PDA

View Full Version : Using an AT&T BB on Cingular?

bradonrogers
05-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Is there any possible way to use an AT&T Blackberry on the Cingular Network? I've got an AT&T WS Blackberry, but can't get service enabled on it because AT&T WS doesn't exist anymore. I don't expect Cingular replaced every single AT&T Wireless Blackberry with one of their own, so this should work since it supports GSM / GPRS services. Cingular wants to charge me a $100 fee to provide a code which will "unlock" the phone so that it can be used on their service. Is this code unique to the device or is this something that I can find out from a forum or other location? I do not want to pay them $100 simply to allow me to use a phone on their network.

Is this a racket or what?

NJBlackBerry
05-12-2005, 10:03 AM
There are many, many threads on unlocking BlackBerrys. Anyway; the unlock code is unique to the device. At least Cingular will unlock it (for a fee) - they told us they would not unlock them at all. The only alternative is to send it to Bongo Wireless in Canada, with $100 (sound familiar) and they will unlock it.

No other solutions out there today.

PhilMax
05-12-2005, 10:19 AM
I think it is lame that Cingular will somehow not accomodate a customer from a company / service that they merged with. Go to the following link and maybe see if you can't get some help either through the live Tech Support Chat Forum or the RIM Blackberry Forum listed farther down. This site is supposed to provide information and support for former ATT customers.

http://support.cingular.com/awswls/support/index.jsp

Invalid Sim
05-12-2005, 10:19 AM
I thought you couldnt do a remote unlock with the BB. If thats the case ill go with them over sending my phone to Canada anyday

NJBlackBerry
05-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Of course you can do a remote unlock. T-Mobile does them every day. The other carriers choose not to give you the unlock codes.

Invalid Sim
05-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Bongo says its not possible...thats where I got the notion from

NJBlackBerry
05-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Bongo can not do it remotely.

T-Mobile more than happily gives you the unlock codes, and the process for unlocking the BlackBerry. Cingular now says they may do it for $100. Rogers (Canada) also charges. AT&T (RIP) would NEVER give you the code.

Invalid Sim
05-12-2005, 10:42 AM
T-Mobile gives em out free?

NJBlackBerry
05-12-2005, 10:46 AM
If you have been a customer for 3 months and are up to date on your payments, they will unlock their phones for free. They can not unlock other carriers devices.

Invalid Sim
05-12-2005, 10:53 AM
My convo with Cingular tech support

Me
I currently have an ATT Wireless model of a Blackberry 7280, I was under the assumption that I could just put it my current Cingular sim and have service but it says that it is an INVALID sim. Apparently, ATT locked all of their phones, and since this is a pre-merger phone, my sim card will not work without the unlock code. How can I settle this because i need service as soon as possible.

Sparkle: To Me
We do apologize at this time ATTWS does not support unlocking their device

Sparkle: To Me
YOu can contact RIM to get assistance with getting it unlocked

NJBlackBerry
05-12-2005, 11:01 AM
You can contact RIM to get assistance with getting it unlocked
And RIM will tell you to contact your carrier.

Need that address for Bongo Wireless :-(

PhilMax
05-12-2005, 11:06 AM
I don't know if this makes any difference or applies at all, but we used (still do just for voice plans) ATTWS. I was part of a pilot group evaluating BBs which we got from Cingular. When the unit arrived, shipped directly from Cingular, the box had a label with my name and cell phone number on it. When I activated the unit with the SIM that cam in it, I got an Invalid SIM error message. I then removed the SIM from my ATTWS phone, installed it in the Cingular BB and it has worked great. We did have to provide our BB admin with the serial number of the SIM before we recieved the units. Maybe the difference is we are a nationwide business account? Or SIMs in phones not locked like they are in BBs?

NJBlackBerry
05-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Is the BB from Cingular? Until the merger with ATT, Cingular did NOT lock their BlackBerrys. A 7100g will work with a Cingular OR AT&T SIM card. But an AT&T branded BB will work with only an AT&T SIM card.

Invalid Sim
05-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Just came back from Cingular...

Guess im headed to bongos

ncm5
10-04-2005, 05:08 PM
is there a way to get an at&t blackberry 7210 to work with a cingular sim card

NJBlackBerry
10-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Bongo Wireless.

http://www.bongowireless.com

thomasdietrich
09-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Hello,

I've got an AT&T 7210 and I'm trying to unlock. I've got the unlock code, but the process isn't working like it did for other units. I go to the SIM card area and type mepd, which displays:
SIM Card: No Valid SIM Card
Personalization
SIM Disabled
Network Inactive
Network Subset Disabled
Service Provider Disabled
Corporate Disabled

When I type the mep2 I don't get anything. I've tried removing battery, etc, but I can't get to the unlock screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom