PDA

View Full Version : YahooGo on 8800

donc36
06-22-2007, 11:25 AM
For those of you who are looking for this, Yahoo Go! is now available for the 8800.

Don

Triforce66
06-22-2007, 12:43 PM
what exactly do you get with YahooGo?

donc36
06-22-2007, 02:01 PM
what exactly do you get with YahooGo?

News, weather, directions, yahoo mail basically. It's been availble for other devices for a while, finally available for the 8800.

Yahoo! Go. The Internet to go. (http://mobile.yahoo.com/go)

Don

Stinsonddog
06-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Wow I just checked a few days ago so this is nice. While some didn't like it for it's speed, I did.

jeffabcc
06-22-2007, 02:49 PM
The Yahoo GO web site shows that it is available for the Cingular 8800, but not the Verizon 8830. Before downloading, does anyone think it will or will not work? Isn't the 8830 just a variant of the same family? After all, GSM vs. CDMA shouldn't have any impact on running applications, should it?

jeffabcc
06-22-2007, 03:08 PM
OK I answered my own question by attempting to download it OTA. I got a message from Yahoo stating that it will be available for the 8830 shortly.

donc36
06-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Wow I just checked a few days ago so this is nice. While some didn't like it for it's speed, I did.

Did you notice the GPS support for the 8800? Haven't experimented with it much, but I didn't expect to see it.

Triforce66
06-24-2007, 06:33 PM
I get "coming soon on the 8830" :( were you able to get it? if so how?

Triforce66
06-24-2007, 06:33 PM
*edited*

Triforce66
06-24-2007, 06:34 PM
OK I answered my own question by attempting to download it OTA. I got a message from Yahoo stating that it will be available for the 8830 shortly.

same :(

cliffr39
06-24-2007, 07:01 PM
hmm I was on that site this time last night and it said Pearl but "coming soon" for Curve and 8800. Hope it's real soon ;)

DaddyFizzle
06-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Downloading it now on my Cingi 8800...

DaddyFizzle
06-24-2007, 08:00 PM
All systems go! Works great!

gibber9583
06-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Anyone want to post some impressions of this software? I am waiting for it for my 8830 and was hoping to hear good things about it!

test54
06-25-2007, 08:54 AM
not bad, i like that i can get my flickr stuff on there. it could be faster but not sure if thats the app or the EDGE connection. but overall i like it, kind of like a mini yahoo portal with connections to their services.

one interesting thing i noticed, when i exit the program it shows the amount of data used in this session, very cool although im on unlimited.

akosnitzky
06-25-2007, 11:04 AM
I use Yahoo and will use this service when ready for 8830. I like the google apps as well. How is the mail app?

test54
06-25-2007, 11:20 AM
very similar to the gmail app that they have. one thing they both lack is a highlighting function, i wish they would include that as I like deleting a bunch at once and without the highlighting i have to go once at a time.

gibber9583
06-25-2007, 11:41 AM
what other google apps are there other than the gmail app, and the Gmap app?

test54
06-25-2007, 12:28 PM
i think its gmail, google search, google news, google maps. I think thats what they currently offer for apps on the BB.

gibber9583
06-25-2007, 12:31 PM
awesome, thanks.

Sorry for hijacking this thread to a new topic.

test54
06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
love to see a version of google docs & spreadsheets on BB, free of course.

Abd7441
06-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Thank you for your information

EvEr_34
06-25-2007, 03:28 PM
sorry for my newbiness but does :

Since Yahoo! Go uses advanced caching and background loading technology, your widget content is automatically and continuously “pushed” to your phone, so it’s always right there when you want it. You don’t need to endure lengthy downloads or navigate loads of links to get to what you want.

Mean that it will continuously use data???

naxet
06-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Searchable POI from GPS location. I like the fact that it had my saved places (ie work, home, parents house) that I had saved at "my.yahoo.com" already loaded in on the BB.

