, VZW choose to diable the GSM capabilities while the phone was still in USA. After checking with some of her colleagues she told me it "looks like your phone is unlocked however no guarantees".

Erin then transferred me back to VZW where I spoke with Amy in Global Data Support. Amy was tried extremely hard to help me. Her supervisor also had a unlocked 8830 so she went and got his phone and we did a few things. If you go to Options>Advanced>SIM> and it says Security Disabled then your phone is "most likely" unlocked. They did state however this is no guarantee and there will be no way of knowing until I am overseas. I will be in Israel August 7th.... I will be able to let you know then.

Sorry for such a long post.... Just wanted to be thorough. Any questions please let me know.

he1neken
07-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Doesn't sound like the person at RIM or VZW knew what they were talking about. In the SIM menu after typing MEPD the only field you should be worried about is the "Network" field. If it says Active beside it, your phone is locked.

The "Security Disabled" has nothing to do with the carrier lock.

flightguy
07-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Doesn't sound like the person at RIM or VZW knew what they were talking about. In the SIM menu after typing MEPD the only field you should be worried about is the "Network" field. If it says Active beside it, your phone is locked.

The "Security Disabled" has nothing to do with the carrier lock.

Even though the GSM feature is completely disabled per RIM and VZW contractually while the phone is in the States? Your saying no matter of this it should not say Active beside network?

Please elaborate someone who knows specifically about the Verizon 8830 and the GSM feature in the States.

Thanks!

penguin3107
07-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Even though the GSM feature is completely disabled per RIM and VZW contractually while the phone is in the States? Your saying no matter of this it should not say Active beside network?

Please elaborate someone who knows specifically about the Verizon 8830 and the GSM feature in the States.

Thanks!

Unlocking/Locking has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not the GSM feature of the 8830 will work within the US.

The reason the 8830 will not work on GSM carriers in the US is because the phone itself doesn't support the GSM frequencies used by US GSM carriers. It only supports frequencies used by overseas GSM carriers.

You can unlock the phone all you want... and it still will not be able to be used on a GSM carrier in the United States.

Verizon didn't "disable" anything with regards to GSM.

The Verizon rep you spoke to hasn't a clue. Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card > Security Disabled doesn't mean that the device is unlocked or "most likely" unlocked. It's got nothing to do with unlocking a phone.
As mentioned above, you can verify that your phone is unlocked by doing one of two things:
1. Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card > m e p d > Network should say Inactive or Disabled
2. Put in a foreign SIM card while overseas and you're able to make/receive calls.

BlondeBoyL
07-13-2007, 06:09 AM
I think the only way this is going to be settled is to wait and see what happens when you go over seas. You have your global sim, so when you get to isreal pop it in and see what happens. Take a cheap unlocked gsm phone with you just incase and let us know what happens.

shatter30
07-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Just thought I'd share this link that was published on CNET today. It's very interesting. It specifically mentions some carriers and talks about other countries policies..
Unlock the cell phone? It's a high-stakes debate | CNET News.com (http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-6196718.html?part=rss&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20&amp;subj=news)

RoC1909
07-16-2007, 11:17 PM

If it slapped him in the face he/she probably wouldn't have known. :?

Xaneth
07-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey sorry for the delay ofelas. click the link that JRSCivic98 posted. I put all the details, pictures and videos of the phone being unlocked in there. Also I am no longer the only person with it unlocked. Another person has successfully done it. All the details and such are all at that link.

Interesting! I wasn't aware that Verizon used SIM cards? We used to be with Verizon prior to February, and every time we needed to put a phone number on a different phone, we had to call in an "ESN change"

parisot
07-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Interesting! I wasn't aware that Verizon used SIM cards? We used to be with Verizon prior to February, and every time we needed to put a phone number on a different phone, we had to call in an "ESN change"

That is because the BB 8830 is a "World phone" meaning that the phone is both CDMA and a GSM phone. This phone runs on Verizon’s network while in the USA then when the user travels outside of the country and does not have coverage my Verizon anymore, the phone switches to GSM(uses the sim card). I believe that the GSM portion of the phone is locked to Vodafone.

Normally a Verizon phone would not have a sim card, but the 8830 is an exception to this.

Xaneth
07-18-2007, 02:36 PM
That is because the BB 8830 is a "World phone" meaning that the phone is both CDMA and a GSM phone. This phone runs on Verizon’s network while in the USA then when the user travels outside of the country and does not have coverage my Verizon anymore, the phone switches to GSM(uses the sim card). I believe that the GSM portion of the phone is locked to Vodafone.

