PDA

View Full Version : Change server type from IMAP to POP3

Dubdub
06-25-2007, 10:03 AM
I have a friend with a Sprint 8700 and he cannot receive email. We have narrowed it down to the server type. When he sets up his email in BIS, it automatically says it is an IMAP account, when in reality it is POP3, but there is no way to change it. Sprint Tech Support is no help.

He used the Enterprise Activation on the 8700. Could that be an issue? i have never used that way to set up a BB, so I have no background there.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation and have you found a solution.

My next guess is to elevate to RIM.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks

penguin3107
06-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I haven't tried this myself, but I heard it might work...

When you're setting up the email address in BIS, put in an incorrect password deliberately.
This will cause the setup to fail, and pop you into an 'advanced setup' where you might be able to select POP over IMAP.

Worth a shot.

Dubdub
06-25-2007, 10:21 AM
I haven't tried this myself, but I heard it might work...

When you're setting up the email address in BIS, put in an incorrect password deliberately.
This will cause the setup to fail, and pop you into an 'advanced setup' where you might be able to select POP over IMAP.

Worth a shot.

We tried that, but it wouldn't let us select the server type.

Thanks.

takeshi
06-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Did you actually get into advanced setup? You can also just leave out the password entirely.

Hmm, actually it looks like advanced setup changed for BIS 2.3 or something... IIRC you used to have more control over settings. Now it looks like even with advanced setup it tries to autodetect the account type.

Dubdub
06-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Did you actually get into advanced setup? You can also just leave out the password entirely.

Hmm, actually it looks like advanced setup changed for BIS 2.3 or something... IIRC you used to have more control over settings. Now it looks like even with advanced setup it tries to autodetect the account type.

Seems that BIS 2.3 could be the culprit, however, after we did the wrong password trick, he started getting email. Still says IMAP though. I even tried to set his email address on my ATT BIS and got the same result - automatically selected IMAP.

We will see how it goes for a while before we go to RIM for an answer. The account is definitely POP3.

If all else fails, can we enter the IP address instead of the incoming server?

JGBerry
06-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Seems that BIS 2.3 could be the culprit, however, after we did the wrong password trick, he started getting email. Still says IMAP though. I even tried to set his email address on my ATT BIS and got the same result - automatically selected IMAP.

We will see how it goes for a while before we go to RIM for an answer. The account is definitely POP3.

If all else fails, can we enter the IP address instead of the incoming server?

sometimes emails accounts are finicky, and they want a username and password. the reason being... sometimes the username IS your entire email address. in other words, the user name standards on email accounts are different.

gmail --> your username is your actual user name
other accounts --> username can be your ENTIRE email address

having BIS automatically set this up, could potentially lead them to accidentally choose the wrong method for accessing your account.

i hope this makes sense

Dubdub
06-25-2007, 01:27 PM
It does. I have been using the BB for awhile, just not the Sprint variety. Couldn't figure out why BIS wouldn't let us pick POP or IMAP.

But in any case his BB email seems to be working.

Dubdub
06-25-2007, 01:28 PM
sometimes emails accounts are finicky, and they want a username and password. the reason being... sometimes the username IS your entire email address. in other words, the user name standards on email accounts are different.

gmail --> your username is your actual user name
other accounts --> username can be your ENTIRE email address

having BIS automatically set this up, could potentially lead them to accidentally choose the wrong method for accessing your account.

i hope this makes sense

As we used to say in the flying business:

AOG maintenance - Act of God
PFM - Pure F*****g Magic

JGBerry
06-25-2007, 01:32 PM
As we used to say in the flying business:

AOG maintenance - Act of God
PFM - Pure F*****g Magic

haha, i like your sense of humor.
glad your friend got it to work

Elbie
10-19-2007, 11:55 AM
So how do I get this to Pop3. I think this IMAP thing could be the reason why I keep having issues with this.