PDA

View Full Version : 8300 "could not start the camera" error.

chrispopovic
07-06-2007, 09:02 AM
I've had my BlackBerry Curve 8300 for about a week now. It's been a great device.

I was surprised how good a picture the camera produced. However, I'm getting an error today that's a little troubling to say the least.

I can start the camera application but it never launches completely. After about a minute I get the message, "Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again."

I can close the camera application but there is a big black square (video fragment) left on the screen. The phone still functions but the only way to get rid of it is to yank the battery and reboot.

I have a couple of extra applications on the device. I'm running PocketDay from Crossriver Systems, BBerry 411, and Ascendo Datavault.

Any ideas anyone?

cmontero7
07-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Can someone please advise per the above error - I am getting the exact same error message.

cmontero7
07-06-2007, 05:56 PM
oh and mine is three days old and there are no add ons or outside apps installed

adam1314
07-06-2007, 06:54 PM
When the camera function won't work usually it is because too many applications are running at once. Click your menu button when you are on the main screen and select "Switch Application." You will then see the applications that are still running. Select one and exit it and then you should be able to operate the camera. Usually if you just close one or two applications you should be fine.

greggebhardt
07-07-2007, 07:07 AM
When is doubt, pull that battery for a minute or so and your memory will be back to normal.

I wish that someone would make a simple progrma to close all programs with a single button push!

BigTX
07-19-2007, 10:56 AM
I really hope someone has some more suggestions. Before I get flamed I have searched this site, crackberry forums, google, and the RIM site for any answers and have not found any suggestions besides here.

I am having the same exact problem as above. I have not installed ANY additional apps, and have had the phone for 6 days. The camera worked for first 2 days until I tried it couple of days ago and got this message.

Phone is for personal use (for now) and is not on BES.

Problem:
I try to start the camera either through button on the side or through main menu and the app starts, sits for about 3 seconds and a popup says "Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again."

I have tried everything I can think of and have listed it below.

Attempts to Resolve

The lowest I can close out applications to is 6 (Phone, PTT, Home Screen, Browser, Blackberry Messenger, and Messages) I have file free or memory available of about 21mb or 21050347 bytes. So I am not sure how much more I can get out of it. RESULT: SAME
I have pulled the battery and let it sit for 30 minutes and reinserted. RESULT: SAME
I tried reloading the OS via the application loader however it says "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator." I have looked for information on performing a hard reset but only see that it says pull the battery.

I feel a bit stupid as its probably something I have not thought of. So any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

munera
08-22-2007, 04:35 PM
I have worked with Tmobile Customer Support for 2 days... after performing all the procedures mentioned in this thread, they said there will be a patch available for download (maybe a new version) next week (August 28th)

I hope this times it works.

MarkoUd
08-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi. I have had the exact same problem as BigTx. I have tried everything and I still cannot get my camera to work. Funny, it worked for a few days aswell and then it just stopped.

Anyone know where you can download the patch that munera has referenced. The device is awesome, but this is driving me crazy.

John Clark
08-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Not sure. TMobile hasn't even released the 8300 so don't know how they could release a patch for a camera problem on it.

robert sreter
09-04-2007, 06:50 AM
I have had exactly the same problem!

Robert

tricky_ott
09-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Were you storing your pictures taken onto an SDcard or onto the onboard memory? If using the onboard, you probably don't have enough free memory to open the camera application. Try deleting the current pictures that you have and see if that helps. The easiest way to check for low memory is to go
Options->Status and check your file free. Thats your free memory.
I don't know how much it needs to open the camera though.

MarkoUd
09-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi. Thanks for your response:-). I have a 1GB media card that has 50 MB of its capacity used (i.e. ~950 free). I uninstalled Blackberry Messenger to try to decrease the number of applications that could be considered by the OS as running. Still, no luck.

Any other ideas?

I really appreciate the help:-)

tapc101
09-05-2007, 01:16 PM
I have a 2GB ultra miniSD card with enable mass storage selected... I have the photos pointing to be saved to the card....

I have at least 50 pics and it works great...

John Clark
09-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi. Thanks for your response:-). I have a 1GB media card that has 50 MB of its capacity used (i.e. ~950 free). I uninstalled Blackberry Messenger to try to decrease the number of applications that could be considered by the OS as running. Still, no luck.

Any other ideas?

I really appreciate the help:-)

Mark,
I suggest reloading/upgrading the OS on the device. Go to the 8300 forum and look at the top at the stickies. There should be one there for the latest OS for the Curve. Load that OS on your device using the instructions provided there. That will likely fix your issue.

MarkoUd
09-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks man:-). The link is referring to the Vodafone package. My provider is Rogers Wireless in Canada. Is there any harm to downloading and using this software rather than using the package for Rogers Wireless? My phone that is exhibiting the problems is using the latest update for Rogers Wireless customers.

