PDA

View Full Version : Bell 8830 GPS working fine, WML? and roaming?

nbontis
06-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I picked mine up yesterday at Bell World in Ancaster and it is working fine.

BlackBerry Maps syncs with the GPS and it actually navigates as I drive. It even tells me how fast I am driving!

The only issues I still have left are these two:

1) The Windows Live Messenger does not want to work. It says "handheld does not have the required service books".

2) I found out that international data roaming charges for Bell are $0.05 per kb. I average about 20 MB per month of data usage. I am taking off for Europe for 2 months this summer. This means I will get hit with a $2,000 international data roaming bill. That's crazy!

If anyone can help me solve the two problems above, I will be a happy guy!

Cheers, Nick

P.S. Happy Canada Day on July 1!

dc/dc
06-28-2007, 12:29 PM
I picked mine up yesterday at Bell World in Ancaster and it is working fine.

BlackBerry Maps syncs with the GPS and it actually navigates as I drive. It even tells me how fast I am driving!

The only issues I still have left are these two:

1) The Windows Live Messenger does not want to work. It says "handheld does not have the required service books".

2) I found out that international data roaming charges for Bell are $0.05 per kb. I average about 20 MB per month of data usage. I am taking off for Europe for 2 months this summer. This means I will get hit with a $2,000 international data roaming bill. That's crazy!

If anyone can help me solve the two problems above, I will be a happy guy!

Cheers, Nick

P.S. Happy Canada Day on July 1!

Does Bell offer an int'l data package like the US GSM carriers do?

nbontis
06-28-2007, 01:03 PM
There is no international data roaming package for Bell BlackBerry. That's my problem!!! It is just $0.05 / kb straight ... no bundle.

Does anyone know if there exist any pay-as-you-go SIM cards for BlackBerry data in Greece?

Cheers, Nick

farisk
06-28-2007, 01:31 PM
No, we are in Canada and get raped like a little girl alone in a park by our cell phone companies. But we cant complain about Bell's service and quality cause it really is beyond our expectations. Still hoping for US companies to cross the borders and put all these unnecessary extra charges to rest.

Does Bell offer an int'l data package like the US GSM carriers do?

BellBoy
06-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I am having the same issue with WML on the Bell service. Any help would be great

nbontis
06-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Called Bell Technical Service ... they sent some file to my unit. Now the WML works fine!!!

Cheers, Nick

BellBoy
06-29-2007, 11:34 AM
That worked. Thanks for the tip (y)

jefwic
07-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Are you saying that the GPS on the Bell 8830 works fine then without subscribing to Bell's GPSNav?

Do let me know if you find out more about international data roaming, $50 / MB is way too much for normal use.

mathewr
07-03-2007, 02:43 PM
The GPS works great out of the box (go to Maps and use the menu to turn on Navigation) but you need to subscribe to the TeleNav service with Bell Mobility to get the GPS Nav turn-by-turn directions capability.

I'm having a heck of a time with the WLM. I keep getting "Handheld does not have the required service books." I've been on the phone with Bell support 3 times and now it is escalated to 2nd level support who has yet to get back to me. They have reset everything and resent everything multiple times. At first they thought it was because I was on an a BES at work but that doesn't seem to be it. Two other 7250 bb's here at work are working fine with WLM. The only difference is that the Service Book I get is "Windows Live Messenger VPL" while the other bb's have three separate Messenger Service Books from Bell. This doesn't seem to bother anybody at Bell support but it seems that the Service Books should be the same. Does anybody have any specifics on a solution to this one?

FroogleThis
07-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Glad to hear this. I am on Sprint, and just shelled out full retail for the 8830. TeleNav has saved my rear on multiple occasions, and it would be a severe disappointment if it didn't perform on the 8830.

jefwic
07-03-2007, 03:07 PM
I would completely remove all the WLM service books from the device and then have them resend it. See what the name of the service books sent are and compare it to the other device.

I'm with you that the service book names should match on different devices. You could also try an OS reload, but that might be a bit extreme.

mathewr
07-09-2007, 09:52 AM
My WLM is now working. It was escalated to Bell Level 2 support after repeated sends of the Service Books and repeated re-installs with Bell on the line. The Service Books I was receiving from Bell contained a WLM Service Book but it was not correct. Level 2 never did call me about the ticket but two days later I received the three correct Service Books and all is fine. I was pretty surprised that no one at Bell could confirm what were the *correct* Service Books. Based on comparison of Service Books on my BBerry and what was on working other people's BBerrys it was obvious that I didn't have the right Service Books. Bell kept pushing the wrong one to me and no one I was talking with seemed interested in the difference - I got the "that's the Service Book we have so it should work" response. Obviously it wasn't right and eventually the right ones showed up. All's well that ends well I guess...

jefwic
07-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Good to hear you got that sorted out. For future reference, what are the correct service books named?

mathewr
07-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Level 2 support at Bell just contacted me yesterday to close my ticket now that the correct service books were sent. They are Windows Live [KEYNEGO], Windows Live [BBIM], and Windows Live [BBIConfig].

The one that first line support kept sending out was Windows Live Messenger VPL [BrowserConfig].

So far so good.

mathewr
07-12-2007, 10:54 AM
BTW, if anyone has a problem don't let them get you caught up in the BlackBerry Enterprise Service death spiral. I spoke repeatedly to Bell about WLM not working and every single person starting out telling me it was my BES administrator that needed to get me the correct service books because the BES server had to be setup for WLM. Every time I contacted Bell the first thing they did was push it back at our IT department and the BES server. The BES server had nothing to do with the service not working or with the final resolution from Level 2 support at Bell. It was frustrating going through the same BES conversation with each Bell rep.

nordex
07-12-2007, 07:59 PM
how much data does msn use?

How much is the nav package a month?

Skinsnapper
07-12-2007, 11:07 PM
How do you get these service book ? :

Windows Live [KEYNEGO]
Windows Live [BBIM]
Windows Live [BBIConfig]

???? I need them :cry:

Skinsnapper
07-13-2007, 01:23 PM
I've called Bell Data Support and these northing they can do for me about MSN Live... That's crap !

mathewr
07-18-2007, 12:21 PM
To get the service books I needed to get Bell to escalate to Level 2 Support. The people answering the phones at Level 1 couldn't help me after repeated calls to them (and actually telling them what needed to be done!). Level 2 fixed it by sending me the service books without even talking to me and then they eventually called me to confirm the ticket could be closed. The guy I spoke with seemed to know exactly what he was talking about and knew how to fix the issue.