PDA

View Full Version : urgent question-BB arrives tomorrow

athreya
09-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Urgent question

I am moving onto the BB from a treo 600 tomorrow. I am going with Cingular/ ATT.
My question is:

1)What do i need todo to:

A) Sync/ push my work email (Lotus) on it?
B) Sync /push my personal email -pop3-on it?

I mean does what we pay the carriers for the data pay for the BES and MDS services?

2)My corporate IT department charges $35 every month for providing BES/MDS and for pushing my work email / calenders etc to the BB. Do i still need this?

3)Which public MDS/BES server is the best? If i sign up for one of these, will i NOT need to pay my corporate IT deptt to get my work email and calender on my BB?

thanks a lot in advance

bollar
09-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Urgent question

I am moving onto the BB from a treo 600 tomorrow. I am going with Cingular/ ATT.
My question is:

I mean does what we pay the carriers for the data pay for the BES and MDS services?

2)My corporate IT department charges $35 every month for providing BES/MDS and for pushing my work email / calenders etc to the BB. Do i still need this?

3)Which public MDS/BES server is the best? If i sign up for one of these, will i NOT need to pay my corporate IT deptt to get my work email and calender on my BB?

thanks a lot in advance

1. You need BES to connect to your work e-mail unless you have Outlook Web Access access to your e-mail (I'm guessing this is doubtful in a Notes environment.

You need BWC to connect to your home e-mail. You can connect to 10 POP and other accounts via BWC.

2. Yes, I think you need the company BES. You will not be able to sync your calendar for sure, and possibly not your mail if you don't have this.

3. With the company BES, you don't need a third party BES.

athreya
09-30-2004, 09:12 PM
1)Do any of the carriers provide BES and MDS?
2) If i go for a Third party BES/MDS server do I still need a work server (which is more expensive?)///Which service is the best out there today?

thanks!

finch
09-30-2004, 09:15 PM
Urgent question

My question is:

You'll need to be setup on the BES server and have the service books sent to your device.

Your data service will include what is call BWC (Blackberry Web Client) where you can setup your POP3 accounts to be pushed to your device.

BES no, some carriers have launched public MDS so yes to MDS in some cases.

If you want MDS, wireless calendaring etc. yes, if you don't require this you can use the desktop redirector to redirect a copy of messages to your notes inbox to you BB as well

eOutlook, Mailstreet, Intermedia, Lanlogic are a few outsourced Exchange/BES/MDS solutions cheaper yes but you won't be able to get work mail.

thanks a lot in advance

bollar
09-30-2004, 09:15 PM
1)Do any of the carriers provide BES and MDS?
2) If i go for a Third party BES/MDS server do I still need a work server (which is more expensive?)///Which service is the best out there today?

thanks!

1. T-Mobile, AT&T and Cingular do not provide BES/MDS.

2. It's important to know that if you do not use your corporate BES, you will not have wireless sync for your calendar and I'm not sure you'll have any access to your corporate e-mail. A third party BES can not give you access to these items.

finch
09-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Go here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=53

athreya
09-30-2004, 09:18 PM
thats very helpful...so my takeaway is:
1)I DO need a BES and MDS, preferably from my corporate office...
2)Why do we need a third party at all?
3)Whats a BWC? Is that also needed in addition to bes and mds?

bollar
09-30-2004, 09:22 PM
thats very helpful...so my takeaway is:
1)I DO need a BES and MDS, preferably from my corporate office...
2)Why do we need a third party at all?
3)Whats a BWC? Is that also needed in addition to bes and mds?

2 -- if you don't have a BES/MDS of your own, you might not get full internet access. That makes it desirable to have a third party solution.

3 -- BlackBerry Web Client. It's the system that collects your e-mail and pushes it to your BB. It comes with any BB data subscription.

athreya
09-30-2004, 09:24 PM
thanks alot...
1) i take the bes and mds from my office for $35 a month :(
2) and i take the BWC from cingular which is part of what we pay for data?

did i get it right? i need ALL THREE?

bollar
09-30-2004, 09:26 PM
thanks alot...

did i get it right? i need ALL THREE?

Yep.