Stinsonddog
06-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Searchable POI from GPS location. I like the fact that it had my saved places (ie work, home, parents house) that I had saved at "my.yahoo.com" already loaded in on the BB.

That's a very nice feature. Have to try it out. I can't recall where it said the POI's come from.

MsJosay
06-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Sorry for the newbie question but, Does anyone know if Yahoo!Go supports bluetooth GPS pucks? I have an 8100 and just ordered a bluetooth GPS puck, I'm looking for a program that has it all, like Yahoo!Go, I've searched the message boards and the Yahoo site but it doesn't specify whether or not it will work with bluetooth GPS.

test54
06-27-2007, 10:03 AM
hmm, not sure. on mine it doesn't have any GPS settings. it says "to set or restrict Y!Go's access to GPS data, change your mobile device's GPS settings"

very ambiguous that could mean that as long as your device is connected to the puck then it should work but im just guessing.

Entropy666
06-27-2007, 03:11 PM
The GPS functionality is great and totally unexpected.
We just did a review of Yahoo Go 2 for BlackBerry at this link:
Review: Yahoo Go Version 2 - Including GPS Support | BerryReview (http://www.berryreview.com/2007/06/27/review-yahoo-go-version-2-including-gps-support/)
I also posted a copy in the BBF Reviews section but it takes a bit for the Moderator to approve it. Tell me what you guys think.

Truthfully I cant wait for Yahoo to release something that will allow you to sync the native contacts and calendar with your BlackBerry. They seem to be headed in that direction and if so it would be a viable alternative to BES hosting. They already have the push email setup so hopefully we will see something like that soon....

test54
06-27-2007, 03:29 PM
entropy, i see the contacts and calendar settings, so are those only your yahoo contacts and calendar right? so you are saying they should allow you to sync them with the blackberry address book and calendar? thats cool and i could use that but for now i have different contact (yahoo ones are from college) but they are definately moving in the right direction, I can see google following suit but adding spreadseets and docs.

Entropy666
06-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Test54,
You are correct the only contacts and calendar you see are your Yahoo ones. They are kept separate from your BlackBerry ones. They really would have a good thing going if they let you sync them with your BlackBerry contacts and calendar. I really hope they implement that functionality. Have you heard anything about google maybe offering spreadsheets and docs for the Blackberry?

test54
06-27-2007, 05:03 PM
i have not heard anything but thats what i would like to see.

danothemano
06-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Really glad to see you discussing this topic. This has been driving me insane. Check out this quote from the readme text doc that came with my BB Curve.

"Yahoo(R) organizer data synchronization: You can now synchronize calendar entries, contacts, tasks, and notes between a Yahoo! account and your device. Before you attempt to synchronize between a Yahoo! account and your device, verify that the computer that is running the BlackBerry Desktop Software is connected to the internet."

what on earth are they talking about? I would be psyched if this actually worked, but I can't find any documentation about this anywhere.

Entropy666
06-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah I know I also caught that when read the readme. Maybe they are working on it and forgot to remove it from the manual when they released the device. It seems the next logical step for both Yahoo and Gmail since they already provide true push...

test54
06-28-2007, 09:52 AM
not to get into the rumor section but does anyone think that RIM might be adjusting their BIS timing as a result of the true push from gmail and yahoo? What i mean is that I get my yahoo and gmail very quick now and it seems my other accounts still take the 15 min.

I could be wrong though, but it seems they come in more frequently.

EricO
06-28-2007, 04:34 PM
i think its gmail, google search, google news, google maps. I think thats what they currently offer for apps on the BB.

don't forget GoogleTalk for the BlackBerry, without the Talk...., so only instant messaging..... :smile:

motogq
06-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Definitely a cool app. I love all the push content it has such as weather, news, email, flickr, etc... It was a nice surprise with GPS support. It seemed like the maps loaded a lot faster than Google maps. I even had it down to street level zoom while I was tarveling on the Interstate at about 70 mph & it was loading just as fast as the map was moving. Love the UI as well!!

joespys
06-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Yes incredibly cool app - enjoying it very much.. SCREW iPHONE!! hahahahaha

subjective
07-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi all.

