PDA

View Full Version : Got my new phone!

Sleam
06-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Returned my 8703e today in my exchange period and bought the 8830 instead for VZW!

So far im excited but havent messed with it too much.

I bought a 2 GB memory card and a black silicone case just for those days i might want it more than the pouch. Very happy with the pouch though!

I got the phone for only $99 after a $100 mail-in rebate. Very cheap!

tomtheguitarguy
06-18-2007, 03:48 PM
From a VZW Store, or authorized agent? That's a good price!

Sleam
06-18-2007, 03:53 PM
From a VZW store! I got a corporate discount from where my mom works. I think they said I got a $100 rebate for the fact that I signed up for the Unlimited Data package too.

So it was 199, then a 100 mail-in

tomtheguitarguy
06-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Oh I see!

I'm having difficulty just getting a VZW store to honor the $299 price plus $100 MIR - all of them here in SoCal (at least my area) just keep going with $399 - $100 MIR for $299 net. I can get it online w/ VZW for $199 after MIR, so you definitely got a good price. Congrats and I hope you enjoy!

tomtheguitarguy

J.J.
06-18-2007, 05:00 PM
I could not get them to honor the extra $100 off either. I extended my contract for two years and bought the $45 data package. They said I was not eligible for the additional $100 off because I upgraded early.

I ended-up paying $299 after MIR. $199 sounds way better though!

JJ

RedSoxFan
06-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Returned my 8703e today in my exchange period and bought the 8830 instead for VZW!

So far im excited but havent messed with it too much.

I bought a 2 GB memory card and a black silicone case just for those days i might want it more than the pouch. Very happy with the pouch though!

I got the phone for only $99 after a $100 mail-in rebate. Very cheap!

Sleam,

Congrats on the new 8830. Sounds like you got the best deal possible. I too have the 8703e and have loved it. However, I am getting ready to upgrade my phone and I'm still tip-toeing the idea of getting the 8830. I know the pouch was a concern for you (from your other posts) as it is for me too. Are you very happy with it? Is it much like the plastic cases the 8703e's have standard?

Also, keep us informed on how you like the 8830 over your 8703e.

Thanks.

QWKNEWSS
06-18-2007, 06:40 PM
I did the same thing, within the 30 day window. I like the 8830 much better in almost evey way. I got mine the day it came out so it cost full price, but luckily work picked up the tab on it. So far so good!

Sleam
06-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Sleam,

Congrats on the new 8830. Sounds like you got the best deal possible. I too have the 8703e and have loved it. However, I am getting ready to upgrade my phone and I'm still tip-toeing the idea of getting the 8830. I know the pouch was a concern for you (from your other posts) as it is for me too. Are you very happy with it? Is it much like the plastic cases the 8703e's have standard?

Also, keep us informed on how you like the 8830 over your 8703e.

Thanks.

Remember, I'm no business leader or person with a ton of emails piling into my device. Just a college student who has always loved BB's. I use it more for personal issues such as browser, AIM (JiveTalk), and occasional emails. I just wanted a BB for the stability. Which with my 8703e I didn't have the best of luck with :(

I've just been letting it fully charge and now im getting the apps on it. The case for it just feels better because it's a pouch instead of a clip. I love the clip but i feel i like the pouch better on my side.

So far the pros: Pouch, Better Themes including Zen, Trackball, Nicer feel in hand and also looks nicer IMHO. Call clarity is pretty good so far and havent noticed the "echo" people talk about, better ringtones but alot of the same ones. (Those are the main things to me that are better that i have noticed so far. The keyboard people complain about but i havent noticed a problem yet.)

The cons: Seems alittle slow to react to the trackball movement (Trackball is faster than the selector in some spots.) Nothing major as of yet!

Ill keep ya posted! If people have any questions you can reach me on AIM at haitskane

Sydeshow MO
06-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Nice p/up and damnnnn at a good price! Zen theme is the $hit! Feels like you have more real estate on your screen if your running the Zen theme (y)

Telenav is a must have!

Sleam
06-19-2007, 12:22 AM
The zen theme is nice, but the standard verizon theme that it comes with is very nice also. Like the Zen theme but the icons are at the bottom. I prefer it over the Zen theme on this handheld.

Sydeshow MO
06-19-2007, 12:28 AM
The zen theme is nice, but the standard verizon theme that it comes with is very nice also. Like the Zen theme but the icons are at the bottom. I prefer it over the Zen theme on this handheld.

Yeah, I dont know what the VAW theme looks like. I just couldnt stand seeing all the icons on the screen and my daughter changed it to Zen and I was like "how you do that".

Sleam
06-20-2007, 05:57 PM
My phone froze up last night while using the Media player and surfing the web. I turned it off and then back on after about 20 seconds and everything seemed normal. The trackball though didn't make its click noise anymore and the audible noise is the click.

I had to take the battery fully out for the phone to reset and get the trackball working again.

I don't know what to do with this phone. Keep it or not lol

RedSoxFan
06-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Keep us posted Sleam. Let us know how the battery life is doing as well.

Cheers.

Sleam
06-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm not a heavy user as some of these people probably are. I use the JiveTalk frequently, and the internet browser when i'm bored. My birthday was yesterday though and i got alittle more emails and calls than normal. The battery lasted pretty much the full day.

Im just upset that it seems as if every blackberry i touch seems to reset itself :(

Im still debating if im gunna keep the blackberry or go back to the sidekick. I know they are different phones in many factors, but for what I'm wanting to do with it, the Sidekick might fit my needs more. I'm not totally sure just yet because im not too fond of T mobile's service but who knows.

I like all the extra options and stuff you can do with the blackberry though compared to the sidekick.

-Sleam

RedSoxFan
06-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Never owned a sidekick but can tell you that the 8703e is very strong. I use the BB messenger between 5 other people and it works flawlessly. I also do heavy emailing, SMS and phone without the battery draining and any freezes. In fact, I've never had a freeze up since I had a Treo. The 8703 just doesn't have the media and other new features that the 8830 does. But if I keep hearing the problems with users of the 8830 I won't get it.

Sleam
06-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Will you add me on AIM so we can talk alittle more about this please?

haitskane = AIM screename