PDA

View Full Version : Bell 8830 Modem/Tethering Instructions

lg777
07-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Was told that I needed to download Mobile Connect software but it did not list the 8830 as a device.

Got these instructions instead:

1. Click START > SETTINGS > Network Connections. (if it does not open a window, double-click) 2. Chose "Create a new connection."
3. The wizard will begin.
4. Select "Connect to the Internet."
5. Select "Set up my connection manually."
6. Select "Connect using a dial-up modem."
7. Type in an "ISP Name." This can be anything.
8. Type in the 1x dial-up number. This is #777.
9. The "Connection Availability" is user preference. "Anyone's use"
allows any login on the computer access the connection. "My use only"
will only provide this connection to the currently logged in user.
10. The username and password are not necessary with mobile IP devices.
Attempt the connection leaving this information blank.
11. Complete!
12. When you return to the Network Connection window, you may then double-click on the new connection and begin dialing.

Also check these settings:

1. Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.2 or later on the computer.
When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that enable the BlackBerry smartphone to communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.

2. Ensure you have the Desktop Manager synchronizing with the BlackBerry before proceeding. Select Options > Connection Settings and pick the USB connection to the BlackBerry in the Conection drop down box to select the BlackBerry 8830. Confirm the status bar at the bottom of the Desktop Manager states the BlackBerry is Connected.

Note: If you are upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from a previous version, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.2 and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

3. In the Connect window, click Properties and verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.

pheffron
07-19-2007, 10:46 AM
You could be a lifesaver here! ... you mention that username and password are not necessarily required. I left it blank but when connecting it keeps popping back up and asking me for these.
I was previously using my 8703 with Voyageur and I went and looked at those settings and had the following:

Mobile Number: 416xxxxxxx
Domain: 1X.bell.ca
NAI: 416xxxxxxx@<hidden>
Original Voice-Mail Password: yyyy
Get IP Address Automatically = yes
Get Domain Name Service Automatically = yes

I've tried these things in the username and password but nothing seems to work. Any thoughts anyone?

lg777
07-19-2007, 09:09 PM
I suggest you create an entire new connection and call it 8830.

Also, I reviewed the instructions and noticed that I missed one step but not sure if it affects connection.

Enable hardware flow control should be unchecked...in fact all those check boxes should be left unchecked for your blackberry modem. (Actually it's way at the bottom)

If that doesn't work, maybe uninstall Voyageur...I used to have Bell's 7250 with Voyageur and moved to Roger's 8700r so I don't have Voyageur installed anymore.

Good luck!