PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a silly question..please don't laugh!

pinkprincess1uk
05-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi, I will introduce myself here first. I'm a complete novice at Blackberry's unfortunately. I got my first one yesterday and I'm not having much luck. I've had a look around on this forum and on the user guide but can't seem to find the answers to my questions?
Ok, so I don't know what you need to know but I've got a 7290 on the O2 network (UK).
When i enter my pin and get into the menu options there is no browser button, and at the top it says data connection refused. Is there a reason it would do this? :cry:

SAS
05-12-2005, 12:32 PM
2 reasons 1) O2's relay to the rim server is down (very unlikely) 2) The profile on your account is incorrect (more likely) call o2 and get them to check the profile.

corey@12mile
05-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Sounds like your data activation on the SIM card hasn't completed yet... Maybe give O2 a call and make sure you have a Blackberry Data Plan on your SIM card.

cd.

corey@12mile
05-12-2005, 12:33 PM
SAS... Data connection refused means that the GPRS authentication has failed, which is long before a connection to the relay is needed.

cd.

pinkprincess1uk
05-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks, I will try O2 again but its such a hassle because they know nothing and I can't speak to data support because you can only get them on a landline! The sim card should be ok because I rang up yesterday and got it activated, it registers O2 and I can make phone calls..

corey@12mile
05-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Then you most likely don't have the data plan on your sim card, something you have to call them for and confirm...

cd.

pinkprincess1uk
05-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Well i just rang, and I don't think she had a clue what she's talking about- thet've given me another number for blackberry queries, so i will try this...

pinkprincess1uk
05-12-2005, 12:44 PM
well that number doesn't work...great!

nobbie
05-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Have you tried syncing up with your computer and fiddling with settings through Redirector and such? Mine didn't work until I did that. But then, I had to activate the BES connection.

pinkprincess1uk
05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Have you tried syncing up with your computer and fiddling with settings through Redirector and such? Mine didn't work until I did that. But then, I had to activate the BES connection.
That is like a foreign language to me! :smile:

pinkprincess1uk
05-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Well O2 were no help, so I've emailed data support. Nothing more I can do I guess. My poor little Blackberry! I want to use it! :(

JDWallace
05-12-2005, 01:40 PM
This might sound dumb but have you powered it down and pulled the battery out for a few minutes then put it back and power it up. I have learned that this cures a lot of problems with my 7520. But that is just my opinion, I am not the BB master. Corey does sound right about the data plan might not have been activated, I have heard of that before from other people who had the same problem as you.

pinkprincess1uk
05-12-2005, 02:03 PM
This might sound dumb but have you powered it down and pulled the battery out for a few minutes then put it back and power it up. I have learned that this cures a lot of problems with my 7520. But that is just my opinion, I am not the BB master. Corey does sound right about the data plan might not have been activated, I have heard of that before from other people who had the same problem as you.

I'll try it and let you know! :smile:

jdover
05-13-2005, 08:04 PM
0845 601 2860 is the BB support no. for O2 that I use. I had a huge problem with synching and I found them extremely helpful. I dealt with Chris Christou who was great and always called back when he said he would.

SAS
05-14-2005, 01:34 AM
SAS... Data connection refused means that the GPRS authentication has failed, which is long before a connection to the relay is needed.

cd.

Corey, Data Connection Refused is something I see alot, and 90% of the time its because the persons profile is corrupt, they can usually see gprs network but cant logon, the other 10% is because of a problem at rim's end with the autntication servers. To get onto GPRS the relay must be up and running as part of the signon process involves authentication with RIM's server in Egim (sp?) Thats the way the Blackberry Architecture works.

pinkprincess1uk
05-14-2005, 03:34 AM
What you have said is exactly what is on my phone. O2 are no help, yesterday I got an email saying they'd activated my GPRS but my phone is no different yet.

SAS
05-14-2005, 03:56 AM
yeah see what they have done IMO is activated GPRS but not activated blackberry on the account, this is why you are getting this error. Just out of curiosity have you rebooted the device (back off and battery out) since getting the email? if not give that a go just incase.

pinkprincess1uk
05-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Well I just tried that again and nothing changed unfortunately. I think I will drop them another email! This is so annoying! So i need to tell them to check that Blackberry is activated on my account?

SAS
05-14-2005, 04:59 AM
yeah thats all i can think of that could be causing it, hope you get it working.

corey@12mile
05-14-2005, 10:17 PM
SAS... a gprs connection has absolutely nothing to do with the RIM Relay...

cd.