PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Treo User thinking of jumping ship- questions

Ross0
06-12-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm on a sweet plan with my treo, but looking to make the move to a BB. And have a few questions:

1) I will not be using it with a corporate exchange or BES (going to use it with my .edu and my gmail account). What are my options for syncing the calendar. Is it even possible with anything? (outlook or some standalone Palm type calendar app on PC?)

2)Its my understanding that the $39.99 monthly data plan (I'm with SPCS) does NOT include text messaging, rather I have to pay for that separately, is that correct?

3) There is no Sprint retention deal for cheaper BB data, correct?

4) Have users jumping ship been able to keep all existing retention plans and perks and just adding BB data when they get their new unit? I'd love to keep my basic plan, including $5 unl text and other perks.

Thanks!

Naked Wife
06-12-2007, 06:17 PM
You can sync your calendar with the USB wire. Text messaging is not included, but if you already have $5 unlimited you wont have a problem keeping it. The Blackberry Data Plan is just an add-on to your voice plan. Its like adding or removing Vision. As far as getting a cheaper BB plan, the only thing Ive heard of is some people managed to talk Sprint into giving them a percentage off the total bill or a recurring monthly credit for some of the added cost. Its not typical though. Good luck and keep in mind that Sprint includes PAM (phone as a modem) with the BB Data Plan so you can tether all you want at EVDO speed.

Walt
06-12-2007, 06:27 PM
The phone as modem feature is great. I'm using it right now. It's very fast and I couldn't believe it but I'm able to get phone calls while online.

I'm on a sweet plan with my treo, but looking to make the move to a BB. And have a few questions:

1) I will not be using it with a corporate exchange or BES (going to use it with my .edu and my gmail account). What are my options for syncing the calendar. Is it even possible with anything? (outlook or some standalone Palm type calendar app on PC?)

2)Its my understanding that the $39.99 monthly data plan (I'm with SPCS) does NOT include text messaging, rather I have to pay for that separately, is that correct?

3) There is no Sprint retention deal for cheaper BB data, correct?

4) Have users jumping ship been able to keep all existing retention plans and perks and just adding BB data when they get their new unit? I'd love to keep my basic plan, including $5 unl text and other perks.

Thanks!

bberry1914
06-12-2007, 06:42 PM
You can sync your calendar with the USB wire. Text messaging is not included, but if you already have $5 unlimited you wont have a problem keeping it. The Blackberry Data Plan is just an add-on to your voice plan. Its like adding or removing Vision. As far as getting a cheaper BB plan, the only thing Ive heard of is some people managed to talk Sprint into giving them a percentage off the total bill or a recurring monthly credit for some of the added cost. Its not typical though. Good luck and keep in mind that Sprint includes PAM (phone as a modem) with the BB Data Plan so you can tether all you want at EVDO speed.

I was able to swich from Nextel to Sprint and keep my $10/mo discount. And the text package is only $5 for 1000. With having email on your phone I find that I don't use as much txting.

Ross0
06-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks to everyone for responding. I appreciate the help.

Quick question in regards to calendar sync via USB wire. I was unaware you could connect your BB directly to your PC to sync, what program could I sync to? Outlook's calendar? Does that also sync mail?

Thinking of jumping ship.

Thanks,
Jason

takeshi
06-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Desktop Manager is included with all BB's and it includes a sync app. I don't recall all the apps it syncs to (it's a very short list) but Outlook syncs really well and it's pretty close to being a standard in that nearly everything syncs to Outlook -- in case you switch from BB in the future.

Email doesn't sync on any BB. Email is pushed and reconciled (the latter isn't the same as sync).

I was unaware you could connect your BB directly to your PC to sync
You might want to do some research then before jumping ship: BlackBerry - BlackBerry Services & Software | Desktop Applications, Enterprise Server, Downloads & Games (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/#tab_tab_desktop) ;-)

Blackberry.com, BlackberryFAQ.com and this site are chock full of useful information.

Ross0
06-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks, I was going to say I thought it pushed and didn't want it to sync my email. I'm using a BB now for work and love it, hence why I want to switch on my personal device. I'm changing jobs in August and losing the BB and now that i've become so used to it i want to get rid of the Treo.