PDA

View Full Version : A few quick questions about upgrading to OS 4.1 on 7520

blackberry-guy
06-18-2007, 03:12 AM
OkeeDokee,

I realize that there are already threads on this topic (and I have read them). I simply wanted to get some additional info!

I have a Blackberry 7520. I want to make sure I have the latest software on it as well as the latest desktop software.

Currently I have:

OS 4.0.0.160
desktop software 4.1.0.8

So I thought I'd go download the latest "stuff". Welp, after going to the blackberry website I discovered that there are a couple different versions of the Desktop Software. I'm on Dialup and I cannot afford to download version 4.2 (it's WAY too large of a file). But it looks like there are a two slightly newer versions of 4.1 than what I'm using and they are only about 30+mb each. One is listed as SP1 (and I'm a little confused if that is the ENTIRE application that's updated to SP1 or if it's just an update that you need to "apply").

Is the SP1 file on the blackberry site the ENTIRE application or just an upgrade?

Also, I downloaded a file from this forum named "BlackBerry.alx" because it was listed as a file to have along with the OS updates. What exactly is this for?

At any rate, I've read a few threads here about updating to OS 4.1 and I still can't figure out the exact update process. Some tell you that you need to install one program FIRST on the PC and some instructions talk about making sure to delete a small file off of your PC (I can't think of the name right off).

I've read through the threads here, but would simply like a simple step-through before I take the big step forward :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

blackberry-guy

joebogey
07-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I an only tell you about my experience with upgrading on a VZW 7250. I went to the VZW site (you may want to check the Boost site) and there are two files. One is the phone software for the Desktop Manager, the other is the actual phone OS. First install the Desktop Manager Software, then install the new phone OS. You can forget the delete file piece as that applied to when you were installing Alltel software on a Sprint phone (just an example), so you'd have to delete the Alltel file and copy the Sprint file so it would work on the Sprint network. This was mainly because not all carriers released the new software at the same time. You should have no problem getting the new software from your carrier.