PDA

View Full Version : I love the iPhone!

pulrang
06-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Before I get lynched, I love my 8700 and I will never use anything but a BlackBerry. I haven't even touched the iPhone but you gotta love the iPhone for one reason alone - excellent competition. Up until now, the BB hasn't had any good competition as Palm and MS make garbage.
The iPhone will force RIM to roll up their sleeves and start fighting, improving and innovating. Most importantly, they will be improving faster than their previously glacial pace. Palm and MS could never force this type of competition but I think the iPhone can. This will only be good for the BlackBerry faithful because with good competition everyone gets better. Your thoughts?

penguin3107
06-29-2007, 08:22 AM
I think the iPhone isn't intended to compete with the BlackBerry at all.
It won't even touch RIM's corporate or enterprise users, which comprise the vast majority of their userbase.

The iPhone is an awesome device, and I can't really say a bad thing about it.
I just don't think you can fairly compare the BlackBerry to it. They're not in competition with eachother.
Two very different devices which serve very different purposes.

jaybird@
06-29-2007, 08:23 AM
You have a point.
Just sit back and wait till all the hoopla dies down to see what it can do and if it stumbles trying to do it.

test54
06-29-2007, 08:30 AM
even if they are not in competition (although i think they are) you still have to look at some of the tech that is on it and see that RIM will be looking step up their own software to get similar functionality.

RIM corporate and enterprise users are becoming less and less of the client base and I think those new users like their media and browsing.

takeshi
06-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Right -- the two devices are clearly not intended for the same market but that doesn't mean that RIM can't step up its more consumer-oriented features. RIM's definitely trying to attract the more consumer market with the features they have included on some of the newer models.

King-B
06-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Right -- the two devices are clearly not intended for the same market but that doesn't mean that RIM can't step up its more consumer-oriented features. RIM's definitely trying to attract the more consumer market with the features they have included on some of the newer models.

FINALLY....people who understand the nature of the iPhone!

JSanders
06-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Read the thread posted here earlier about all the Hollywood execs not being able to get one because the IT depts in their studio won't support the iPhone:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/handheld-forum/83530-iphone-gets-busy-signal.html

The article specifically supports the point that iPhone and BB are not in the same primary market.

I look forward to playing with one, but it will have to be someone else's $500 spent to purchase it!

mmcapone
06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Touch screen phones are the worst. I had a PPC-6700, now im sure that the iphone is going to be alot more advanced but it is touch screen never the less. Your screen will constantly be smudged, and its hard to dial while driving. Now dont get me wrong im sure the iphone will have some amazing features, programs, and whatever else, but give me a track wheel any day of the week.

test54
06-29-2007, 08:56 AM
um i think they got rid of the track wheel last time i check the new devices. innovation at its best.

since 2 of the best people are in this thread, what about if apple indeed licensed MS exchange server with Active sync? Takeshi and JSanders, does that make it better or worse? Im on BIS and know almost nothing about the BES / Server end of things.
Smart Phone Makers Brace for iPhone - Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/a-805301~Smart_Phone_Makers_Brace_for_iPhone.html) - Good quote from Basille.
RIM, Motorola Ready To Rumble With iPhone - Mobile Blog - InformationWeek (http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/05/rim_motorola_re.html)
The Utility Belt: New BlackBerry Curve shows RIM's ready for the iPhone (http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybelt/2007/05/new_blackberry_.html)
Business & Technology | Arriving Friday, the iPhone is already having an impact | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003761252_iphone25.html)

camaxtli
06-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mixcoatl-Camaxtli: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

even if they are not in competition (although i think they are) you still have to look at some of the tech that is on it and see that RIM will be looking step up their own software to get similar functionality.

RIM corporate and enterprise users are becoming less and less of the client base and I think those new users like their media and browsing.

Hi. May I ask where you are getting the info for "RIM corporate and enterprise users are becoming less and less of their client base"

teamcrn
06-29-2007, 09:02 AM
I think apple is trying to sneak attack RIM. They both are know for stable platforms all that is missing is the exchange server hook up. I think if it does happen this way apple will be an alternative like Rim was once an alternative to treo's etc.

JSanders
06-29-2007, 09:05 AM
I will be the first to tell you I know very little about BES (others will tell I know nothing!). But, that said, yes it would make it more attractive, but again, since I don't think that (corporate) is Apple's initial market for the iPhone, it really doesn't matter (for now).

Observing their marketing (where they advertise/segments on TV, etc.) indicates to me they are pushing it towards the professional 25-45 age group with extra $$s in the their pocket.

teamcrn
06-29-2007, 09:08 AM
That market you speak of will son be decesion makers. Apple has a way of planting seeds in the younger market and hoping it grows with the customer. I think they know to really be a hit they have to go corporate sooner or latter but dont want that to be there core business. They are taking the same exact opposite stance as rim. Rim has corporate as the base and the consumer market as the fringe market. Apple wants to thrive in the consumer market and maybe steal a little slice of corporate or professionals who has a mac at home. This is exactly how the positioned them self in the Steve Jobs Era part 2 against Microsoft and its working.

