PDA

View Full Version : BB car charger lightning bolt/ no-lightningbolt

kmb1966
05-16-2005, 08:11 AM
My 7520 car charger does something weird. When I am charging the BB on the car charger, the red indicator light on the plug is on constant, but the lightning bolt on the BB appears momentarily then disappears. If I continue to use the BB, the battery bars decrease, although the BB is plugged into the car charger and the red light is still on. If I unplug the BB and plug it back in the car charger, the lightning bolt appears then re-disappears again.
When charging the BB on the sync unit and wall charger unit, the lightning bolt appears, and the unit charges up fine. Just not on the car adapter charger. Must be something wrong with the car charger???? Bought my car charger from my Nextel dealer, but I don't know what brand it is. Any suggestions or brands for car charger for this situation would be appreaciated.

tf1962
05-16-2005, 08:18 AM
I had something similiar happen with my 7510 about 2 weeks ago. I ended up turning it off (not something i normally do) and when i turned it back on it seemed to work ok. have not had any trouble since.

rcg
05-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Okay first of all... DONT BUY AFTERMARKET CHARGERS OR BATTERIES

Sounds like you have a bad charger or an incompatible type... a few dealers sold Motorola MPx200 chargers to BB users and those don't work.

Get the RIM charger ACC-04173-001 look here for reference: http://store.bizshopr.com/rimrac41731.html

9balla4life
05-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Okay first of all... DONT BUY AFTERMARKET CHARGERS OR BATTERIES

Sounds like you have a bad charger or an incompatible type... a few dealers sold Motorola MPx200 chargers to BB users and those don't work.

Get the RIM charger ACC-04173-001 look here for reference: http://store.bizshopr.com/rimrac41731.html

Very true, you don't want to use cheap aftermarket chargers period because they are made by companies who love to cut corners and use cheap parts so that they can maximize their profits. I'm sure everyone know this but if you use an aftermarket charger and it ends up blowing up your phone (figuretively speaking) or short curcuits your phone then you're manufactures warranty will be voided because you're not using a manufacture approved accessory. Thanks.

kmb1966
05-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Very true, you don't want to use cheap aftermarket chargers period because they are made by companies who love to cut corners and use cheap parts so that they can maximize their profits. I'm sure everyone know this but if you use an aftermarket charger and it ends up blowing up your phone (figuretively speaking) or short curcuits your phone then you're manufactures warranty will be voided because you're not using a manufacture approved accessory. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't mean to buy an aftermarket brand, I bought it at my Nextel dealer when buying my phone. I told him I needed a car charger, and he grabed one off the shelf and gave it to me. Like the old saying, you get what you pay for. Gonna go get a new one tomorrow.

greggebhardt
05-18-2005, 05:47 AM
Like others have said here DO NOT use aftermarket chargers for your BB or cell phone. A friend just learned this lesson with his Nextel phone who ruined his new i860 with a aftermarket charger. It simply fired the phone and would not even turn on after using this charger for a few minutes. He smelled something burning and looked at his phone. It was hot with a blank screen.

Pay the extra few bucks and get the OEM charger.

Dawg
05-18-2005, 06:15 AM
I used an after market Battery in my I and it fried my phone. Luckly I pay the insurance and took it to service center and with in 5 minutes had a working phone in my hand..

gator2418
05-18-2005, 06:21 AM
I had that same problem about a month ago. I bought a after market charger and the dumb thing kept not charging. Went back and bought another one from nextel and it's all good.........

kmb1966
05-18-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks to all on this topic. Brought back my auto charger. Sure enough it WAS a Motorola MPx200. They gave me a new one, the RIM ACC-04173-001. Looks nearly exactly like the other one, except this one works! Thanks again.

VCI_Cell
05-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.12)

Strangely enough, this happens to me while charging my 7520 via my (OEM) USB cable from my laptop. Only a computer reboot solves this problem, which happens rather often.