PDA

View Full Version : 8800 v. 8830

jewberry
07-11-2007, 05:57 AM
Are there any advantages to either phone with service in the US & CAN? I want ONE device that I can use in US & CAN with 2 wireless accounts. It is my understanding that I can swap a Rogers & AT&T/T-Mobile SIM in one device, do a new EA each time I travel (big deal) and not carry around 2 phones.

Will this work with the 8800/8300? Will it work with the 8830? Is T-Mobile better than AT&T in greater LA?

Your thoughts & opinions please.

takeshi
07-11-2007, 09:04 AM
The main difference would be the difference in coverage depending on the carriers you have to choose from.

Also, you can't use North American SIM's in the 8830.

Btw, if you're just swapping SIM's there's no need to do an EA. The BES ties via the PIN of the BB -- not via the SIM. It doesn't care which carrier you're on. If you use BIS you would have to delete and re-associate the BIS accounts each time as BIS is carrier-specific.

jewberry
07-11-2007, 09:33 AM
The main difference would be the difference in coverage depending on the carriers you have to choose from.

Also, you can't use North American SIM's in the 8830.

Btw, if you're just swapping SIM's there's no need to do an EA. The BES ties via the PIN of the BB -- not via the SIM. It doesn't care which carrier you're on. If you use BIS you would have to delete and re-associate the BIS accounts each time as BIS is carrier-specific.

Fantastic Takeshi! Thank you!

One more question- would a Rogers Curve be unlocked or unlockable such that I can throw a AT&T sim card in there?

chjamil
07-11-2007, 02:39 PM
possible to send SMS from laptop if you're BB 8800 is conected through USB with your laptop. I used the same feature with Nokia N70 using PC suite.