PDA

View Full Version : Hack to manually select network on ATT 8300

8300 guy
06-28-2007, 05:02 PM
The ATT SIM card prevents me (and I assume everyone else with ATT) from manually selecting a network on my new 8300. I previously had a Treo 650 (like the BB much better) and some technically oriented people on one of the Treo sites had developed a hack for the treo so that it would overide the sim card lock so that you could enable manual network selection on your treo. It worked perfectly.

Is anyone aware of any similar hacks for blackberrys, or some other way around ATT sim cards not allowing network manual selection?

Thanks.

Dawg
06-28-2007, 05:04 PM
the BB is not quite as hackable as other OS one of the reasons its so secure.

JGBerry
06-28-2007, 05:38 PM
The ATT SIM card prevents me (and I assume everyone else with ATT) from manually selecting a network on my new 8300. I previously had a Treo 650 (like the BB much better) and some technically oriented people on one of the Treo sites had developed a hack for the treo so that it would overide the sim card lock so that you could enable manual network selection on your treo. It worked perfectly.

Is anyone aware of any similar hacks for blackberrys, or some other way around ATT sim cards not allowing network manual selection?

Thanks.

why would you want manual selection with ATT? for T-Mobile it makes sense b/c they have roaming agreements with other carriers, but i am not aware of ATT having roaming agreements...

bradhs
06-28-2007, 06:41 PM
I would LOVE to have the ability to manually select networks. My old premerger Cingular account can. I can switch to T-Mobile's network where Cingular has no service. Cingular sold T-Mobile their network when they bought AT&T years back. So, in San Diego, T-Mobile has a great network. Cingular (now at&t) is still working on their network.

All my Cingular accounts CANT manually do this, unfortunately.

Bradley

d_fisher
06-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Can you not go to Options > Mobile Network and change from Automatic to Manual? I have been able to do this on previous devices, but dont have a 8300 to try it.

8300 guy
06-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Can you not go to Options > Mobile Network and change from Automatic to Manual? I have been able to do this on previous devices, but dont have a 8300 to try it.

The ATT SIM card prevents manual network selection. Though my phone is unlocked, and I can use other SIM cards in the phone, when the ATT SIM card is in the phone, manual selection is not an option.

The problem I'm trying to solve is that the closest ATT tower to my home provides 0-1 bars reception, making calls very difficult, but there is a Suncom (local GSM cell company) tower across the street where I have 4 bars reception.

I would like to manually select the Suncom network while at home (as I was able to do on my hacked Treo) and had forgotten that I'd had to hack my Treo to get access to other networks. Now I'm stuck with a phone that I have to go outside to use reliably (even after trying the foil on the back of the battery trick.)

Stinsonddog
06-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Never heard of such a hack on the BB. Up to the 8700 you could put the old ATT Blue sim. Had to change when I got my 8800.

takeshi
06-29-2007, 08:44 AM
As 8300 Guy says it's not the BB -- it's the SIM that restricts this.

AT&T Blue SIM was the only method I was aware of for manual network selection on a BB.