Note that I downloaded my software for Rogers Wireless from the official download site on BlackBerry (http://www.blackberry.com).

I really appreciate your assistance:-)

petermarksmith
03-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks man:-). The link is referring to the Vodafone package. My provider is Rogers Wireless in Canada. Is there any harm to downloading and using this software rather than using the package for Rogers Wireless? My phone that is exhibiting the problems is using the latest update for Rogers Wireless customers.

Note that I downloaded my software for Rogers Wireless from the official download site on BlackBerry (http://www.blackberry.com).

I really appreciate your assistance:-)

I have a friend with a curve with the same problem - has the forum concluded that upgrading the OS fixes the problem?

J_Sayen
04-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I had my IT department wipe the phone and reload the latest software....same result. I've also done everything listed in this thread and the same result.

I even took the phone apart to see if the Camera came disconnected from the board but it's fine.

WTF! Mine started doing it about a month or so after I had it.

Anyone?

JOCK
04-02-2008, 04:57 AM
Hi Guys,I am new to the blackberry scene and have blackberry for dummies in the chapter for the camera it states the below and this is word for word sorry if this does not help or it basically is what you have all tried,

If you open the camera application and see "Could not start the camera",close other applications and try opening the camera again,your blackberry is running out of memory for the camera to run smoothly.One solution is to follow what the message says.Press the shift and the escape keys at the same time and a list of applications appears.The escape key is to the right of the trackball and has the curving arrow symbol.Go through these applications and close them.If this doesnt work,the all reliable reset (taking the battery out and putting it back in) is your ultimate solution.

Sorry if i am telling you how to suck eggs.

Cheers Jock

BxMasterMind
04-02-2008, 09:42 PM
After trying everything from a Master Reset to Reloading the blackberry O/S, I called AT&T and they sent me a replacement device.

mwarwick
04-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I have been working through the same issue on one of my user's 8100s. Device works fine otherwise. I've reloaded and restarted everything there is to do. I strongly believe there is a hardware issue causing this. I can otherwise access media on both device memory and SD memory. I did notice that there was a lot of fine particulate inside the back cover...more than normal accumulation. It's unlikely to be software as nothing changed on the device. It worked one day and didn't the next. If anyone finds the silver bullet fix for this, I'd love to hear about it. Otherwise I'm calling warranty exchange.

mas90guru
04-14-2008, 07:25 AM
My 8320 on T-Mo just started doing this as well.

I've done the battery pull to no avail. I have 15mb free memory.

Surprised there is no fix. Could this be a hardware flaw?

molander
04-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I fixed this by
first formating the 4 Gig micro SDcard
Shut down device
Next I removed the card
turned on device
Started camera up without the card
took a photo
shut down device
installed card
turned on device
turned on camera
Acceped that the memory card will be used to store pictures.
Camera now works for me.
Hope it works for you.

apedro15
04-28-2008, 04:38 AM
Blackberry 8100

I have had this problem for the last 4 month after upgrading the OS. The camera never worked, but... two or three times, after taking the phone from my pocket, I saw that the camera was working (the phone was not locked). Then, I wondered why the camera worked in my pocket and not when I tried to make it works.
I have realized that if you put your finger covering the flash when you try to start the camera, the camera will start without problems. Not sure if this will work for you.

IpodLover77
04-29-2008, 12:47 PM
ugh. tried all methods. Battery, reset, molanders, and apedros, but same result. I guess ill just have to wait and hope that the camera will work suddenly.

TonyLom
08-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Reset the BB by removing the battery for five seconds. *******Do not turn it off first************. That will do it.

prspecct
08-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I am having the same problem and went ot Verizon... They said to do a complete blackberry wipe... :( It is easy to do, but quite terrifying in my opinion. And the girl said if that doesn't work to call the 800 number for a replacement...

Kai Team
09-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Reset the BB by removing the battery for five seconds. *******Do not turn it off first************. That will do it.
This worked on my Curve 8310. The trick may be leaving the phone on when you pull the battery.

coldconfession13
09-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Wirelessly posted

Common problems wiping and what not won't work I've seen threads like this and I assume its a hardware issue

kimberlys
10-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks to whoever posted the solution that worked for me.

LEAVE PHONE ON
PULL BATTERY 5 SECONDS
REPLACE BATTERY

This enabled my camera again when all other solutions failed. :smile:

xxhiyanxx
10-25-2008, 09:16 PM
my sprint curve is doing the samething after less then a day of use. Pulling the battery does not work. seeing that people have had this happen after a month of use is making me not want a curve anymore, since after 30 days i can no longer exchange this phone.

John Clark
10-25-2008, 09:21 PM
You should have a one year warranty

ibber
10-28-2008, 03:53 AM
My 8300 has the same issue, but it cannot be solved by any of solutions mentioned above, what I can do is just leave the camera......

tanishast
11-29-2008, 11:57 PM
It IS NOT A SOFTWARE PROBLEM!! It is a hardware problem, and the fix was pretty easy.