Normally a Verizon phone would not have a sim card, but the 8830 is an exception to this.

Cool! Seems like it would be unlocked out of the box. Too bad they made it proprietary. I remember our Verizon rep in Texas mentioned that Verizon was expanding to work overseas by first quarter 2006. Guess that never materialized...

veco
07-18-2007, 02:45 PM
I believe that nobody answered original question "So, does anyone finally know how to unlock the Verizon 8830 (I'm willing to pay a service to do this)?" In my case I am with Bell Canada and would like to unlock GSM portion of this phone and will to pay for this. All sites I found on network look like scam. Can anybody confirm that it is possible to unlock 8830 by using external help (not Verizon, Bell or Telus).
Thanks

penguin3107
07-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Can anybody confirm that it is possible to unlock 8830 by using external help (not Verizon, Bell or Telus).

It's currently not possible. There aren't any third-party unlockers who have codes for the Verizon 8830.
Give it some time. It'll happen eventually.

FBlack
07-18-2007, 05:53 PM
I do not believe anyone has or will figure out how to unlock the 8830. I even called that one web site that says it can, but the guy said no.

So pay full price and get a Verizon phone and they will unlock it or pay full price to Sprint.

BlondeBoyL
07-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Unlocking/Locking has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not the GSM feature of the 8830 will work within the US.

The reason the 8830 will not work on GSM carriers in the US is because the phone itself doesn't support the GSM frequencies used by US GSM carriers. It only supports frequencies used by overseas GSM carriers.

You can unlock the phone all you want... and it still will not be able to be used on a GSM carrier in the United States.

The Verizon rep you spoke to hasn't a clue. Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card > Security Disabled doesn't mean that the device is unlocked or "most likely" unlocked. It's got nothing to do with unlocking a phone.
As mentioned above, you can verify that your phone is unlocked by doing one of two things:
1. Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card > m e p d > Network should say Inactive or Disabled
2. Put in a foreign SIM card while overseas and you're able to make/receive calls.

Penguin,

I started another thread asking what the unlocked sprint phones say in the network section and one of the people with a sprint phone replied back and said theirs says "Network Active"

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/86618-sprint-8830-users-w-international-sims.html

And we all know the sprints come unlocked.

BlondeBoyL
07-21-2007, 05:29 AM
By the way here is another sprint user who has the 8830 and their network says "active".

Sprint 8830 Users w/ Sim cards - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com (http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/sprint-8830-users-w-sim-cards-2795/index2.html#post19369)

I think its is as I said before, since the 8830 phones are CDMA and GSM, I think the rules regarding the "Active" and ""disabled" status of the phones are not really applicable here since we cant go active on a GSM network until we go overseas.

Fire7
07-22-2007, 05:34 AM
Sounds like a scam to me. All his domains and contact information are private. There is not only no buy button but he provides instructions to unlock a GSM version of the 8800 passed off as a link to unlock an 8830. Someone had to take time to change this and perhaps he was able to somehow get hold of a laptop from the emergency room (sympathy ploy.) Sharing the information isn't a crime and I wonder if it's even legitimate.

From my discussion with some reputable unlockers they said it is almost impossible to unlock the 8830. I was unhappy to hear this but they cited several reasons why they will very likely never have a solution.

The solution is as follows. Never ever buy anything from Verizon Wireless if you can help it since, other than perhaps a slightly better signal at the moment, you will be forced to cough up significantly higher fees for add-ons. Since you are locked into a 1 or 2 year contract with them for service, be very sure that you are getting a significantly better signal. If you travel internationally think about your purchase. If you care about GPS think about not using Verizon otherwise it will cost you $10 per month plus tax to use their service even if you already paid for TomTom. The chance that this phone will be unlocked in response to Sprint's offering is almost zero from my knowledge. This is because of Verizon's relationship with Vodaphone and its GSM capabilities.

Sorry to hear about your experience and thank you for sharing it with many other hopeful people. If I can help you I'm glad to provide legal assistance if there is any application.

Ok i'm confused. isn't the 8830 already unlocked? I've got 8830 From Canada but its not locked is it any different down there?

Fire7
07-22-2007, 05:37 AM
Penguin,

I started another thread asking what the unlocked sprint phones say in the network section and one of the people with a sprint phone replied back and said theirs says "Network Active"

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/86618-sprint-8830-users-w-international-sims.html

And we all know the sprints come unlocked.

does the 8830 verizen version locked?? because mine from bell its not

BlondeBoyL
07-22-2007, 06:29 AM
Ok i'm confused. isn't the 8830 already unlocked? I've got 8830 From Canada but its not locked is it any different down there?

The sprint 8830's come unlocked, withe verizon 8830's are locked. You have to get verizon to unlock it for you as no one else has the codes.

veco
07-22-2007, 08:37 PM
does the 8830 verizen version locked?? because mine from bell its not

QUOTE how do you know that it is not locked? I got mine from Bell as well and they specifically said that unit is locked.

jefwic
07-23-2007, 01:03 AM
QUOTE how do you know that it is not locked? I got mine from Bell as well and they specifically said that unit is locked.

They may have meant it was locked into Bell's network / partners in North America. Ask them if you can put in whatever SIM card you want when overseas.

Siffleu
07-23-2007, 09:47 AM
I went to the official 8830 and they say the 8830 from BELL was the only one unlock

veco
07-23-2007, 11:53 AM
They may have meant it was locked into Bell's network / partners in North America. Ask them if you can put in whatever SIM card you want when overseas.

I spoke with Bell couple days ago. Bell clearly indicated that the phone is locked to Bell on GSM side (Bell provided SIM with phone) and I can only have roaming when go to Europe (2.99 $ in country I will go). In any case I will be there in about week and I will test this phone and let you know outcome. Just was hoping that I can use 8830 and will not have to borough phone from my friends while I will be there.

jefwic
07-23-2007, 11:58 AM
I spoke with Bell couple days ago. Bell clearly indicated that the phone is locked to Bell on GSM side (Bell provided SIM with phone) and I can only have roaming when go to Europe (2.99 $ in country I will go). In any case I will be there in about week and I will test this phone and let you know outcome. Just was hoping that I can use 8830 and will not have to borough phone from my friends while I will be there.

I'm interested to know your results. I will be purchasing an 8830 and traveling around Christmas time so would be interested in knowing what will work.

Fire7
07-23-2007, 06:08 PM

agree
its true the 8830 does not support the two frequencies that are available in North America and its because they don't want you to go to other services plus they would have to pay to the GSM careers for the frequencies so ya it would not be a good business for the CDMA carees to open all 4 frequencies. but there is a difference in verizn I think their 8830 is locked only to their network that mean even when you travel over to EU you still have to use their package and pay them,

Fire7
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm interested to know your results. I will be purchasing an 8830 and traveling around Christmas time so would be interested in knowing what will work.

I'm pretty sure the 8830 from bell is Unlocked ones you go over seas you can use any sim card. the only reason they give you a sim with it is if you want you can have a pakage from them when you go over EU to use but you don't have to you can use any sim card you want

veco
07-23-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the 8830 from bell is Unlocked ones you go over seas you can use any sim card. the only reason they give you a sim with it is if you want you can have a pakage from them when you go over EU to use but you don't have to you can use any sim card you want

Do you have any evidence for this statement or you just beleive this would be correct thing form Bell to do.

mike_187
07-24-2007, 03:06 AM
Do you have any evidence for this statement or you just beleive this would be correct thing form Bell to do.

ive tested it, bell units are unlocked.

veco
07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
ive tested it, bell units are unlocked.

Thanks for information, looking forward to use 8830 in Europe with local SIM.

brc
07-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Will unlocking the VZ version give you the full gps functionality?

backdoc
07-26-2007, 04:26 PM
I think its great that someone has figured out what hoops we have to jump through to get the Verizon 8830 unlocked.

Question: I would like to buy one. What is the proper way to purchase and setup the account so that you don't agree to the overseas charges from the initial signup. I am a current Verizon customer with a Treo 700W piece of &^%. I know I have to pay retail for the 8830, how do I refuse the overseas plan?

I don't see a way to pay retail for it on Verizon's website, would I just need to walk into a store?

I like Verizon's service, I go to Europe at least 3 times per year and have a quadband GSM phone that I use with a world SIM so that I can keep in touch. I would love to have my pda BE my european phone, but NOT at the rates that Verizon wants to charge for the "convenience" of not having to change SIM's. I want to use Verizon here in the states AND use a local or international SIM when I want.

Oh, what is the best current plan for someone who uses the web/email a lot?

Thanks,

Steve

penguin3107
07-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Will unlocking the VZ version give you the full gps functionality?

No, it won't.
Unlocking has nothing to do with GPS.

hooper610
07-26-2007, 09:02 PM
I
Question: I would like to buy one. What is the proper way to purchase and setup the account so that you don't agree to the overseas charges from the initial signup. I am a current Verizon customer with a Treo 700W piece of &^%. I know I have to pay retail for the 8830, how do I refuse the overseas plan?

