PDA

View Full Version : GPS on Verizon 8830

DrRoger
06-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Hello,

I took a look at Verizon 8830 today. Silver finish. No black finish available yet. I would have bought it except Verizon VZ Nav does not run on it. It is GPS enabled but you'd use Google maps. The sales rep didn't know whether it can give directions or not.

I'm using a Palm T3 at the office and was looking to combine a PDA and cellphone, but I am disappointed Verizon could not have VZNav on the 8830. Ah well.

Would apprec. any feedback on how well the GPS function is on the 8830.

Roger

John Clark
06-16-2007, 02:25 PM
NO GPS function on the Verizon 8830, not even with Google. Verizon locks it down. If you want GPS from your BB you'll need the 8800 or you'll have to purchase a Bluetooth GPS puck.

trams
06-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Good GPS 8830 info:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/81331-verizon-confirms-testing-vz-navigator-blackberries.html

DrRoger
06-16-2007, 07:40 PM
NO GPS function on the Verizon 8830, not even with Google. Verizon locks it down. If you want GPS from your BB you'll need the 8800 or you'll have to purchase a Bluetooth GPS puck.

On checking with Tech support today, and also by a rep I talked to earlier, I was told that a customer needs to sign on to the $50 a month data package, and that will enable Blackberry maps and the GPS function. I made a mistake saying Google maps, above. They said that they were *not* aware of the GPS being disabled.
VZNav costs $10 a month; you don't need the data package. They *may* have VZNav for the 8830 (and the Treos) in a few months, but no projected date. Looks like for now I'll just stay with my LG 8300 and use its VZNav whenever I need it like when out of town on a trip.
Roger

John Clark
06-16-2007, 07:44 PM
That would be news to everyone here. You can use BBMaps but there is no GPS function. GPS has always been disabled on Verizon BB's.

jefftse
06-18-2007, 03:34 PM
On checking with Tech support today, and also by a rep I talked to earlier, I was told that a customer needs to sign on to the $50 a month data package, and that will enable Blackberry maps and the GPS function. I made a mistake saying Google maps, above. They said that they were *not* aware of the GPS being disabled.
VZNav costs $10 a month; you don't need the data package. They *may* have VZNav for the 8830 (and the Treos) in a few months, but no projected date. Looks like for now I'll just stay with my LG 8300 and use its VZNav whenever I need it like when out of town on a trip.
Roger

Can anyone confirm this? or it is totally BS?