I sold my barely used Blackberry Curve 8310 on eBay only to find once she received the phone the camera no longer worked. After searching and searching to find a fix and upgrading the OS, pulling the battery I found a forum that simply stated to push in on the camera itself. I did that, and VOILA!!! FIXED.

I registered for this site just to let others know you don't have to go through all of the headache and trials of software upgrades and installs.

John Clark
11-30-2008, 12:04 AM
That fix will work many times.

If this happens while the device is under warranty, I'd still replace it.

btls64
03-23-2009, 07:29 AM
this worked for me. opened the back and with a small screwdriver or i just used the back case itself, i pressed around the outer plastic ring of the camera. i heard a click as it snapped back in place. rebooted and boom me cammy works.

dheimerl
03-24-2009, 02:30 PM
this worked for me. opened the back and with a small screwdriver or i just used the back case itself, i pressed around the outer plastic ring of the camera. i heard a click as it snapped back in place. rebooted and boom me cammy works.

Thank the maker. I've tried all proposed solutions to this problem (battery, OS upgrades, wipes, etc), on many different forums, and this is the first thread to mention pressing down the camera itself. It finally worked!!

I can't believe this is such a mystery to everyone. THANK YOU!

Try this first, before anything else!

kleyba
03-24-2009, 03:22 PM
I don;t know which one but I did the battery removal while on, and as it was rebooting I pressed on the camera and flash area before putting the cover back on.

Thanks!!!!

nt007
03-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Thank the maker. I've tried all proposed solutions to this problem (battery, OS upgrades, wipes, etc), on many different forums, and this is the first thread to mention pressing down the camera itself. It finally worked!!

I can't believe this is such a mystery to everyone. THANK YOU!

Try this first, before anything else!

wow .. i'm impressed . after 1 month try to solve this problem .. install and reinstall OS .. this conclusion is work .. thanks' to the forum .. great work ...

lb90274
04-09-2009, 01:06 PM
pressing worked for me too. THX

MERK350Z
04-10-2009, 05:10 PM
i used to have the same error but the way i fixed it was that just got a new micro sd card and it worked.

tomato1
04-13-2009, 09:29 AM
thanks for info.https://sv18.net/movie/35/b/reading.gif

daniesq
06-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Hello all,

I thought that I would share my experience with you as this error is particularly frustrating.

After doing exhaustive research, we embarked on a strategy of implementing the least-complex fixes to the most-complex fixes. We started with the battery pull, then upgraded the OS. Finally, based on what we read in this thread, we decided that we would disassemble the BlackBerry 8330 and check to see if the camera was making contact.

Upon taking apart the 8330 and examining the camera, it was clear that pieces were loose. The camera itself is a basically a small cylinder with a lens on one end that sits in a square-like enclosure. (I tried to include links to some photos of these pieces but this forum blocked me; try a search on MobiShark and BoyGenius Report for photos.) Both the left and right sides of this enclosure had slid up somewhat. In addition, the cylinder-type part was also not making contact with the circuit board. Applying gentle downward pressure with a finger was all it took to return all three parts to their intended places.

After we closed up, we tested the camera and found it to be working perfectly.

My advice is that if you're having this problem and not comfortable taking apart your BlackBerry, that you take it to a repair facility to have someone else do it. However, there are many good video tutorials on YouTube, as well as photo tutorials on Google, that will walk you through the process of taking apart a BlackBerry. Good luck!:bb:

MERK350Z
06-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Hello all,

I thought that I would share my experience with you as this error is particularly frustrating.

After doing exhaustive research, we embarked on a strategy of implementing the least-complex fixes to the most-complex fixes. We started with the battery pull, then upgraded the OS. Finally, based on what we read in this thread, we decided that we would disassemble the BlackBerry 8330 and check to see if the camera was making contact.

Upon taking apart the 8330 and examining the camera, it was clear that pieces were loose. The camera itself is a basically a small cylinder with a lens on one end that sits in a square-like enclosure. (I tried to include links to some photos of these pieces but this forum blocked me; try a search on MobiShark and BoyGenius Report for photos.) Both the left and right sides of this enclosure had slid up somewhat. In addition, the cylinder-type part was also not making contact with the circuit board. Applying gentle downward pressure with a finger was all it took to return all three parts to their intended places.

After we closed up, we tested the camera and found it to be working perfectly.

My advice is that if you're having this problem and not comfortable taking apart your BlackBerry, that you take it to a repair facility to have someone else do it. However, there are many good video tutorials on YouTube, as well as photo tutorials on Google, that will walk you through the process of taking apart a BlackBerry. Good luck!:bb:

one of the issues i was having with my 8300 was when i click on the camera i would get an error and it would close. i took it part and checked everything, but saw nothing wrong . i took a new micor sd card and droped it right in it started right up. did you try a differnt card. i could not belive it was that simple.

vsg13
06-07-2009, 09:52 AM
I have been fighting the camera for months because it wouldn't work.