I guess this is a perfect place to introduce myself. My name is Linda... I work for Yahoo! and support Y! GO and Y! Mobile in general.

The Y! Go engineering & design team is definately open to any feedback and suggestion that you might have on Y! Go and its functionality. I will pass on your comments!

EvEr_34: as long as you are keeping Y! GO open on your BB it will check and sync things. If you do not want this to happen (limited data plan?) just close Yahoo! Go.

MsJosay: I don't think that bluetooth puck GPS is supported but I'll ask.

danothemano: I have no idea whan the Curve documentation is talking about either. Y! GO pushes it's sync and you dont need to be connected to do a sync.

:enter:

rockinsage
07-07-2007, 11:09 PM
I think it's great that somone from Yahoo! is reading feedback on Go and posting here.

I've been keeping up on Go feedback from 8800 users, waiting for the day when I'll be able to use it on my 8830. Linda do you know when it may be available for us 8830 users?

Thanks!

redrocker
07-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Yahoo Go....is it free?

test54
07-08-2007, 02:43 PM
yes its free and very good.

mrgm
07-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Hi all.

I guess this is a perfect place to introduce myself. My name is Linda... I work for Yahoo! and support Y! GO and Y! Mobile in general.

The Y! Go engineering & design team is definately open to any feedback and suggestion that you might have on Y! Go and its functionality. I will pass on your comments!

EvEr_34: as long as you are keeping Y! GO open on your BB it will check and sync things. If you do not want this to happen (limited data plan?) just close Yahoo! Go.

danothemano: I have no idea whan the Curve documentation is talking about either. Y! GO pushes it's sync and you dont need to be connected to do a sync.

Glad to see Yahoo is taking intrest. Ive been a yahoo use for more than 10yrs now. Love it. It has only goten better.

now if only you had a jivetalk esk type messanger download, then you would really be in buisness..

also making yahoo maps compatible with the blackberry as it is online, at least view arials and such, would be wonderfull.

you all keep up the good work (down with google)

chrisb3
07-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Glad to see Yahoo is taking intrest. Ive been a yahoo use for more than 10yrs now. Love it. It has only goten better.

now if only you had a jivetalk esk type messanger download, then you would really be in buisness..

also making yahoo maps compatible with the blackberry as it is online, at least view arials and such, would be wonderfull.

you all keep up the good work (down with google)

The map widget has both satellite and hybrid views.

bostonnerd
07-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Any way of changing font sizes? My > 40 eyes are having a real hard time :)

s__dime
07-10-2007, 12:41 PM
When is the 8830 version going to be released?...I cant stand the slow gps updating on google its riciculous and I need more detail that bb maps has.

subjective
07-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Yahoo Go....is it free?

Yup! :smile:

gibber9583
07-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Yes Yahoo, when will this be released on the 8830. Tell me, and tell me now.

spicysquid
07-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Yes Yahoo, when will this be released on the 8830. Tell me, and tell me now.

Please release the 8830 version of yahoo go! I miss my stock quotes! You should be able to use the build from the 8800!

:bb:

mrgm
07-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Please release the 8830 version of yahoo go! I miss my stock quotes! You should be able to use the build from the 8800!

:bb:

speaking of... how do I view "My Portfolio"

dopestar
07-10-2007, 08:24 PM
i love yahoogo!!!! it is much beetter then yahoo search.... as for the messenger I am using YAk-ON as a messenger i noticed that JiveTalk is a battery drainer.... I am saying this with experience i used it for 3weeks and noticed a change.. I then decided to uninstall it and use yak-on big difference n battery

schmidt2k8
07-12-2007, 06:40 PM
I like it also. I tend to use gmail more, but I may start to switch over becuase of this new app. However, I am getting an error message when I scroll over to flickr and want to see my photos. I would tell you the error, but now it started working...go figure.

Triforce66
07-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Any updates/rumors on 8830 release date?

robchow
07-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Hi all.