I don't see a way to pay retail for it on Verizon's website, would I just need to walk into a store?

Call Verizon Telesales. They will ship it to you fedex next day for free at full retail.

whoscalling
07-27-2007, 01:07 PM
When I bought mine I refused the sim card and the overseas option. It was as easy as that.

I did this with the hopes of finding a way to use a local sim. If I cannot do this by the time I leave for overseas travel I can go into the Verizon store and get the VZW sim

livspop
07-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Just a heads up: Alltel is releasing the 8830 in mid August. The GSM side will be unlocked.

veco
08-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for information, looking forward to use 8830 in Europe with local SIM.

Just to confirm that Bell 8830 is unlock on GSM side. I am using it right non.

gfrnk69
08-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Well fellas,

I work for VZW and i just got an email with the following stating the following:

Concern: RIM has released new software for the BlackBerry 8830. This software includes updates or
fixes for the following known issues:
• GSM to CDMA Reconnect
• Call Collision
• System Determination (GSM Mode)
• Calendar Sync Issues
• Ringer Volume
• Unlocked SIM Functionality - The device can now be unlocked to support the use of
non-VZW SIMs for voice and data service on GSM/GPRS networks.
Important Note: Customers using third-party SIMs are not supported by VZW while
roaming on GSM/GPRS networks.
• Added Stereo Bluetooth Support - Device now supports A2DP and AVRCP
Bluetooth profiles which adds compatibility with stereo Bluetooth headsets
• Keypad Backlighting
• CDMA Radio Fixes
Resolution: As of August 2, 2007 customers may download the new software from VZW.com to
update their 8830.
Process: Existing customers looking to be upgraded may access the new software via a computer by
following these steps:
1. Go to Cell Phones, Mobile Phones and plans for Personal - Verizon Wireless (http://www.verizonwireless.com)
2. Select Support > Phones & Devices from the main title bar.
3. Select Phone / Device Brand
4. Select BlackBerry from the list of manufactures.
5. Select the BlackBerry 8830
6. Select BlackBerry 4.X Software (located at the bottom of the page) in the Downloads section.
7. Customer will be directed to the following page in the SmithMicro website:
BlackBerryâ„¢ 4.x Software Download (http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry) Information on this site will provide the customer

I have the pdf file but if anyone knows how to post a pdf file over the 48kb limit, PM me and i'll send it so u can post it

-Frank

dclawyer
08-03-2007, 03:39 AM
Is there a way to for me to upgrade using a Mac? I don't own a PC?

penguin3107
08-03-2007, 05:45 AM
Is there a way to for me to upgrade using a Mac? I don't own a PC?

No, you need a Windows PC and Desktop Manager to upgrade your handheld OS.
Do you have an Intel-based Mac? If so, you could always try Boot Camp and load Windows natively on the machine.

complacent23
08-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Well fellas,

I work for VZW and i just got an email with the following stating the following:

Concern: RIM has released new software for the BlackBerry 8830. This software includes updates or
fixes for the following known issues:
• GSM to CDMA Reconnect
• Call Collision
• System Determination (GSM Mode)
• Calendar Sync Issues
• Ringer Volume
• Unlocked SIM Functionality - The device can now be unlocked to support the use of
non-VZW SIMs for voice and data service on GSM/GPRS networks.
Important Note: Customers using third-party SIMs are not supported by VZW while
roaming on GSM/GPRS networks.
• Added Stereo Bluetooth Support - Device now supports A2DP and AVRCP
Bluetooth profiles which adds compatibility with stereo Bluetooth headsets
• Keypad Backlighting
• CDMA Radio Fixes
Resolution: As of August 2, 2007 customers may download the new software from VZW.com to
update their 8830.
Process: Existing customers looking to be upgraded may access the new software via a computer by
following these steps:
1. Go to Cell Phones, Mobile Phones and plans for Personal - Verizon Wireless (http://www.verizonwireless.com)
2. Select Support > Phones & Devices from the main title bar.
3. Select Phone / Device Brand
4. Select BlackBerry from the list of manufactures.
5. Select the BlackBerry 8830
6. Select BlackBerry 4.X Software (located at the bottom of the page) in the Downloads section.
BlackBerryâ„¢ 4.x Software Download (http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry) Information on this site will provide the customer

I have the pdf file but if anyone knows how to post a pdf file over the 48kb limit, PM me and i'll send it so u can post it

-Frank

Sweet! I'll play around with it this weekend and see what happens :) Thanks for the heads-up!

