PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Palm Defector

piusg
06-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Greetings, newfound brethren!

I recently struck a deal with VZW to have them replace my Palm 700p with a BlackBerry 8830. I haven't received it yet, but it'll be here Monday or Tuesday.

You'll probably see a lot of converts from the 700p; if you check the TreoCentral 700p forums (http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85) and Palm's own blog (http://blog.palm.com), you'll see that Palm has been trying to release a Maintenance ROM that addresses some of the massive shortcomings of the Palm 700p platform.

It's been an unparalleled catastrophe. Read for yourself.

So having tolerated the instability and flakiness of the 700p long enough, I nagged Verizon into letting me trade it in for an 8830.

I've been reading the FAQs; anything I should know about the BlackBerry 8830 before I put it into service that may not be in the FAQs?

Cheers!

tifosiv122
06-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I dumped my 700p last month and picked up the 8703e then the 8830. Did you sync with Palm Desktop or Outlook before?

Erik

penguin3107
06-07-2007, 10:01 AM
anything I should know about the BlackBerry 8830 before I put it into service that may not be in the FAQs?

~ Make sure you've changed your data plan to a Blackberry Data Plan. Your Treo data plan will not work.

~ Understand that the internal GPS in the device is crippled and will currently not work for BBMaps, Google Maps, or any other third-party navigation.

Also... it's just an 8830, not an 8830e

piusg
06-07-2007, 10:45 AM
I dumped my 700p last month and picked up the 8703e then the 8830. Did you sync with Palm Desktop or Outlook before?

Actually, my Palm Desktop stopped syncing with my laptop a few days ago. I'll have to see if I can't get it to sync with my desktop at home.

And I haven't actually rceived the 8830 yet... it'll be here Monday or Tuesday.

piusg
06-07-2007, 10:48 AM
~ Make sure you've changed your data plan to a Blackberry Data Plan. Your Treo data plan will not work.

Copy. I will. I still need to tether my 8830 to my laptop while I'm out on the road--something (one of the few things) my Treo did very, very well. Will I still be able to tether as effectively with the BlackBerry?

~ Understand that the internal GPS in the device is crippled and will currently not work for BBMaps, Google Maps, or any other third-party navigation.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS receiver, so that doesn't bug me.

Also... it's just an 8830, not an 8830e

Noted. Thankies. :smile:

penguin3107
06-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Copy. I will. I still need to tether my 8830 to my laptop while I'm out on the road--something (one of the few things) my Treo did very, very well. Will I still be able to tether as effectively with the BlackBerry?

Yes, you'll be able to tether with the 8830. You do need the $15.00 unlimited BlackBerry tethering add-on from Verizon in order to use this feature.
It's a must.
Other carriers offer tethering as part of the Blackberry Data Plan, but Verizon does not. You need the tethering plan in addition to your Blackberry Data Plan.

piusg
06-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Yes, you'll be able to tether with the 8830. You do need the $15.00 unlimited BlackBerry tethering add-on from Verizon in order to use this feature.
It's a must.
Other carriers offer tethering as part of the Blackberry Data Plan, but Verizon does not. You need the tethering plan in addition to your Blackberry Data Plan.

Yeah, I had to do the $15.00 thing with the Palm to for tethering. I'm used to it.

I know that Verizon nickels and dimes users to death but taking it up the wazoo only hurts the first time. They've had their way with me and my wallet so often that now I don't even feel it. :razz:

I may have overlooked this in the FAQ but when the 8830 is connected to a USB port does it charge also? I'd gotten rather used to that with my Treo--I have a dual USB sync/charging cable.

penguin3107
06-07-2007, 11:08 AM
when the 8830 is connected to a USB port does it charge also?

Yes, the 8830 will charge via USB. You do need Blackberry Desktop Manager installed on your PC for this to work.

piusg
06-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the advice, pengiun3107! Very much appreciated!

JSanders
06-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Welcome the Forums, Gregory.

My one bit of advice, which you have likely considered since it does appear from your post that you are reasonable and intelligent fellow. As you get used to your BB8830, try not to compare in your mind all the things that the Treo did, that the BB won't do. There are a few (but third-party apps and workarounds in most cases will cover all that on the BB). Look at the BB as a new device, completely different from the old one and I "think" you will have a better initial experience. Get comfortable and acquainted with what the BB will do and its features, first, and then move on to needed apps to complement the basics.

Good luck, have fun.

birddog
06-07-2007, 11:45 AM

The Blackberry is not 3G, the 700P is -- so you may notice that your connection is not nearly as fast as it was with the 700p.

penguin3107
06-07-2007, 11:53 AM
The Blackberry is not 3G, the 700P is -- so you may notice that your connection is not nearly as fast as it was with the 700p.

The 8830 is 3G. It's an EVDO device when used on Verizon Wireless' network in the US.
EVDO is a 3G wireless technology.

birddog
06-07-2007, 12:09 PM
The 8830 is 3G. It's an EVDO device when used on Verizon Wireless' network in the US.
EVDO is a 3G wireless technology.

Your right.. I stand corrected.

piusg
06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Your right.. I stand corrected.

Gaaaaack! You scared the bejeezus out of me!

I've been used to the near-broadband tethered speed of the 700p for so long that one of my main concerns was how the 8830 would keep up. Once again, penguin3107, thanks for putting my mind at ease.

birddog
06-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Gaaaaack! You scared the bejeezus out of me!

I've been used to the near-broadband tethered speed of the 700p for so long that one of my main concerns was how the 8830 would keep up. Once again, penguin3107, thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Sorry!!!

I was so disappointed that the 8800 was not 3G and then neither was the 8300, I had forgotten that BB slipped 3G into the Verizon 8830. I have been primarily watching the AT&T line.