So far the product is working well.

My suggestion is to have the ability to install the modules you need. For example, I don't need or care for flickr or finance. This will (I hope) save memory space on the device.

Bozo2007
07-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Any word for the BB 8830 yet.

RobM
07-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Is it just me or is anyone else not seeing the background updates occuring. It seems that when I go into the app (and yes, I leave it running in the background) does not update until I go to the widget or whatever they call it so not seeing it update.

let me know

rob

test54
07-25-2007, 10:01 AM
yeah it only updates when you go to each section. no problem for me but maybe theirs a setting for that i'm not sure.

JG in SB
07-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Did you notice the GPS support for the 8800? Haven't experimented with it much, but I didn't expect to see it.

Yup. GPS support seems to be present on my 8800 w/ Yahoo! Go. Always shows me right wwhere I am, and it is WAY faster than Google Maps. And it is not fee-for-service either like the app that Cingular/AT&T Tries to make you use. This free service was a nice surprise, as well as any number of the other well-implemented features of Yahoo! Go. I also like the way it adapts non-mobile web pages for mobile viewing. I don't think I have used the regular browser even once since I installed Yahoo! Go.

btaylor1
07-26-2007, 07:46 AM
i downloaded y! go to my cingular 8800 this past weekend. i really like its gps updates. much faster than (and doesn't stall like) google local. the other widgets are kind of neat but i have no interest in them. i want my y! icon to open/launch directly into maps but i have not found a way to make that happen. i'd welcome an upgrade or setting that lets me click my handheld's y! icon and open/launch directly every time into maps

(and thanks to the yahoo! person monitoring feedback and reporting back!)

s__dime
07-26-2007, 09:43 AM
God damn it I want this app for my 8830. YAHOO RELEASE THIS!

Maverickster
07-26-2007, 11:20 AM
This is a very well done App. It has all but replaced Berry411, Google Maps, and the Google Search App in one, nice package. The GPS integration is nice, but it'll take turn-by-turn directions for me to drop TeleNav. If it could do that, the only "apps" I would really need are RepliGo, Y! Go, and, of course, Brickbreaker.

I was also playing around with it and was thinking about a PBS special I saw some years ago about the ubiquitous "Web 2.0". It got my wife and I to talking, and I recall her saying, "you know, it's not going to be long before you can be walking the street in an unfamiliar city, look down at your phone, and get the name, summary, and reviews of the restaurants your standing in front of." I remember thinking that when THAT happened, "Web 2.0" (whatever that actually means) would be officially "here", in my book.

Well, Y! Go has the capability of doing that. All it needs to do is modify the oneSearch function to search businesses around the device's GPS location and wham-o -- Web 2.0. That would be a great feature. Even if you don't go that far and just permit us to select our "Current GPS Location" as a location for oneSearch, you're 1/2 way there.

Anyway, all in all, nicely done.

--Mav

tgeekb
07-26-2007, 01:13 PM
I am starting to warm up to it. I like the features wrapped into one but it is a bit slow for me. If I need a quick search which also has GPS functions nothing beats Beyond411.

Triforce66
07-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi all.

Linda by any chance would you be able to give us a time frame on the 8830 release date?

cwonsey
07-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm curious, and since Linda is responding in this forum, I'll post my curiousity here. With Yahoo and Google and the other map programs being compatibly with GPS devices in the phones and displaying moving maps, I can't imagine that audible turn-by-turn directions would be that much more difficult to implement. What is it that holds these free services back from providing that functionality?

Entropy666
07-27-2007, 02:16 PM
My guess would be the bandwidth and latency would be the big ones. I am really waiting for one of these GPS program providers to offer MicroSD storage for the maps and audio. This really should be the next step.

lawdogg
07-27-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm curious, and since Linda is responding in this forum, I'll post my curiousity here. With Yahoo and Google and the other map programs being compatibly with GPS devices in the phones and displaying moving maps, I can't imagine that audible turn-by-turn directions would be that much more difficult to implement. What is it that holds these free services back from providing that functionality?