Karl Thoreson
08-04-2007, 03:58 PM
How is what that email says possible? There has to be different hardware in the phone to support Stereo Bluetooth. And is that saying that once I download the new OS software that I will be able to unlock the GSM portion of my phone without all the hell from VZW staff? Please simplfy that email posting!!!

Has anyone downloaded the new OS? What did it do? I don't want to have to redo all the settings/addy book/etc. on my phone if it erases everything!!!

JRSCCivic98
08-04-2007, 04:50 PM
How is what that email says possible? There has to be different hardware in the phone to support Stereo Bluetooth. And is that saying that once I download the new OS software that I will be able to unlock the GSM portion of my phone without all the hell from VZW staff? Please simplfy that email posting!!!

Has anyone downloaded the new OS? What did it do? I don't want to have to redo all the settings/addy book/etc. on my phone if it erases everything!!!

Look man, Bluetooth is bluetooth, it's the profiles (programming) that makes the difference between something being supported and not. If you don't get that, that doesn't mean it doesn't work a certain way. Also, the OS install wizard in Application Loader does a complete backup and restore of user data/settings/3rd party programs before the OS loads and then does a restore at the end so the phone is back to the way it was right before you did the OS install, but with updated software.

Honestly man, if you haven't done an OS install before I wouldn't badmouth what you don't understand or seen for yourself.

Karl Thoreson
08-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Whoa. I wasnt bad mouthing anything! I had a concern. Get a grip.

ofelas
08-04-2007, 05:02 PM

It updates several apps to newer versions, adds a few minor visual aids (like a "lock" symbol on the home screen when the 8830 is locked, etc. etc.)

During install, it will offer to backup ALL data/settings, so no manual backup/restore by you is neccessary.

dclawyer
08-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Anything I can't live without? I don't own a Windows machine -- only PowerPC Macs so I'd prefer to remain with what I have unless I really need to find a way to upgrade the OS.

ofelas
08-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Anything I can't live without? I don't own a Windows machine -- only PowerPC Macs so I'd prefer to remain with what I have unless I really need to find a way to upgrade the OS.

Well, seeing as you were alive yesterday, I reckon you'll do just fine without the software update ;-)

JRSCCivic98
08-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Might want to keep the "!" marks on the down-low then. ;-)

Karl Thoreson
08-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Thank you 'ofelas.'

Karl Thoreson
08-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Yea! Sure thing professor! Dude, (n) JRSCCivic98(n) , get a life!

jimhawley
08-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Has anyone tried to buy the unlocked 8830 from Sprint and then activate on Verizon? Is this possible?

penguin3107
08-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Sprint locks the CDMA radio on all of their phones, so they can't be activated on Verizon's network. Verizon would most likely not allow it anyway.

Mortgage_It
08-06-2007, 03:24 PM
If we get the unlock code from Verizon for a 8830, what do we do with the code? I haven't seen instructions on what to do with the code number. Also, must a card be in the phone to unlock? Can it be any card?

ofelas
08-07-2007, 02:25 PM
This is a two step process.

1. First install the updated Device OS software
Issues Resolved:
•Call Collision - During voice call, user receives incoming call (call waiting). User ends first call and answers 2nd call. User then ends 2nd call. Tries to make outgoing call and can't because device thinks it is still on a call •GSM to CDMA Reconnect - While in GSM mode, if device or radio was powered down with no coverage or left on during flight back to US, device would not reestablish data connectivity in CDMA coverage until battery was removed and reinserted.
•GSM System Determination - Multiple issues resolved with acquiring network connectivity while in GSM.
•Calendar Sync - Three issues resolved with this firmware update.
•CDMA Radio Fixes - Corrected SIP fallback issue experienced in some markets resulting in Error 348 on the handheld device.
Enhancements:
•Unlocked SIM Functionality - The device can now be unlocked to support the use of non-VZW SIMs for voice and data service on GSM/GPRS networks. Note: Customers using third-party SIMs are not supported by VZW while roaming on GSM/GPRS networks.
•Stereo Bluetooth - Device now supports A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth profiles which adds compatibility with stereo Bluetooth headsets.
•Keypad Backlighting - Keypad backlighting will now engage in low-to-medium lighting conditions improving usability.
•Ringer Volume - A 6dB boost to audio notifications while the device is holstered.
2. Call Global Tech Support at (800) 711-8300.

