PDA

View Full Version : Refurb or new?

w9ndb
07-01-2007, 10:20 AM
I am ready to purchase an 8100 pearl through AT&T in the next few days and I'd like some advice or opinions on if I should get a refurb or spend the extra ~$225 on a brand new one. Does anyone have experience getting refurb blackberries from AT&T? Are there any "gotchas" that I should know about other than that I'd need to order the refurb and that I could pick the new one up in the store? I've been a fan of getting refurb stuff in the past for the cost savings and never really had any issues (3 of my 4 Treo's have been refurbs, many of my other electronics are as well).
I don't have a problem paying full price, but if I can save $200 with no real negative issues then that will cover my bill for almost 3 months.

My other questions are if I can get the phone and service and port my Verizon number at a later date and if I can easily add a line and change to family talk at a later time. Those are AT&T provider related questions so I understand if no one wants to answer them in here. I'm pretty sure both of those things are technically possible since I did them on Verizon a few years ago.

Comments, Advice and Opinions hereby solicited =)

nb

Mike1138
07-01-2007, 10:40 AM
I bought a refurb Pearl a couple of weeks ago. I got mine for $38 shipped and I don't regret it at all. It looks brand new and works great. You get the same warranty as if you buy new and you have a 30 day "buyers remorse" option if you get it and something is wrong with your phone. I don't see any reason to spend an additional ~$225.

You should be able to port your number and change your plan at a later date.

jeremyckitching
07-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I agree with the above statement. My sister-in-law bought a refurbished one and it looks brand new. All refurbished items are, in most cases, are used items that are basically brand new. Either someone used them and didn't want it and returned it. The company can't resell it as new, so you get a good discount. They also, most times, inspect the unit to ensure proper functionality before selling it. So save yourself the $225 towards the second generation iPhone :razz:

Dawg
07-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I agree with the above statement. My sister-in-law bought a refurbished one and it looks brand new. All refurbished items are, in most cases, are used items that are basically brand new. Either someone used them and didn't want it and returned it. The company can't resell it as new, so you get a good discount. They also, most times, inspect the unit to ensure proper functionality before selling it. So save yourself the $225 towards the second generation iPhone :razz:
same warranty as a new one much lower price. heck yeah a refurb would be in my bag.

w9ndb
07-01-2007, 11:21 AM
same warranty as a new one much lower price. heck yeah a refurb would be in my bag.

OK, that is what I was thinking as well. Coming from an electronics background I know that many refurb items are often more closely scrutinized for flaws and defects before the sale so I figured that this was a good idea. I'm glad to see that others have had good experiences with it as well. I'll be making my order later tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks a lot for the quick response. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions since I have not used a BB since the original nextel one years ago. Thanks again.

nb

Chefken
07-01-2007, 07:33 PM
I picked up two refurbs for wife and I and have not had a problem at all ... and Saved a TON of cash!

ChrisBlaze
07-02-2007, 04:38 AM
I picked up two refurbs for wife and I and have not had a problem at all ... and Saved a TON of cash!

same here, no if I could only get a curve referb!

scoundrel
07-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Where is a good place to get a refurb unit?

JSanders
07-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Where is a good place to get a refurb unit?

Cingular/AT&T have them for a good price. Check their wireless website.

Braxo
07-03-2007, 09:19 AM
My first Blackberry I used for a year was a refurbed 8700c from Cingular. What they do is give it a brand new case, screen, etc. but they reuse the computer components and just reset them. It worked fine until it was stolen from my gym locker 5 days ago.

So, I went online I just ordered the pearl refurbed and received it. You can't tell the difference between the refurbed and a new phone. Though I'm thinking I need the curve for the full keyboard that I'm used too so I'll probably return it.

As a tip if you are ordering off AT&T's website, I used promotion code WLS50 at checkout to receive and extra $50 off the price. My pearl came shipped free to my house in 2 days for $10.86 after tax! Can't beat that.