I felt like an idiot sitting there squeezing the camera, but then it worked! Pushing on the camera is the best solution, and I've tried everything (wiping the OS, changing the card, adding the updates).

I guess I never thought that something as mechanical as squeezing the camera area would make it work.

Thanks!

keano
07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Unbelivable how this press on the camera fix is the actual solution to the problem. Thanks to whoever came up with it. And I agree that if you do not success in the first place keep pressing. I also did the batterry reset as mentioned.

It makes sense because the camera stopped working after I was shaking my phone due to sand getting at it.

Thanks!

sandeep9669
07-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi,
I solved more than 50 berries who have this problem.

Its 10000000% hardware Problem..

I will submit full solution soon.

With Images.

Raspberry8310
07-20-2009, 05:22 AM
Hi,
I solved more than 50 berries who have this problem.

Its 10000000% hardware Problem..

I will submit full solution soon.

With Images.

I'd just like to post my experiences with the Camera on my own 8310.
It unfortunately failed about 3 months after owning my brand new curve 8310.

Having tried the following things to no avail:

Battery pull (Numerous times)
Different and no SD cards.
Full factory wipe.(a couple of times, once with JLcommander)
an OS upgrade to latest unbranded latest OS.
Reflash back to original supplied O2 OS.
Tryied 'pushing' the camera area in.
Various other software tips and tricks that have been suggested by some to work.

Being a Toshiba certified engineer and having none of the above working and already having a crack on the outter screen due to a drop (some week or two after failed camera) and knowing that I wouldn't be able to get a warranty repair for that reason I did the following.

Opened the 8310 up, pulled the camera module, cleaned all the insides of the phone with compressed air, checked component and chip seating and replugged the camera module.

The result was still the same. "could not start the camera, please close applications and try again" error.

I do believe as sandeep9669 mentioned this is a HW failure in most instances if not then a very deep rooted firmware problem.

I notice some people have had success with other tricks and believe they have been lucky. If sandeep9669 has an alternate fix for this I for one would love to hear it.

As it stands it has put me off my blackberry somewhat and made me hesitant about making a similar future purchase and also diminished my useability of my blackberry by a large margin.

John Clark
07-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

This fix has worked for most people with this problem. As a Toshiba engineer I would think that you know that any piece of equipment can fail from cell phones to multimillion dollar sophisticated aircraft and thata few failures over millions if devices shouldn't "throw you off" from Blackberry. There are lots of new models of BB's now. I would give one of them a try.

Raspberry8310
07-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

This fix has worked for most people with this problem. As a Toshiba engineer I would think that you know that any piece of equipment can fail from cell phones to multimillion dollar sophisticated aircraft and thata few failures over millions if devices shouldn't "throw you off" from Blackberry. There are lots of new models of BB's now. I would give one of them a try.

I agree, I guess I was more frustrated as I had a collection of issues surrouning the BB. The camera for one, the other was that after an OS upgrade I was unable to alter the start home page for the BB browser, even downgrading back do to the original OS was unable(strangely) to help with this. And finally the SD card failed in the device.

This was further enhanced that I was unable to get a warranty repair on the device, granted it was through my own fault however.

It has been my first Blackberry device so just felt let down and unlucky.

sandeep9669
07-20-2009, 02:02 PM
@<hidden> all,

Sorry for late Reply,

Because of Buzz Schedule.

In my service center I solved this problem many times as I told before.

As per My Knowledge ::::: >>>>

!. It is hardware Problem.

Solution :>

1. Disassemble phone - Use T-5 And T-6 Screw driver to open your phone,

2. Remove Steel ( Metal ) Cover carefully.

3. Press Camera lens with medium force.

4. Turn on Phone and ( As it is ) check if camera is working ( Approx 10-20 % Solved by this method)

P.S. - This is a Hardware problem - if your phone fail down some time then it can happen. ( Loose Contact )

5. If not solved by pressing then pull out camera lens and clean copper connector interface of lens. Fix it again and test. ( 5-10 % Solved by this method).

6. Till no luck - then you should replace your lens.
In lense there is to types ( Same lens Can used for all Pearl Curve )only difference is that there are one slot @<hidden> one side of lense - you must match that. ( 60-70 % Solved by this way) .

7. If not solved - Then I think there should problem with connection layers.
( Connection Track ) If this track is damaged in between so you cannot solved easily. ( 10 % )

P.S. - Its hardware problem.

If someone saying its software problem and if its true then it should be in last option where my guess is wrong.

:)

Thanks. And sorry but i don't get time to take some pictures. but i will. )