Tell them you want to unlock your phone as
per the MR1 update of 07/27/2007 (the rules have changed to state that as long as you are a customer for over 60 days you do NOT need to pay the difference between your promo 8830 price & the full retail price).

They will ask for your IMEI code to verify the above, and will double check your SIM card serial number.
Turn "all connections off" (under Manage Connections).
In the SIM card menu, enter "mepd"
Then enter "mep2" and enter the 8 digit unlock code the Global Tech gives you.
Your VZW 8830 is now unlocked.

A painless, 2 minute process; hope that helped.

Karl Thoreson
08-07-2007, 05:20 PM
What 'Ofelas' just said is 100% true. I foud the information on Crackberry.com last night I just finished getting my unlock code and unlocking the phone about 10 minutes ago. Smoooth as butter. A very simple process. Check Crackberry.com's thread for more info...

Karl Thoreson
08-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Yea... and just so you know you DO have to have the third party SIM inserted in to the phone inorder to unlock it. I Tried it with an ATT card from friend and that didn't work. Then, I tried with out any card and that didn't work either. Gotta have the over seas card.

Seawolf
08-07-2007, 07:27 PM

A lot of people on here take themselves too seriously. Think disaffected computer nerds who finally are in a position of power over those who thumbed their nose at them for so many years and you'll get the right idea.

lifties
08-08-2007, 01:47 PM
I loaded the new OS last night. Everything worked fine. I now have 2 new Bluetooth profiles.

While I thought everything was backed up before the installation of the new OS, my BES info was lost. I had to get my phone reactivated by my IT department this morning.

dreamdest
08-08-2007, 03:29 PM
What ofelas posted worked like a charm - i bought my 8830 on eBay, called VZW, got the form, faxed it back, and 10 minutes later my blackberry was unlocked. Fairly simple. Wish it was quad band so i could actually try it out, but they told me that I should keep the unlock code with me when I'm overseas.

JRSCCivic98
08-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Yea... and just so you know you DO have to have the third party SIM inserted in to the phone inorder to unlock it. I Tried it with an ATT card from friend and that didn't work. Then, I tried with out any card and that didn't work either. Gotta have the over seas card.

They must have changed the firmware on the phone to require this with the latest update. This was not required before, nor was there a requirement to have a SIM in the phone to unlock if your phone was an 8800 series phone. The 8800 and 8830 can unlock SIM natively without a card in them. Verizon must have changed this to make it a little more difficult for people to just unlock the phone... I guess they are forcing them to have over seas cards in there now, which is stupid.

stuffing
09-29-2007, 02:47 AM
hi im with telus and my 8830 says unknown

Sim unknown
network unknown
network subset unknown
service provider unknown
corporate unknown

so what does that mean?? and how do i get it to tell me what it really is? and if i call telus will they unlock it for me. I payed full price for the 8830

MPScan
09-29-2007, 08:13 PM
If anyone on here wants to unlock their 8830 and does not have a foreign valid SIM card, simply get one here:

UK SIM Card - Buy Now (http://www.mobell.com/sim/sim_order.asp)

It's like $2.95 for shipping, and you will get a real valid sim card with a UK phone number... you just pay per use for calls you make, and if you don't plan on using the number or making any calls, there are no future charges.

Worked like a breeze on my 8830 to unlock it, and the company is legit.

blackburry001
10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
They must have changed the firmware on the phone to require this with the latest update. This was not required before, nor was there a requirement to have a SIM in the phone to unlock if your phone was an 8800 series phone. The 8800 and 8830 can unlock SIM natively without a card in them. Verizon must have changed this to make it a little more difficult for people to just unlock the phone... I guess they are forcing them to have over seas cards in there now, which is stupid.

I called today to unlock my phone but customer service said I needed my Verizon Sim card in order for them to unlock the phone. Is this true? Or do I need a foreign SIM card?

illmatic282
10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
i just called verizon to unlock my phone, and they just told me to insert my verizon sim card, and the rep on the phone told me how to unlock my phone, and was very nice. And i am in china right now, and i was able to buy a local sim card and use it will no problem.

so, if you want to unlock your phone, just call verizon and it can be done with in 10 minutes.

blackburry001
10-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Ok..I just called Verizon and unlocked my sim card. There is a difference. They said they can't unlock the phone where you can go to other carriers like Sprint to activate the phone. But they can unlock the sim card where you can insert foreign sim card to use. Don't know the difference but since I can use sim cards in Asia I was happy.

