PDA

View Full Version : Newb Question on Bluetooth & GPS

MichaelBB
06-27-2007, 09:37 AM
If this is in the wrong place I apologize.

My question is the following , I am tossing back and forth the idea of either the 8830 from VZW or the Curve from AT&T.

I know they disable some of the bluetooth and gps. is it possible ? or are there already fixes to re-enable these to full functionality? especially the bluetooth.

Thanks in advance

JSanders
06-27-2007, 09:41 AM
On the 8830, the built-in gps in disabled. However, on it, and on the 8300, you can use a BT puck for gps.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-mapping/

MichaelBB
06-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Thank you JSanders for the reply.

Is it safe to say that these features cannot be re-enabled and you have to go with a 3rd party application or piece of hardware? Also Bluetooth functionality any input on that ?

Any recommendations as to AT&T or Verizon ?

penguin3107
06-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Is it safe to say that these features cannot be re-enabled and you have to go with a 3rd party application or piece of hardware? Also Bluetooth functionality any input on that ?

Bluetooth is not disabled on either device. It's not something that would need to be "re-enabled".

GPS is disabled on the 8830. There's currently nothing that can "re-enable" it.

The 8300 doesn't have built-in GPS, so there's nothing to "re-enable" on it.

Both devices currently require you to use a third-party Bluetooth GPS receiver and third-party (or BBMaps) GPS software for navigation functionality.

MichaelBB
06-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Bluetooth is not disabled on either device. It's not something that would need to be "re-enabled".

GPS is disabled on the 8830. There's currently nothing that can "re-enable" it.

The 8300 doesn't have built-in GPS, so there's nothing to "re-enable" on it.

Both devices currently require you to use a third-party Bluetooth GPS receiver and third-party (or BBMaps) GPS software for navigation functionality.

Maybe I misunderstood the sales rep at the local Verizon store thats where I got the information about the Blue tooth being disabled or maybe he meant to say limited in functionality. I am just going by what I was told.

Thank you for the reply