PDA

View Full Version : 3G, UMTS or HSPDA?

B747FR8DAWG
06-24-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm new to Blackberry products (8100 Pearl / T-Mobile) , but wanted to know if there is a Blackberry device that supports 3G, UMTS, HSPDA?

I used the search function for 3G and came up with nothing!

dc/dc
06-24-2007, 07:41 PM
The following devices are 3G:
7130e (CDMA 1xEVDO)
8703e (CDMA 1xEVDO)
8830 (CDMA 1xEVDO)
8707 (UMTS2100)

At this time, there are no HSDPA devices, and there are no UMTS devices that function in North or South America. Additionally, T-Mobile does not yet offer UMTS/HSDPA, and when they do it will be on totally different frequencies from the rest of the world.

Basically, if you want 3G speeds on your BlackBerry in the United States, you will need to switch to a CDMA provider.

Hope this helps.

B747FR8DAWG
06-25-2007, 05:05 AM
dc/dc,

Thanks for the information!

joginder
06-25-2007, 11:49 PM
dc/dc
I thought Dept of Defence just released the 2100 CDMA band and that will be 3G in US and it will be supported by almost all the providers. I thought this will be the same UMTS/3G band that will have automatic switching.
If you heard about the FMC (Fixed Mode Cellphones) they are trying to have every possible freq/bandwidth on device so that it can be sold independent of providers and people can own a device without worrying about the country/bandwidth.

Dubdub
06-26-2007, 07:41 AM
If its CDMA, my guess is that only Verizon and Sprint can use it. But I have not heard anything about it.

DoD doesn't control the frequency bands, BTW.

dc/dc
06-26-2007, 07:43 AM
dc/dc
I thought Dept of Defence just released the 2100 CDMA band and that will be 3G in US and it will be supported by almost all the providers. I thought this will be the same UMTS/3G band that will have automatic switching.
If you heard about the FMC (Fixed Mode Cellphones) they are trying to have every possible freq/bandwidth on device so that it can be sold independent of providers and people can own a device without worrying about the country/bandwidth.

They did release 2100 MHz spectrum, but it is not specific to WCDMA/UMTS/HSDPA, and it is also not the same section of 2100 that is used in the rest of world. Additionally, UMTS requires both an uplink and downlink band. In the rest of the world, UMTS uses 1900 MHz for the uplink, and in the US, it will be using 1700 MHz.

Normally I don't advocate Wikipedia as a source of information, but this one is good:
Universal Mobile Telecommunications System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umts#North_America)

takeshi
06-26-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm new to Blackberry products (8100 Pearl / T-Mobile) , but wanted to know if there is a Blackberry device that supports 3G, UMTS, HSPDA?

I used the search function for 3G and came up with nothing!
Nope. All current models are listed at Blackberry.com with their features.

joginder
06-26-2007, 09:39 AM
I read that DoD was holding this freq for their own commn. but now they have released it and it is not like the regular CDMA.. it is called WCDMA so it does have UMTS mode but like dc/dc said in US the data travels on two different bands and that sucks why we will do so differently.
it is just like Verizon was trying to setup a CDMA network in Irag (Contract) while that whole region is on GSM/GPRS tech.

dc/dc
06-26-2007, 01:17 PM
I read that DoD was holding this freq for their own commn. but now they have released it and it is not like the regular CDMA.. it is called WCDMA so it does have UMTS mode but like dc/dc said in US the data travels on two different bands and that sucks why we will do so differently.
it is just like Verizon was trying to setup a CDMA network in Irag (Contract) while that whole region is on GSM/GPRS tech.

Please don't confuse the OP. :)