JSanders
06-29-2007, 09:11 AM
^^^I would agree totally with that tactic.

Fireproof
06-29-2007, 09:11 AM
There's a lot of things I like about it, but I don't want a phone without real keys. I can't even imagine banging out emails on that thing.

But everything else is really cool.

Dubdub
06-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Three things about the iPhone that bother me:

1. No 3G capability. With all of the capability and hype, I really think 3G would be a necessity

2. How secure is the device and its email? My guess is that wasn't a design issue and it doesn't compare with RIM at all.

3. Cannot replace or pull the battery. So what happens in the event of a system crash or freeze. Do you wait until the battery dies to fix it? To replace the battery, do you send it to ATT and have to do without a phone for a period of time.

I am sure more issues will surface as this one gets to be out in public use.

test54
06-29-2007, 09:52 AM
#3 is explained on their newest video on their site. Its like a computer in that you hold the one main button for 6 secondes and it kills any frozen program, and for the reset you press and hold that button and the one on the top right of the device. But I think the battery pull is something that wont be needed, but again until it is used alot im sure we will not know.

3G is definately needed on all at&t devices but i think there was definately a battery issue with the 3G radio for it.

Email im sure as you say was not designed to compare to blackberry, probably more to compete with windows mobile.

MsJosay
06-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Touch screen phones are the worst. I had a PPC-6700, now im sure that the iphone is going to be alot more advanced but it is touch screen never the less. Your screen will constantly be smudged, and its hard to dial while driving. Now dont get me wrong im sure the iphone will have some amazing features, programs, and whatever else, but give me a track wheel any day of the week.

Finally someone that understands the woes of a touch screen! At first I was very excited for the iPhone with all of the hype about it but then I got to thinking (after chucking my MDA for the sole reason that it had a cumbersome touch screen) - this iPhone thing may not be as good as one expects. Sure the new technology is cool but whats the point in using it if your control panel (aka the touch screen) is clouded with fingerprints and face smudges? I imagine the screen is going to be a pain to clean. I'd rather have a clean screen and a pretty little pearl than a dirty screen and one "home" button! :smile:

Pizzle
06-29-2007, 10:21 AM
***moving to Other Handhelds Forum***

jojo6
06-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Three things about the iPhone that bother me:

1. No 3G capability. With all of the capability and hype, I really think 3G would be a necessity

2. How secure is the device and its email? My guess is that wasn't a design issue and it doesn't compare with RIM at all.

3. Cannot replace or pull the battery. So what happens in the event of a system crash or freeze. Do you wait until the battery dies to fix it? To replace the battery, do you send it to ATT and have to do without a phone for a period of time.

I am sure more issues will surface as this one gets to be out in public use.

i thought the iPhone is 3G.

camaxtli
06-29-2007, 12:32 PM
i thought the iPhone is 3G.

Nope, its edge. That's why AT&T tweaked their network. I was wondering why they didnt use the 3g myself.

BBAdmin
06-29-2007, 01:00 PM
No video recording, no voice dialing, no video phone calls, no flash, no 3G, no removable battery, no MP3 ringtones, NO THANKS!

test54
06-29-2007, 01:07 PM
software update, software update, EDGE certainly not fast enough for that, no flash is a good one though, no 3G because of battery drain on chipset, different OS so might not be a need for battery pull (you can kill apps that freeze and do resets), ringtone wil of course be sold through iTunes, im not buying either but do think it will do well.

teamcrn
06-29-2007, 01:18 PM
No video recording, no voice dialing, no video phone calls, no flash, no 3G, no removable battery, no MP3 ringtones, NO THANKS!

out of what you just listed the black berry only has

removable battery
voice dialing

your expecting alot out of a device that is not yet offerd for blackberry why?
does this mean your BB is not a good device?

mr_kitty
06-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Steve Jobs says in a WSJ interview that 3G support required a drain on battery life and a larger physical chipset that was harder to incorporate into the device's form factor. It's not out for future models, just not in 1.0

Battery pulls aren't necessary for most devices. The iPods you can hard reset with a key combo and I expect the iPhone to be the same.

Software updates are done through iTunes not over the air. But then software updates on the Blackberry are done via the desktop manager. At least iTunes runs on both mac and windows.

Apple does all the support. Extended warranties are through Apple as well (if they're immediately available, I haven't heard yet). So that means if your phone dies and you have to send it in, then yes, three days without. Altho, Apple is rumored to have special AppleCare loaner phones for special circumstances or DOA iPhones. Generally with AppleCare repairs they send you a box overnight, you send the device back in that prepaid overnight box, they fix it same day and over night it back to you. So three-day turnaround.

According to the leaked screenshots iPhone has built-in Exchange support over ActiveSync. I hope they find a way to do BES support in the near future.

