PDA

View Full Version : Contacts saved with job titles and address instead of phone numbers and emails

mjones56
06-29-2007, 05:35 AM
Hi, I'm trying to fix someone in the companies 8800.

Basicly all his contacts from Outlook 2003 have transferred to his phone with the wrong details. None of them have email addresses or phone numbers, instead they're all saved with the first lines of their address or their job titles in place of the email addresses and phone numbers. Anyone had simular issues? or anyone got an answer?

Cheers

JerryD
06-29-2007, 07:57 AM
I've never seen anything like that! Here's how I'd fix it.

If this is NOT a BES setup:
First, install Desktop Manager. Now, connect the BlackBerry and go to Backup/Restore. Hit the Advanced button, click on Address Book in the Left column (Device Database) and hit the Clear button. This will delete all the entries in the address book. Hit Close twice to return to Desktop Manager.

Now go the Synchronize applet and then to the Configuration tab and hit the Reset Configuration button. Then hit Configure Sync.. and set up the synchronization.

If this is a BES setup:
Your best bet is to wipe the device and reactivate. If you have Desktop Manager set up with a connection to the Mail Server, you can reactivate wired without an Enterprise Activation password, but you should reset the Sync configuration as described above before you reactivate. Just wipe the device, reset the configuration, then plug in the device and it will reactivate automatically without any other intervention (except entering a password if required).

If this setup has never used Desktop Manager and you're going to do a Wireless Enterprise Activation, you may want to delete and recreate the BES account before reactivating to prevent it from happening again.

bigmojo
06-29-2007, 08:13 AM
This may be a really stupid question....but why would you have Desktop Manager setup with a connection to the BES?

What advantages do you get doing that vs doing everything OTA?

I'm curious since we have 12 BBs and a BES and not a single person has DM installed. Just want to make sure we are not missing something.

Thanks

JerryD
06-29-2007, 08:26 AM
I agree that you don't need DM in a BES environment - in a perfect world!

For whatever reason - maybe because we're on BES 4.0 - our OTA Activations regularly fail, and when they don't they seem to come back with service book problems within a month. Wired EA is not only more reliable, but also faster and saves time in the long run.

Also, those that support the devices (like ME) have no access to the BES server and it can take HOURS for a BES Admin to generate an EA Password - which is only good once, so if it fails we have to wait again for the password to be reset.

We have about 5,500 BB's in our organization and in the region I support we have about 1/2 of those. We've just found this to be much more efficient. Also, we have a Help Desk that does first level support, and regular IT technicians who do second level support, and this is a more reliable way for them to handle BlackBerries - especially since they work from a location with lousy reception!

We JUST upgraded to BES 4.1 and we're SUPPOSED TO get limited access to the BES Servers - enough to set an EA Password anyway, so this practice may change.

Andi
06-29-2007, 09:37 AM
We use Desktop Manager in our BES environment to avoid synching Contact subfolders... Users have multiple contact subfolders in Outlook (Holiday card list for example) that they don't want on the blackberry. Using wireless sync sends all contact folders to BB, using wired sync only sends main contact folder.

d_fisher
06-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Also, those that support the devices (like ME) have no access to the BES server and it can take HOURS for a BES Admin to generate an EA Password - which is only good once, so if it fails we have to wait again for the password to be reset.I feel your pain. I support all 3000 of our BlackBerrys and have no access to BES.

mjones56
06-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi just to say thanks the first option worked well, nice to see it started a little discussion goin too. Thank you again JerryD :smile: