PDA

View Full Version : how to use blackberry messenger

cbi1000
07-11-2007, 12:09 AM
hello, first post, first blackberry.
I've been looking at the bb messenger and i cant' figure it out. The book i recieved from verizon about the phones sucks.

when i open bb messenger and click on contacts and then add contact it opens my address book, then i select someone, then i get a screen that says empty or cancel. i select empty and then i'm right back where i started from. I can't figure out how to add someone to the messenger contact list.

what am i not getting? I know my bother has a bb, i try to select his name out of the address book and add him as a bb messenger contact but it doesn't add it.

Any help would be very greatful...

thanks,

theBorg
07-11-2007, 01:33 AM
BB msgr is for PIN message chats between BlackBerry devices. PIN messaging is like SMS, except you don't get charged for SMS.

RIM assigns a PIN number to every BB and the address is based on that instead of a cell phone number. To add a buddy you need their PIN in your contact entry.

There's a huge thread on people looking for PIN buddies. Hit one of those cats up if you need a buddy to test it out. Use the search to find the thread.

It's possible that some non BB devices can use BB msgr if they use the "Blackberry Connect" platform. Tho I'm not sure PINs are implemented with BB Connect.

RPeppekus
07-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Hmmm, you don't need to know the PIN of people you want to chat with. If you know they are using a blackberry with their email address, you can simply add them (with their email address) as contacts and your BB will figure out the rest.

cbi1000
07-11-2007, 09:00 AM
thanks for the info