PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking iPhone

CZBB
06-07-2007, 10:45 AM
From what I have read, it seems like it is going to be hard to unlock the iPhone. Isn't unlocking necessary for the people that travel and are actually going to use the phone in other countries?

Pizzle
06-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Not if you add the International Plan from your carrier. You can roam on their networks with that.

penguin3107
06-07-2007, 11:19 AM
From what I have read, it seems like it is going to be hard to unlock the iPhone. Isn't unlocking necessary for the people that travel and are actually going to use the phone in other countries?

As Pizzle indicated... unlocking is not necessary for overseas use. It's more of a convenience.

It still isn't even clear as to whether the iPhone will have a user-accessible SIM card. If you can't change the SIM card, then unlocking the iPhone would be pointless to begin with.

The iPhone doesn't even have a user-changeable battery... much like an iPod.

CZBB
06-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Wow, this makes me more eager to actually see how the iPhone turns out.

dc/dc
06-07-2007, 03:58 PM
It still isn't even clear as to whether the iPhone will have a user-accessible SIM card.

That would be WEIRD.

penguin3107
06-07-2007, 05:38 PM
That would be WEIRD.

It would be Apple.

Actually Sony/AT&T does this with their WAN enabled laptops.
We have several Vaio laptops in my company without user accessible SIM cards. It would stand to reason that if Apple/AT&T wanted to keep the iPhone under tight control, they may employ a similar setup.

lithic
06-10-2007, 02:05 AM
Not able to switch out the battery? On a mobile phone? Wow, thats a first for me, and big fault in the iPhone. These devices are used to communicate, not play music. Road warrriors at my job carrie a spare battery for their hand helds (and laptops..).

Bad decsion by apple.

stewsan
06-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Gee, being able to roam internationally. What a novel idea, so when I want to order a pizza in Hua Hin Thailand, I'll roam at $2 a minute, try to get my order across in broken Thai, and after $20 in "roaming" charges, I'm ready for a pizza that would have cost $5 if I could have switched sim cards. Hmmmm.

wayneholbrook
06-30-2007, 02:08 PM
According to GSM phone source......the Iphone cannot be unlocked.

zero7404
06-30-2007, 02:27 PM
also....the sim card is not user accessible. it can only be done at an at&t store (apple store won't even do it), and the sim card that comes with each iphone is programmed to it, so no swapping allowed.

of course, i can take apart an iphone in about an hour, but i could care less for the device because it is comes with a message from apple: we don't want you to do your own thing with these devices.....

what also boiled my blood when i walked into an Apple store last nite to buy 2 of these paperweights, was what the rep who sold me the phones said when i deliberately took my pearl out of my pocket and placed it on the counter: "oh, just throw that thing away...."

CableGuy711
06-30-2007, 11:43 PM
^ thats so not true...you use a paper clip on the bottom of the phone and out pops the sim card...lets not spread untrue lies. lol

test54
06-30-2007, 11:48 PM
sakman, you berated the product and then you go buy 2 of them? Alo, cableguy is right, its just another sim tray, use the paper clip and it pops right out. Can be used as ipod without sim in it.

sakman, hope you make some money off those "paperweights"

Galvatron
07-01-2007, 02:25 AM
bu doing your own thing is cool
it's like being froced to eat vanilla icream withou the option to us choclate syrup and penuts to enhance the flavor aples MP4 railroad file format needs to go as wel

Im hoping DVD ohn bought an i phone so he can break apples code yeta again he alredy broke the itunes code.

zero7404
07-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

i was getting one for family in ny, because they could not get it. The other i figured i'd sell....

Apple said that the sim was not serviceable by the user, when i asked.