PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone so quiet about this issue: OS for 8800

bmwmpower
06-12-2007, 08:13 PM
On the 8700 forums, there's lots of buzz going around about new OS this, new OS that, with a million different updates. What is the absolute newest OS for the 8800? I was poking around two different blackberry forums and found no answers. Closest thing I've found was some TALK about a Rogers OS which is apparently newer than the 4.2.174 I'm using. Thanks!!!:idea:

dc/dc
06-12-2007, 08:26 PM
There's always buzz for a weeks around a release, but there hasn't been an 8800 release in a little while, so there's not much about it.

The absolute latest release is from Rogers, and it is package 4.2.1.138, with applications version 4.2.1.90. There is a newer package from at&t, but it has older applications.

Dubdub
06-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Why is everyone so excited and so quick to update to the latest and greatest? Seems to me that it would be best to wait until your carrier released the new version for your device and their network.

dc/dc
06-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Why is everyone so excited and so quick to update to the latest and greatest? Seems to me that it would be best to wait until your carrier released the new version for your device and their network.

Because we're whores? I don't know. Oftentimes, the updates for the device are not really customized for the carrier, and usually fix bugs.

camaxtli
06-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Because we're whores? I don't know. Oftentimes, the updates for the device are not really customized for the carrier, and usually fix bugs.
lol:smile:

smilingburgers
06-12-2007, 09:43 PM

Ha! It's true!

JSanders
06-12-2007, 09:50 PM
BMW, do less poking and more searching... There is a thread that is kept up to date here with just that info:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/58404-latest-operating-system-available-each-blackberry-device.html?highlight=latest

bmwmpower
06-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks I seen that but didn't have the time to go through it at the time. Besides why isn't that stickied at the top of the 8800 forum just like the 8700 forums have their latest OSs at the top??

bmwmpower
06-12-2007, 11:58 PM
I guess my question really was: why isn't this discussed as a big deal in the 8800 forum? It's like nobody cares

dc/dc
06-13-2007, 07:55 AM
I guess my question really was: why isn't this discussed as a big deal in the 8800 forum? It's like nobody cares

Because there are fewer 8800 owners than there are 8700 owners?

lmwong
06-13-2007, 08:27 AM
So does anyone know when 4.2.2 will be released for 8800? I'm anxiously waiting for A2DP support so I can use my stereo headphones. I might have to get a 8300 if there's no update.

Dubdub
06-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I am happy with what I have on my 8800. The old adage more thanapplies to me: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

JSanders
06-13-2007, 08:50 AM
And the OS I am running on my 8800 is performing quite well.

takeshi
06-13-2007, 10:19 AM
On the 8700 forums, there's lots of buzz going around about new OS this, new OS that, with a million different updates.
That's because 4.2 wasn't available for the 8700's until recently. It's standard on the 8800. There will probably be more talk about updates for the 88xx's when the time comes. In the mean time the updates have been pretty minor fixes which aren't worth getting worked up about since in most cases there aren't really any noticeable changes. That's why you're not seeing: "Whee! I went from 4.2.1.73 to 4.2.1.79!!". ;-)

Seems to me that it would be best to wait until your carrier released the new version for your device and their network.
Not really -- unless you just enjoy waiting. Your carrier-specific configs are handled by the service books. If there's a bugfix in another carrier's load there's no reason to not use the other carrier's OS.

Les Armitage
06-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Just Checking

I presume no problems are being experienced installing OS to BB's supplied by other companies for instance my airtime supplier is vodafone UK. would the Rogers OS run okay?

(y)

dc/dc
06-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Just Checking

I presume no problems are being experienced installing OS to BB's supplied by other companies for instance my airtime supplier is vodafone UK. would the Rogers OS run okay?

(y)

Yes, it will run masterfully.

John Clark
06-14-2007, 12:08 AM
... Besides why isn't that stickied at the top of the 8800 forum just like the 8700 forums have their latest OSs at the top??

I stuck the Rogers 4.2.1.90 OS thread again. We cleaned up the stickies a while back, as they were getting to be a mess, and I think that one accidentally got unstuck. We're trying to keep the latest OS thread a sticky in each forum.

RoC1909
06-14-2007, 01:07 AM

You are correct. It's like everyone getting their 'panties in a bunch' with Microsoft updates. Do you REALLY want to fix something that is broken but trash something that was working when applying fixes? I always update if the update fixes things that I had concerns about. If it becomes mandatory to have the latest and greatest (like some software needs) then it's a no brainer but to update just because it is there, never good in my book.

takeshi
06-14-2007, 09:19 AM

It's not a problem and it's done all the time if you look around in the various forums.

Your carrier-specific settings are provided by the service books pushed by your carrier's network and not the OS load itself. I've done this all the time with my 7290, both 8700c's and my 8800. It's actually quite rare that I run my carrier's OS unless the device has just been released by the carrier or I'm perfectly happy with my carrier's OS.

You are correct. It's like everyone getting their 'panties in a bunch' with Microsoft updates. Do you REALLY want to fix something that is broken but trash something that was working when applying fixes? I always update if the update fixes things that I had concerns about. If it becomes mandatory to have the latest and greatest (like some software needs) then it's a no brainer but to update just because it is there, never good in my book.
Again, everyone has different needs and wants. I'm in IT so we're always running the latest updates as the test group before patches/updates/etc are deployed to everyone else. I do the same thing with my personal BB as I'm effectively my wife's IT department as well (she relies on her BB heavily as she's self-employed)... Plus, on forums sites like this you're going to have a lot of geeks who want to check out the latest. It's really no big deal as you can always revert to a prior OS load if you need to.

...and for yet another pro-upgrade reason: Since we don't get release notes from RIM we have no idea if these upgrades were worthwhile or not except when the "pioneers" who do constantly upgrade tell us what has changed in a new release. It was those people who found out that the ringtone volume issue on the 8700 was first resolved on (IIRC) Telestra's OS update for that BB.

That doesn't mean that everyone should upgrade every time there's a new release out there but there are reasons whether you understand them or not. Or whether they apply to you or not.

dc/dc
06-14-2007, 09:22 AM
It's not a problem and it's done all the time if you look around in the various forums.

Your carrier-specific settings are provided by the service books pushed by your carrier's network and not the OS load itself. I've done this all the time with my 7290, both 8700c's and my 8800. It's actually quite rare that I run my carrier's OS unless the device has just been released by the carrier or I'm perfectly happy with my carrier's OS.

x2.

checkcashing
07-10-2007, 07:03 PM
i ordered my 8800 today.....i had a 8700 with the new OS....does the 8800 have the picture caller id?

davistld01
07-10-2007, 07:37 PM
If a new OS was a drastic change for the better, then it would be buzz-worthy. But, from what I see lately...the latest versions offer extremely minor changes if any at all. Why get excited if there is really nothing new?

dc/dc
07-10-2007, 09:45 PM
i ordered my 8800 today.....i had a 8700 with the new OS....does the 8800 have the picture caller id?

This has nothing to do with the original topic. Thanks for making a stupid post.