PDA

View Full Version : Removing the battery cover on an 8830 Poll

roofus
06-30-2007, 02:31 AM
It's always been a pain removing the battery cover on BlackBerrys (or is it BlackBerries?)

The 8830 raises the bar to a new level. What do others use?:

1. can opener
2. crowbar
3. cutting torch
4. hammer
5. all of the above

(n)

gibber9583
06-30-2007, 06:20 AM
ummm.....none of these?

saa001
06-30-2007, 07:25 AM
I was having trouble with mine also. I pray I don't have to open it again because it took about five minutes the first time.

Poor planning

packetknife
06-30-2007, 08:26 AM
This is the first BB door I can't open easily, it takes minutes and lots of aggravation. LOTS. I use a CC once I get it a peep open to help push it along. No kidding. -Pk

CrownSeven
06-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Maybe I'm lucky but mines opens up with zero issues. Push down on the silver square BB logo thingy and push outwards at the same time and she slides ride off?

Sniperet
06-30-2007, 10:11 PM
I had problems at first until I got used to the correct combination of force down on the button and sliding on the cover. Now it is just as tight but I can open it with every time with no problem. I guess it is a learned skill.

PetRiLJoe
07-01-2007, 12:29 AM
At first I had no idea how to open this but when I found out I had to start by pressing down on the silver thing, that was all it took.

Press down on the silver thing while using your fingers to pull back on the battery cover (or push away the battery cover). Make SURE your fingers have little or no oil.

-Joseph L

mundyb
07-01-2007, 12:38 AM
When you can snatch the cover from your Blackberry young grasshopper you will be ready. :)

I thought the 8700 was bad enough, but geesh! Is this a continuing theme with BB? I have only ever had the two, 8700 now 8830.

takeshi
07-01-2007, 01:24 AM
If you do it correctly it will slide off. If you're having trouble figuring out how to get the door off then try applying egrips to the battery door or use something like a full body IS or BSE as any of those will give you a better grip.

roofus
07-01-2007, 01:27 AM
ummm.....none of these?

I forgot to mention: "a dipstick!"

roofus
07-01-2007, 01:28 AM
If you do it correctly it will slide off. If you're having trouble figuring out how to get the door off then try applying egrips to the battery door or use something like a full body IS or BSE as any of those will give you a better grip.

egrips . . . that's a good idea . . . i'll give 'em a try!

bppilot
07-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Just drop the unit - the door comes flying off every time!

dtdt
07-02-2007, 02:58 AM
Mines a total pain in the a*# every single time. I WISH I could just press the silver button and remove the cover with ease.

My favorite part: I know this seems petty, but I take excellent care of my posessions and it irks me that in the process of removing the battery cover, the battery has been severely scratched up. Boo frickin' who, I know....but still.

For that matter, why should we be having to remove the cover for resetting the handset in the first place???

I love my 8830, and like me, it's not perfect. I want a phone/PDA that has a lot of customizable options, and the BB is my favorite weapon of choice.

ishmackxx
07-02-2007, 03:24 PM
I read about this issue before I bought the phone, but it wasn't enough to keep me from upgrading. That being said, I have never had a problem opening the battery cover unless my hands are sweaty or greasy. This may sound stupid, but if you can't open it just wipe your hands against your jeans or shirt or something, press down on the silver square, then slide. That's what I do and the cover comes off in about 1 second.

Steve-hose
07-02-2007, 04:17 PM
it is a learned skill, and i will take it's resistance to come off anytime over my old ppc-6700 which would come off in my pocket