Linda's posted a total of 4 times (maybe 5) on these forums and the last time was on 7/10. Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

ISMPlus
07-28-2007, 10:15 PM

...and Google Talk (web-based IM), and I think Google Talk Gadget as well, which is the IM client... very cool!

John Clark
07-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Can't believe there's still no BT puck support for this. C'mon Yahoo!!!!!!

aiharkness
07-29-2007, 05:59 AM
Can't believe there's still no BT puck support for this. C'mon Yahoo!!!!!!

Yep. My feelings exactly. I like the quality of the yahoo maps. Reports are the performance with GPS is great. The local search capability seems equivalent to google maps. Give me BT GPS and I'll pitch google maps.

rockinsage
07-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Just did my daily check from the bb browser and YahooGo is finally available for the 8830 (Verizon in my case). Downloaded and ran, so far so good.

dottedlinegirl
09-01-2007, 05:34 AM
Something I just discovered re: Y!Go's Maps application:

One of the three (pretty minor) complaints I've had with this app was my inability to copy and paste an address-- e.g., if someone texted or e-mailed me an address, I couldn't copy that address, load up Y!Maps, and paste it into either the location field for "Find location" or "Driving directions". Or, rather, if I pressed the menu button while in the location field, there was no "Paste" option in that menu.

Realized tonight that you *can*, however, click on the "Insert special character" option, and from *that* screen, do Menu>>Paste.

Passing this along in case anyone else has encountered the same frustration! :)

veks
09-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Y!Go's maps yesterday saved me some time in traffic. being able to see red spots on maps was great. made it with 1/2 hour to spare. i reccomend this app to everyone

btaylor1
09-22-2007, 03:56 PM
huh, i just got the new att branded 8820 yesterday to replace my 8800. (am still struggling to get wi-fi associated with my home access point, but hopefully my firm's tech's will help me sort out this coming week.) i had google maps and yahoo! go on the old 8800 and liked google maps somewhat better (because i perceived gps tracking worked better with yahoo! go). i managed to get google maps downloaded to new 8820, but nothing i have tried allows me to get to a download page for downloading yahoo! go to the new 8820. any ideas appreciated. att wouldn't have done something to 8820 to make yahoo! go not compatible with 8820 as yahoo! go was with 8800, would att have? thx

eTHE2
09-22-2007, 04:01 PM
I have a non ATT 8820 model and Yahoo GO! is not compatible with the 8820 browser. I have tried the WiFI, Blackberry and WAP browser..non of which are compatible with Yahoo GO! I expect there is a slight variation in the browser config between the 8800 and the 8820 (ala 8800 and 8830 variations) that RIM has inserted. It will simply be a matter of time before Yahoo gets the 8820 supported. In this case, I do not think ATT is the 'culprit'.

Rciobanu
10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
I tried to download it on 8800 ATT, but the mesage comes that "your phone currently doesn't support Yahoo! Go 2.0". any suggestions?

just talked to ATT, they say that in order to activate he GPS device I need to subscribe to Telenav. Is this true? I cannot use any GPS features that came with this expensive phone without paying more to ATT?

thank you

Radu

Triforce66
10-17-2007, 12:40 PM
I tried to download it on 8800 ATT, but the mesage comes that "your phone currently doesn't support Yahoo! Go 2.0". any suggestions?

just talked to ATT, they say that in order to activate he GPS device I need to subscribe to Telenav. Is this true? I cannot use any GPS features that came with this expensive phone without paying more to ATT?

thank you

Radu

Question #1: That is really weird.. the 8800 version came out before my 8830 version a while ago (correct 8800 users?)..

Question #2: You should post this in the GPS sub-forum since this does not seem to be linked to YahooGo..

Rciobanu
10-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Thank you, Triforce66. I figured the problem with Yahoo Go. I was using OperaMini to download it, didnt work. Once I used BBbrowser it went throught.