Customer rep had me turn off all connections under manage connections..Then went to advance options and selected SIM card..Entered M E P D, then MEP2 and then entered the code. I dont know if all the codes are the same. Message me if you want to try the code they gave me.

Then when you go abroad just put in a local sim card and you are off and running.

jltx114
10-24-2007, 04:28 PM
they make you agree to this

Important Information Regarding Use of Non-Global Phone

Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) Cards in Verizon Wireless Global Phones

Your Verizon Wireless Global Phone is equipped with a compatible Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) Card (the “Global Phone SIM Card”) for use when roaming in ‘GSM Mode’ within the then-current Global Phone Service Area (GPSA), as published on Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless (http://www.verizonwireless.com). When traveling internationally outside of the GPSA, You may use the Global Phones in ‘CDMA Mode’ throughout Verizon Wireless’ international roaming service area, subject to applicable rates, terms and conditions. A current list of countries where international roaming service is available is accessible at Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless (http://www.verizonwireless.com).

To obtain voice/data service outside of the GPSA using a Global Phone in ‘GSM Mode’, Your Global Phone must first be ‘unlocked’ by entering a numerical code (“Unlock Code”) into the phone (see Your phone manufacturer’s user guide for instructions). Once unlocked, You may insert another wireless carrier’s SIM Card (“Other SIM Card”) into the Global Phone to obtain service from that carrier. Each Global Phone has a unique Unlock Code. Unlock Codes are available upon request from Verizon Wireless subject to the following terms and conditions:

1. You must be an authorized contact on your Verizon Wireless account to request an Unlock Code.

2. All Unlock Code requests must be processed by the Global Phone Services Team, which may be contacted at 908-559-4899.

3. For each Global Phone for which an Unlock Code is requested, You must either have: (i) met the minimum contract term for that line of service; or (ii) paid full retail price for the Global Phone. If You have not met either of these requirements, an Unlock Code may be provided to You upon receipt of payment of the difference between the amount paid by You for the Global Phone and the full retail price of the Global Phone. A credit card is required for payment. Your account will be charged ***_______n/a_____ .

4. You agree to use the Global Phone SIM Card when roaming in ‘GSM Mode’ within the then-current GPSA throughout the term of Your Customer Agreement with Verizon Wireless. Failure to abide by this requirement may result in suspension or termination without notice of Your Global Phone service.

5. You agree that Global Phone rates do not apply to any service obtained through the use of Other SIM Cards, and that Verizon Wireless is not responsible for, and has no information about, such service.

6. YOu agree that any and all use of Other SIM Cards in the Global Phone is at YOUR sole risk and expense and is subject to the rates, terms and conditions of the applicable wireless carrier.

7. You agree that, to the extent applicable when using Other SIM Cards, Your use of the Global Phone remains subject to Your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement, Calling Plan and Global Phone terms and conditions, including without limitation, the requirement to abide by all applicable foreign laws when using the Global Phone outside of the United States.

8. You agree that, when signed below by You, these Terms and Conditions become part of your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement and Calling Plan.

I have read and agree to the foregoing Terms and Conditions.

cruisingdog
02-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Dunno, but if I can get mine unlocked by verizon and sprint's is unlocked, there is no reason the bell mobility phone cant be unlocked. Just be prepared for a battle because they will probably tell you that it cant be done but it can

Hi, I noticed that you mentioned that SPRINT 8830's are unlocked by default. Do you know if there is any way of telling if the phone is unlocked or is it one of those deals where you have to travel to another country to find out ?

I am planning a long overseas trip which covers many countries and I don't want to spend the ridiculous $2.29/minute Sprint will charge me. I'll be using SKYPE for international calls that require data access. Sprint charges $0.019/kb - which could add up quickly!

Any tips/hints etc would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Sith_Apprentice
02-09-2008, 05:41 PM
just have sprint enable the international roaming on your account and you can use any SIM you want overseas

Sith_Apprentice
02-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Ok..I just called Verizon and unlocked my sim card. There is a difference. They said they can't unlock the phone where you can go to other carriers like Sprint to activate the phone. But they can unlock the sim card where you can insert foreign sim card to use. Don't know the difference but since I can use sim cards in Asia I was happy.

Customer rep had me turn off all connections under manage connections..Then went to advance options and selected SIM card..Entered M E P D, then MEP2 and then entered the code. I dont know if all the codes are the same. Message me if you want to try the code they gave me.

