PDA

View Full Version : Data Transfer to New Device

rbgatti
06-07-2007, 07:26 AM
I'll be swapping an 8703e for a new one at a Sprint store today and was wondering...when they perform a transfer of my data from the old to new, if ALL data will transfer?

I'm suspicious of pictures, ring tones, configuration settings, etc. I'm not worried about the things I sync with Outlook on my home PC.

BTW...I've already performed a full backup and sync.

Thanks...

JSanders
06-07-2007, 07:42 AM
rbgatti--I would not let "them" do it, if you mean the Sprint people. You can do it your self easier with more assurance it will work.
Download the latest version of Desktop Manager (ver4.2 Service Pack 2)
Where do I download the latest version of Desktop Manager? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Where_do_I_download_the_latest_version_of_Desktop_Manager%3F)

Use the Switch Device Wizard within DM to move from one BB to the new. It will transfer everything, including MOST third-party apps, all ringtones, pictures, email, call logs, personal settings, etc.

rbgatti
06-07-2007, 07:50 AM
rbgatti--I would not let "them" do it, if you mean the Sprint people. You can do it your self easier with more assurance it will work.
Download the latest version of Desktop Manager (ver4.2 Service Pack 2)
Where do I download the latest version of Desktop Manager? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Where_do_I_download_the_latest_version_of_Desktop_Manager%3F)

Use the Switch Device Wizard within DM to move from one BB to the new. It will transfer everything, including MOST third-party apps, all ringtones, pictures, email, call logs, personal settings, etc.

I run 4.1 now and didn't realize 4.2 had this switch device feature.

I will take your advice and wipe all info before I hand the old one over.

Thanks for the help!

JSanders
06-07-2007, 07:55 AM
You have to have BOTH devices present with you to run the Switch Device Wizard. Why do you have to hand the old BB over? Is it corporate or something?

Switch Device runs great and seamless in most cases. I have used it twice with no problem. If you remove/clear your call logs (Messages > View Folder > Phone Call Logs > Clear) first, it will run faster.

Good luck.

rbgatti
06-07-2007, 08:04 AM
The device has a notification LED/backlight (see my other post) issue and it's a personal device that will fall under warranty since it's only 2 months old.

Having both devices present will be a problem unless I bring my laptop into the store!

We'll see...the individual in the store I deal with is cool and she may let me do the transfer myself there. If not, I have to let them have a try.

JSanders
06-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Ok, so this is an IN-STORE warranty replacement. Gotcha.

At least make a complete backup of your current BB before you drop it off. That way you have something to restore if they can't.

I don't know your Verizon sales person, obviously, but if they are willing to do that for you, cool. It could take 30-45 minutes, be patient. MAKE SURE they know what they are doing. Many don't.

rbgatti
06-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Couldn't I just perform a full restore from the backup to get everything back?

It's the same model BB, would anything be missing?