PDA

View Full Version : t-moblie and gps

bolaber
06-08-2007, 01:08 AM
I do not have a blackberry yet but I am about to purchase one.
I am looking into buying a 8800 and currently I have a contract with t-mobile so i cannot change the service. I did however talk to the people that worked at t-mobile and they said i can pay additional a month to get the service.

However, i've been reading around a little bit and it seems that t-mobile does not support the gps function on the 8800, is that true?

John Clark
06-08-2007, 01:33 AM
That's not true. GPS will work on TMo.

aiharkness
06-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What JC said. But I'll also add, see Stinsonddog's GPS FAQ for details on your options. But to be clear: Tmo does not shut down the gps function on the handheld as (you may have read) is done by another carrier, if that is what you are asking.

focus88844
06-08-2007, 08:01 AM
8800 has a internal GPS that you can use, but the handheld software on the phone from tmobile doesnt have the application to run the GPS.

what you need to do to get it work is to load some other handheld software such from O2, and get on tmo bb data plan, everything works fine.

JSanders
06-08-2007, 08:22 AM
8800 has a internal GPS that you can use, but the handheld software on the phone from tmobile doesnt have the application to run the GPS.

what you need to do to get it work is to load some other handheld software such from O2, and get on tmo bb data plan, everything works fine.

Obviously, yes about the BB Data Plan. But the TMo 8800 does come with the application to run the GPS. Likewise Google or BB Maps will work without paying additional $$s.

Runamuck
06-08-2007, 10:07 AM

Wrong.

I've been an 8800 user with Tmobile since it was released. I've never purchased any other GPS appliction other than what came pre-installed on the phone (BBerry Maps). I've also downloaded Google Maps. I have used BBerry Maps in 3 different countries now and it works fine with the GPS system in all of them. It's not the BEST GPS software, IMHO, but it works out of the box. You don't need to purchase any additional GPS software just to use the GPS functionality on a Tmo-branded 8800.

bolaber
06-08-2007, 10:51 AM
thank you guys so much for the quick reply

takeshi
06-08-2007, 11:55 AM
You can run any number of GPS-enabled apps on the 8800. Some have an associated cost, some don't. Some have more features than others. I personally recommend Telenav if you're looking for in car navigation as it has voice prompts, and it's quick in rerouting in my experience. It is $10/month for unlimited routes.

In any case, read up on the apps, download and try them and determine which fits you best...