Then when you go abroad just put in a local sim card and you are off and running.

codes are IMEI based will not be the same for anyone else

cruisingdog
02-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Guys, thanks for your help. So here's what I've done:

I called up Sprint's international roaming service and they've activated my phnoe so I can use it overseas. However Sprint charges an arm and a leg for their services overseas.

After doing some reading, I have found out that the class-action lawsuit last year means that providers must provide you with your master key. I phoned up Sprint and asked for my unlock key. I was told that it was unavailable. I then commented that there was a class action lawsuit that was passed where they have to give me the unlock key. Viola! I was patched through to a technical guy who asked me why I wanted it. I specified that I was traveling abroad and I didn't want to be charged to sprint's network (ie stiffed for a lot of money!). I explained that I was still going to use Sprint in the USA but would like to use other carriers whilst abroad. He was fine with this and then gave me the unlock key.

So now I have my unlock key as well as my international roaming (maybe the same thing) ?

Anyway, just wanted to let you know how to do this.

Thanks for your help. If you have any tips about configuring/verifying the phone to be in unlocked mode, please let me know. Appreciate it.

Be free of the networks!!

Sith_Apprentice
02-09-2008, 06:11 PM
sprint is unlocked out of the box. they must provide you with the OTLK or the master lock key to program your phone, they do not have to provide you the GSM unlock code. You also have to have your account provisioned for international service on sprint.

cruisingdog
02-09-2008, 06:15 PM
sprint is unlocked out of the box. they must provide you with the OTLK or the master lock key to program your phone, they do not have to provide you the GSM unlock code. You also have to have your account provisioned for international service on sprint.

Man, you're awesome. Thanks for the help. Really, really appreciate it.

cruisingdog
02-09-2008, 06:21 PM

So I get the following after entering "MEPD":
Personalization:
SIM Disabled
Network Active
Network Subset Disabled
Corporate Disabled

I assume that my SIM security is disabled ?

Sith_Apprentice
02-09-2008, 06:24 PM
SIM security is the SIM PIN. Network is CDMA Network, Network Subset would be GSM Roaming I would guess.

androw@thestorycompanies.
04-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Where do I find the SIM card on my 8830 Verizon phone?

Sith_Apprentice
04-16-2008, 08:40 PM
the SIM card should be inside the device

hanhao
07-01-2008, 08:00 PM

maybe you are wrong:
my sprint 8830 also says Network: active

but i can use SIM card from china mobile 、china unicom .
is that mean the box locked or unlocked?

neal_517
09-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Please help me to unlocking my Sprint blackberry 8830.

MFG:blackberry
Provider:sprint
IMEI:355771.01.818550.0
Please send me unlocking code if anyone can as soon as fast...Thanx....

putty_tat007
09-18-2008, 09:52 PM
I have to say since I made the huge mistake of buying my Verizon 8830 on eBay with no CD or manual, I have been to so many forums and this is the first one where I have encountered so many brilliant people. I'm truly impressed and amazed by every single one of you. I mean this from the bottom of my impulse buying heart.

I would like to know why everyone says it's impossible to unlock the CDMA portion of the phone. I mean if a hacker can get into a government computer why can't this be done also? I'm so frustrated with this whole locking business. Thank you for what ever information you can give me. :)

putty_tat007
09-18-2008, 10:30 PM
"5. Select the BlackBerry 8830
BlackBerryâ„¢ 4.x Software Download Information on this site will provide the customer"

I have a question, I am at the site but it wants me to download 4.2 not 4.x. Is this the correct download (I downloaded it last night 4.2). Since I already have it then I'm thinking I'm done? :D

RandyGator
09-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I was in China with my 8830 Verizon phone this past April and used it on CDMA and data in most locations.
When I got back I requested a SIM card from Verizon Global Support, they sent it to me free. They said it should have been provide when I bought the phone.

I am now headed back to China and called and got the phone unlocked for a foreign SIM card. NO HASSLE !!!
Now it is a matter of seeing if it really works when I get there. I will need to buy or rent a SIM card when I get there.

Verizon rep. advised I could use either the Verizon card (with their charges) or a Foreign card (but may not get data services).

Hers's hoping all works fine.

archpopoy
01-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Sorry to bring this back up again---

so has anybody tried using a Bell 8830 out of the box with an overseas SIM outside North America?

SUPERGELYDOG
02-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Can Sprint 8830 Be Unlocked For At&t?

dc/dc
02-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Can Sprint 8830 Be Unlocked For At&t?

NO!

Please use the search feature.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/173467-unlock-sprint-8830-usa-networks.html?highlight=8830+unlock+usa