PDA

View Full Version : Using Cingular locked 8700c on TMobile?

PoopEater
06-08-2007, 10:02 PM
So my friend has an 8700c that he used to use for work (it has some corporate OS dealie on it), and it is no longer active. He said I could have it if I could figure out how to get it to work with Tmobile.

So I know that I have to unlock it, that's not a problem. How would I go about wiping the 'corporate system' OS and reinstalling? I looked at the blackberry FAQ, and TMobile didn't have an OS listed for the 8700c. Can I just use the cingular standard OS, and then put a Tmobile sim card in?

Please help.

John Clark
06-08-2007, 10:06 PM
First, you need to have the BB unlocked by either cingular or a 3rd party unlocking service. Once that's done then you need to remove the IT policy. Here is the thread for doing that. Follow it exactly.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/67224-remove-policy.html

You shouldn't have to reload the OS.

penguin3107
06-08-2007, 10:08 PM
So my friend has an 8700c that he used to use for work (it has some corporate OS dealie on it), and it is no longer active. He said I could have it if I could figure out how to get it to work with Tmobile.

So I know that I have to unlock it, that's not a problem. How would I go about wiping the 'corporate system' OS and reinstalling? I looked at the blackberry FAQ, and TMobile didn't have an OS listed for the 8700c. Can I just use the cingular standard OS, and then put a Tmobile sim card in?

Please help.

Seems like a total 180 from this thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/25272-8700c-i-dont-get.html

Interesting to say the least.

juwaack68
06-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I was actually thinking the same thing.....

PoopEater
06-08-2007, 10:12 PM
First, you need to have the BB unlocked by either cingular or a 3rd party unlocking service. Once that's done then you need to remove the IT policy. Here is the thread for doing that. Follow it exactly.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/67224-remove-policy.html

You shouldn't have to reload the OS.

I don't think this one is that simple. I looked at the IT Policy, and it says "IT Policy: Default".

If I blasted it with the cingular OS, would it get rid of any corporate policy stuff, and would it still work with Tmobile?

PoopEater
06-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Seems like a total 180 from this thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/25272-8700c-i-dont-get.html

Interesting to say the least.
It's actually for my wife. I got rid of my 8700c quite a while ago. She just wants something with a qwerty keyboard for texting. I warned her that the 8700 is a piece of garbage, but this is free, so she can learn the lesson herself.

John Clark
06-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure what the story is....you got it from a friend? Now it's for your wife? Corporate Dealie? Whatever.

It is that simple. Just follow the instructions. However, if you don't have a Cingular account then you are going to have to pay to have it sim unlocked.

Changing the OS does nothing to IT policy.

PoopEater
06-08-2007, 10:18 PM
I got it FROM a friend FOR my wife. I didn't think you guys needed the entire life story of the thing. Just the relevant details. From friend, corporate whatever installed. That's what he told me. "Be sure to wipe the corporate software from it"

If I'm giving it to someone else, using it to stir tea, or making it into a hat is irrelevant. If you want to know about my dog's name, and if he's had his shots, maybe I should post that up, too.

To the other guys in here, I had an 8700c about a year and a half ago, but hated it and got rid of it.

In any case, thanks for the reply.

John Clark
06-08-2007, 10:22 PM
You'd be surprised how many people steal BB's then come here for help to wipe the corporate stuff off them so they can use/sell them. Combine that with your "creative" Username and your previous posts, what would you expect us to think?

Just follow the instructions for Removing IT Policy then work on getting it sim unlocked. Then it will be fine. You can use it on TMobile.

PoopEater
06-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Gotcha....well, rest assured this one isn't stolen. If you read my previous post, you'd see that I wouldn't risk going to jail for stealing such an inferior device. Especially when I can just buy one off of craigslist for ~$125.

Poopeater has been my internet handle now for over 10 years. It makes it easier to remember for all the forums/email accounts/etc that I use. I chose the name when I was younger, and it's just stuck. Perhaps it's due for a change, but as those other people pointed out in that last thread, I don't care for change.