PDA

View Full Version : how to remove (delete) an app?

tvaldez
05-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Before you think this is obvious, read on...

I installed MidpSSH through the WAP interface. It didn't work due to my unix server requiring SSH2 and there was a bug in midpssh that prevented it from gracefully jumping from SSH1 to SSH2. That bug, as of today, has been fixed in the new version (1.4.2)

I installed over the top of the app without removing it first. Now, I have TWO icons on my BB desktop. Only one of them is listed in Config/Applications!?! I already ran the desktop Application Loader and told it to remove MidpSSH but leave everything else. After a long time, etc, it came back...but the icon is still there! And when I click on it, the app runs!!

I called Blackberry support. The level 1 tech was clueless (go figure). I got through to level 2 support. They did not have a solution for me either.

So, I entered the wrong password ten times, and had it "erase all data". Well, those stupid icons are STILL there...HELP!!

Does _anyone_ have a clue how I can get into the guts of this thing (sure wish it had a Registry to edit!) and delete these icons/applications? When I install MidpSSH again, it just puts another icon on the desktop, leaving the original there. I sure don't want to send it back to RIM/Nextel and have them do a complete wipe for me, but perhaps that is the only way....?

bfrye
05-12-2005, 12:13 PM
options->applications on the device. highlight the one you want to remove and delete it.

Try viewing the modules and deleting the individual modules for midpssh as well.

corey@12mile
05-12-2005, 12:30 PM
I think if you reload the handheld OS, without doing a backup first you should be able to get rid of it. Being that you erased all the data, which is just that, data, not apps. You most likely shouldn't need a backup.

cd.

tvaldez
05-12-2005, 03:08 PM
As I said in my original message, only ONE of the TWO MidpSSH apps were listed in Options/Applications and when I deleted that one, the other still stayed on the desktop. I just tried reloading the ver 4.0 O/S and it still kept that stupid app installed! GRRRRR. At this point I simply want to delete EVERYTHING and start over...is there a way to do that? I think I'll try to install an earlier version of O/S and see if that works...

Let this be a lesson to you all: make sure you delete an app BEFORE reinstalling it!!!

bfrye
05-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Check in the modules under applications... you might see it under there.

Also, in the newbie and faq stickies there is a howto on reinstalling/downgrading your OS written by myself. Check it for answers.

tvaldez
05-12-2005, 03:20 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I didn't follow you the first time you said "modules" until I searched a bit deeper. Wow, there are a TON of "modules" associated with some of those apps....but sure enough, there they both were, with a funky name...I deleted them and now they are gone gone gone! :) So, there _is_ a way to delete even hidden or stubborn apps. Good to know this.