The keyboard is an unknown vector, of course. Their promo video shows that they've done a lot with the intelligent design of it. Might be good. might suck.

Voice dialing is the first thing I turn off, so I hope they never incorporate that. As far as MP3 ring tones.... are you sure about that? It can obviously play music (as an iPod) so the use of music as ringers isn't a far stretch.

What kills it for me is AT&T only and no IM. I've grown very dependent on my JiveTalk.

teamcrn
06-29-2007, 02:12 PM
They will have MP3 rintones but they have to be purchased through itunes for 99 Cents. Most of the world is use to paying for ringtones so that wont hurt them much. I also turn voice dialing off its annoying i thought i was the only person that did that.

No Longer Registered.
06-29-2007, 04:08 PM
This what I know about getting an iPhone:

1. You can't activate it at the store. You need to logon into your iTunes and sign in and activate.

2. They just basically give a sealed box and if you open it and decide to not use it or even touch it, returning it to the store would cost you restocking fees.

3. The iTunes feature of the iPhone would not work unless you have a data plan. If you decide to keep the phone without any data plan or contract, it is basically a very expensive white Brick.

This information I got from a friend of mine who works with AT&T

Dawg
06-29-2007, 04:27 PM
This what I know about getting an iPhone:

1. You can't activate it at the store. You need to logon into your iTunes and sign in and activate.

2. They just basically give a sealed box and if you open it and decide to not use it or even touch it, returning it to the store would cost you restocking fees.

3. The iTunes feature of the iPhone would not work unless you have a data plan. If you decide to keep the phone without any data plan or contract, it is basically a very expensive white Brick.

This information I got from a friend of mine who works with AT&T

wow thats pretty interesting to say the least.

test54
06-29-2007, 04:33 PM
1 and 2 are definitely true but there is nothing in the training manual that says anything about 3. I cant imaging it would not work at all but it is possible.

if curious Boy Genius has the training manual on his site that explains all the rules clearly.

also iTunes will create ringtone from songs you own also

No Longer Registered.
06-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I was watching the news this morning on KTLA and the cyberguy was interviewing one of the customers waiting patiently outside. He was asked why he is getting the iPhone and his reply was because it is a cool phone.

I think that was pretty dumb answer.

Dawg
06-29-2007, 04:38 PM
I was watching the news this morning on KTLA and the cyberguy was interviewing one of the customers waiting patiently outside. He was asked why he is getting the iPhone and his reply was because it is a cool phone.

I think that was pretty dumb answer.

but thats exactly why most will buy it for that reason alone.

No Longer Registered.
06-29-2007, 04:40 PM
More facts:

14 day return policy for iPhone

All out of box failures are handled by Apple.. no in-store replacement (good luck on this :smile:)

To get contacts from another device they have to buy a special flash drive to load them on then transfer to iPhone .. for $15.00, not bad for a flash drive :)

Customers have 45 days to activate through iTunes

No Longer Registered.
06-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Dawg, if I want to be cool and have the money to spare? I'd buy myself a 2007 Maserati Quattroporte :razz:

JSanders
06-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Dawg, if I want to be cool and have the money to spare? I'd buy myself a 2007 Maserati Quattroporte :razz:

nah, you'd be cool without any of that.

No Longer Registered.
06-29-2007, 05:03 PM
nah, you'd be cool without any of that.

:) Thanks JS

I think if didn't know BlackBerry, I would go with iPhone and toss it after a a month or less. This mobile device is more for entertainment than business. I can't imagine myself replying to emails like I do with my BlackBerry. With my fat digits and all, too hard to be cool when on the side I probably am swearing co'z I am typing 2 characters at a time. That is worse than seeing a hot sexy lady all dolled up and spitting on the gutter :razz: NOT COOL.

Galvatron
07-01-2007, 03:01 AM
even the NOKIA N9 and N98 have more mutimedi features than the iphon an can atleast transfr numbers from sims. the fact tha you can"t cstomize it to you have to buy a flashfrive to port contacts form a device Isn't that the reson SIM cards are used? so bad

King-B
07-01-2007, 01:37 PM
even the NOKIA N9 and N98 have more mutimedi features than the iphon an can atleast transfr numbers from sims. the fact tha you can"t cstomize it to you have to buy a flashfrive to port contacts form a device Isn't that the reson SIM cards are used? so bad

1. Spelling.
2. Spelling..
3. Spelling...

4. I agree that nokia n-series are far more superior. I'm confused by your sim card statement though. The iphone has a sim card slot on the top. And as far as people complaining about porting their non AT&T number to their iphone....well thats always been a problem for years now. Apple is just stupid for making it seem like it was so easy to do. :-(

LOL....I was just sh*ting you on the spelling. I know how much you hate that.

Galvatron
07-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Nokia cean esily blow apple out of the water. No you can put the sim in but th phone will not read the numbers off of the sim into the adress book. And your right about apply tying to make it look easy. Nothing killed a bad prduct more than good advertising.