PDA

View Full Version : 8830 Voice Dialing Problems

Maragonos
06-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Posted this already at 8830 site, someone suggested posting at 8800 as well...

Has anyone encountered problems with voice dialing on 8830? Even under perfect conditions (i.e. not in the car) it seems to fail to recognize voice comand approximately 80-90% of time. Relaxing the stringency of recognition only gives more wrong options. Not sure how it hears "Call George" and offers "Did you say - call Erin?" Often it will miss it altogether and give the status of battery and coverage when asked to call, for example, "John".

In addition, when 8830 confirms the name to call, the pronounciation of the names from the address list is often unrecognizable.

1) Is there an option to improve name recognition as there is for numbers?
2) Is there a 3rd party software that could help solve this issue?

Thanks!

bbdak
07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Hello,

I am a new VZW 8830 user also, with **exactly** the same problem. I think I may have it figured out now. The BB voice reco software seems to care about the "first name / last name" order in the 8830's address book, so try saying the last name first if that's how your contact cards are organized in Outlook and/or in the 8830. This may work *even if* you have your 8830 set to *display* the contacts in first name / last name order.

I just tried that and am getting much better results now.

Also, at least for now I have the Voice Dialing Sensitivity set to -3, and the Name Playback Speed at -2. I may change those back to default settings later.

Good luck.