PDA

View Full Version : Suretype Lowdown

theBorg
06-20-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm given to understand that the software behind the suretype keyboard on the Pearl has been updated to be more intelligent than the 71xx's.

The Suretype on my 7100 is moderately maddening. It's the one aspect about the device that I'm really dissatisfied with. Words get confused all the time - see/are, wife/wide (!), hey/get, day/fat... It seems there's no consideration of context at all. Spelling unusual words is cumbersome. The more words it learns, the less accurate it becomes.

It's a soluble problem. For example Motorola's predictive text software does a commendable job - context sensitivity and lists more possible combinations.

For users who have gone from the old Suretype to the new, is it really much better? How so?

zachberry
06-20-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm given to understand that the software behind the suretype keyboard on the Pearl has been updated to be more intelligent than the 71xx's.

The Suretype on my 7100 is moderately maddening. It's the one aspect about the device that I'm really dissatisfied with. Words get confused all the time - see/are, wife/wide (!), hey/get, day/fat... It seems there's no consideration of context at all. Spelling unusual words is cumbersome. The more words it learns, the less accurate it becomes.

It's a soluble problem. For example Motorola's predictive text software does a commendable job - context sensitivity and lists more possible combinations.

For users who have gone from the old Suretype to the new, is it really much better? How so?

what the duck see you talking about?

Ha! yeah its much improved on the pearl's in my experiance.....

arronc
06-20-2007, 04:54 PM
My pearl has learned that I dont mean "duck" or "shut." In fact, ive typed those two words so often that duck and shut are never the first to pop anymore.

Does that make me a bad person?

JSanders
06-20-2007, 05:00 PM
My pearl has learned that I dont mean "duck" or "shut." In fact, ive typed those two words so often that duck and shut are never the first to pop anymore.

Yes. You are a bad person. Clean up your act or you will be forced to use a Treo for 36-48 months.

jdposhkus
06-20-2007, 09:10 PM
I aclimated to suretype on the 7100i and found it to be servicable, but frustrating at times. I will support the claim that it is much improved on the Pearl. I almost never have to retype.

King-B
06-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah. Suretype is great on the pearl. My only gripe is that if your spelling a long word, and you accidently strike the wrong letter, the entire word changes.

King-B
06-20-2007, 10:47 PM

Isnt blackberry is business phone. Your not suppose to cuss in an email. Thats not professional at all!!!! :x :-( (n)

Go get a sidekick3......sinner

Pizzle
06-20-2007, 11:00 PM
To the OP...The Pearl is the one and only SureType BB I've used, and as a staunch Qwerty supporter, I give it my full endorsement. If I didn't always have to have the new, hot thing, I would've remained very satisfied with the Pearl and it's ability to type what I wanted quickly.

arronc
06-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Isnt blackberry is business phone. Your not suppose to cuss in an email. Thats not professional at all!!!! :x :-( (n)

Go get a sidekick3......sinner

But....but.....I just left sidekick3 hell......

Why didnt I just say shoot and fudge?!?! WHY?!?!?!?!?!

JGBerry
06-21-2007, 10:09 AM

honestly, i think SureType and any other variation sucks. unless they can "tap" into your brain, no massive amounts of programming software can predict what you want to say. even based on reading previous words in the sentence, multiple words using the same keys could be an input. you will always find yourself having to re-type or "re-teach" the software.

the QWERTY is easy and quick and it works really well. it allows you to instantly start typing fast and not have to worry about learning the new keypad style. QWERTY is the way to go for me

kcmo
06-21-2007, 04:48 PM
The Pearl is my first SureType experience and I have to say that after more than 6 months of use....I HATE it! So much so that I'm now going back to the 8700g until TMO gets their version of the Curve!

Yes my Pearl has 'learned' some words, but I would have thought after 6 months it would have learned way MORE than it has. It drives me up the wall and slows me down.

Of course the known microphone issue doesn't help either.

Oh well....can't wait to get back to the 8700g!

nuopus
06-21-2007, 05:41 PM
For me, suretype has become natural. I can type just as fast with suretype as I can on a qwerty. How is it different? The letter layout is the same, its just a matter of getting used to it. The main advantage for me, is that I can type with one hand fast without looking at the keyboard at all. This makes it easy for me to text in the car. I just keep my hand with blackberry on my console, my other hand on the wheel and eyes on the road and write an email.

BBPearlGurl
06-21-2007, 07:33 PM
I disabled my SureType on my Pearl because it's so annoying. It takes waaaay too long! I can type faster than the SureType can think, so it's a hinderance for me. I tried it out for a while, but I didn't see the benefit.

JGBerry
06-21-2007, 08:40 PM
The Pearl is my first SureType experience and I have to say that after more than 6 months of use....I HATE it! So much so that I'm now going back to the 8700g until TMO gets their version of the Curve!

Yes my Pearl has 'learned' some words, but I would have thought after 6 months it would have learned way MORE than it has. It drives me up the wall and slows me down.

Of course the known microphone issue doesn't help either.

Oh well....can't wait to get back to the 8700g!

what's the known microphone issue?

JGBerry
06-21-2007, 08:43 PM
For me, suretype has become natural. I can type just as fast with suretype as I can on a qwerty. How is it different? The letter layout is the same, its just a matter of getting used to it. The main advantage for me, is that I can type with one hand fast without looking at the keyboard at all. This makes it easy for me to text in the car. I just keep my hand with blackberry on my console, my other hand on the wheel and eyes on the road and write an email.

you should be careful when texting in the car. it's really dangerous.
the state of new jersey just recently made it a PRIMARY offense to either talk on a phone without a earpiece/bluetooth/speakerphone, OR text/email while driving