PDA

View Full Version : The blackberry of the near future

nikolaos
07-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but this morning while drinking my coffee at the office and looking at my blackberry (what else is new? :P ) , I thought about the future.. Most of these features are available technology today, but it would take at least ten years to see them on our phones... who knows, maybe sooner...

The blackberry of the near future

-100 gig space without card
-Digital Camera and video camera that can be activated/deactivated by BES
-can be programmed as a remote for TV etc.. or garage etc..
-can be used as XM radio
-out of service area can be switched to satellite phone
-back of blackberry will have solar energy cells and wil be able to recharge fully in 8 hours period if left off
-thumb recognition on the main screen so they cannot be stolen

Any other good ideas?

JSanders
07-05-2007, 08:43 AM
-thumb recognition on the main screen so they cannot be stolen

Hey, fun ideas. I like them all.

The thumb recognition wouldn't keep it from getting stolen, just make it unusable by the thief, right? Sorta like the password now.

penguin3107
07-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Are you sure it was coffee that you were drinking? ;)

100gig storage without a memory card?
Satellite phone?
Solar energy powered?
Cannot be stolen?

I dunno... I admire your vision, but I don't see those happening in the near future.

(Also, XM radio is already available on the 8300.)

nikolaos
07-05-2007, 08:54 AM
I think I have to disagree..

I recently helped my friend buy a $1200 satellite phone and I was impressed by the small size.. I dont think it would be that hard.

http://www.globalstarusa.com/en/gsp1700/images/photogallery/pic_default.jpg

Look at the size of the 8GB lexar card

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/lexar8GB40XTypeII.jpg

I recently had some family visit from tokyo... The laptop he brought could last for 11.5 hours... new sony vaio... Techonology is moving fast...

Around 1980....

http://www.k20a.org/upload/old-hd.jpg

lol, see the price $2495 LMAO

test54
07-05-2007, 09:07 AM
keep dreaming about most of those. Honestly think any telephone company would put satellite tech into it? Its called Licensing fees or costs for them to put up their own satellites. We cant even get good 4G plans let alone half of these ideas. Solar cells is interesting but how often do you just leave your phone in the sun for hours at a time? Also XM will hopefully merge with Sirius and be available on the blackberry once blackberry puts out a decent browser that allows its player.

10 Years is along time and I think very few of these will be important to us. I think high speed data will make onboard storage a think of the past (Google Storage?) and some follow up to wiMax will allow voip type calls from most places.

harryzuluberries
07-05-2007, 09:31 AM
keep dreaming about most of those. Honestly think any telephone company would put satellite tech into it? Its called Licensing fees or costs for them to put up their own satellites. We cant even get good 4G plans let alone half of these ideas. Solar cells is interesting but how often do you just leave your phone in the sun for hours at a time? Also XM will hopefully merge with Sirius and be available on the blackberry once blackberry puts out a decent browser that allows its player.

10 Years is along time and I think very few of these will be important to us. I think high speed data will make onboard storage a think of the past (Google Storage?) and some follow up to wiMax will allow voip type calls from most places.

Anything is for the having........just have to have enough money. I wouldn't discount any of his ideas (don't know about the timeframe), anything's possible. In ten years, solar cell tech may not need 8 hours......heck, it may not need hourS at all. Or there may be a new power cell tech as there are a few innovations on the horizon. 10 years ago people thought true cybernetics was unlikely by now, but it's happening. In terms of the sat phone, think MVNO. They wouldn't necessarily have to put up their own sats. It could be a hybrid phone with sat roaming features.

FroogleThis
07-05-2007, 09:50 AM
I like the ideas. I can see some of them being implemented, while others seem a little far off (no offence!).

mainly, the Roaming thing would present a conflict with carriers, because they do make VERY good money off of roaming (unless you have free roaming). If that policy doesn't get nixxed, I don't see a carrier giving up profits.

nikolaos
07-05-2007, 01:33 PM
i guess I need to start watching star trek again!

http://cache.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/bluetooth_startrek.jpg