PDA

View Full Version : Ready to get a BB, but need a few things clarified

JiveMiguel
06-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Okay, I've read a lot on this site and blackberryfaq.com. I'd like to outline what features I need, explain my assumptions on how they work, and you let me know if I'm right on or have my wires crossed. Okay, here goes:

1. I'm thinking about getting a BB Curve. My carrier is Cingular, so I guess thats a BIS type of account, correct? Is a Curve a good device? I'm really hot on having a full keyboard.

2. I need to have incoming email from two accounts (one regular POP, the other is gmail) sent to my BB. As stated here: Methods of Receiving Email on BlackBerry - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Methods_of_Receiving_Email_on_BlackBerry) this can be done by entering the pertinent information about each account into the cingular.blackberry.net account. Then, any email coming to these two accounts will be forwarded to my BB.

3. I want to also be able to get this email on my computer when I return home. It seems that this should happen, as the system I outlined above merely forwards email to my BB, the original still would go to my account. Is this correct?

4. When sending an email from my BB, can I send it from one of my regular accounts, or will it look as if it comes from the cingular.blackberry.net account?

As you can see, having access to email on the road is the most important thing here. I don't really care about many of the other BB features at this time, but I'm sure I'll begin to use and love them!

Thanks in advance for your patience and for heading me in the right direction!

Dubdub
06-28-2007, 05:34 PM
1. I'm thinking about getting a BB Curve. My carrier is Cingular, so I guess thats a BIS type of account, correct? Is a Curve a good device? I'm really hot on having a full keyboard.

I can't say how good or bad it is, since I have not used that specific device, but from experience with a 7750, 8700 and my current 8800, I would say it is a good BB to have. It really depends upon your needs and perceptions.

2. I need to have incoming email from two accounts (one regular POP, the other is gmail) sent to my BB. As stated here: Methods of Receiving Email on BlackBerry - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Methods_of_Receiving_Email_on_BlackBerry) this can be done by entering the pertinent information about each account into the cingular.blackberry.net account. Then, any email coming to these two accounts will be forwarded to my BB.

That is correct. However, you need to make sure you need to have your email (on Outlook if that is what you use) is configured for "leave mail on server" so it can get pushed to your BB as well as your PC.

3. I want to also be able to get this email on my computer when I return home. It seems that this should happen, as the system I outlined above merely forwards email to my BB, the original still would go to my account. Is this correct?

That is correct. However, you need to make sure you need to have your email (on Outlook if that is what you use) is configured for "leave mail on server" so it can get pushed to your BB as well as your PC.

4. When sending an email from my BB, can I send it from one of my regular accounts, or will it look as if it comes from the cingular.blackberry.net account?

Yes

As you can see, having access to email on the road is the most important thing here. I don't really care about many of the other BB features at this time, but I'm sure I'll begin to use and love them!

This is the main reason I went to the BB.

Enjoy your new BB!

JSanders
06-28-2007, 05:34 PM
1. Curve, 8300, Cingular, BIS, yep. All good.
2. Exactly, confirmed. Then read this about your Gmail account:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/54675-how-prevent-g-mail-sent-items-being-sent-your-handheld.html
Personally, I would not "forward" my POP or Gmail to the blackberry.net address, I would set it up as intended on BIS in it own account, Pushed directly to the BB, not forwarded. That is personal preference.
3. It will be, yes.
4. You can send from your normal email address. You don't even have to get a blackberry.net address, at all.

Good research! Enjoy.

JGBerry
06-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Okay, I've read a lot on this site and blackberryfaq.com. I'd like to outline what features I need, explain my assumptions on how they work, and you let me know if I'm right on or have my wires crossed. Okay, here goes:

Thanks in advance for your patience and for heading me in the right direction!

once you go blackberry...you never go to anything else again.
bahst

jwerges
06-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Also know that if you have your gmail pushed to your bb, and delete it on your bb, it will also be deleted on your gmail account.

takeshi
06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Is a Curve a good device? I'm really hot on having a full keyboard.
If it fits your needs, yes.

1. I'm thinking about getting a BB Curve. My carrier is Cingular, so I guess thats a BIS type of account, correct?
Not necessarily but in your case you probably just want BIS. I just wanted to clarify as your post made it sound like you had to use BIS on Cingular.

As JSanders has said, it's recommended that you integrate the accounts with BIS directly rather than forward via the *.blackberry.net address.

If you not Dubdub's caveat you'll be fine. Again, don't forward your mail unless you have a real need to do so. BIS won't delete email from your account except with accounts like gmail as Jwerges pointed out.

If you forward your mail will come from your *.blackberry.net address. If you integrate the accounts directly with BIS then messages will appear to come from those accounts.

JiveMiguel
07-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Thank you so much to all of those that replied. I'm glad to hear that everything I will expect from my new BB will work! Now, I'm off the call Cingular and order my new Curve!