PDA

View Full Version : EDGE network up and down

schmidt2k8
07-12-2007, 03:44 PM
I just got off the phone with a data tech from ATT and he said that the whole country is having issues with the EDGE network going to "edge". They are working on the issue but do not have an ETA on when it will be resolved. My 8800 has been going from "EDGE" to "edge" for the last two days and I have had to pull the battery each time to get it back. He said to just go to manage connections and disable the radio and then turn it back on and it should go back to "EDGE".

Just thought I would let everyone know in case they are having the same issue.

JSanders
07-12-2007, 03:58 PM
NO issues here, solid EDGE all day, last few days.

You know the CSRs will tell you something like that to keep from having to 1) find a real answer, 2) keep you from calling back a couple days while they "fix" the network. 3) it could be true.

schmidt2k8
07-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I thought it may be some third party app that loaded...I will give it a few days then I will delete all apps and go from there.

or...

I will blaim it on the iphone.

penk
07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
happening all over, but happening as i type this, here in austin.

similar talk at HoFo (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1197638) and here at BBFo (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/85542-edge-issue.html)

cbi1000
07-12-2007, 08:42 PM
What is the difference between edge and EDGE?

4n6doc
07-12-2007, 08:57 PM

http://dropshots.com/photos/254520/20070703/201419.jpg

penk
07-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (penkberry: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

"EDGE" indicates a secure connection, necessary for the internet and all service book-related applications to communicate through the network.

(i think)

penk
07-12-2007, 09:22 PM
excellent reply, 4n6doc!

(beats mine that was held up by the penkberry dropping down to "GSM")

macallik
07-12-2007, 09:26 PM
I've had this problem for a while since June on and off.

nuopus
07-13-2007, 11:57 AM

I left my Treo 650 because of the constant crashes and reboots. I left Windows Mobile because I ran lots of programs and got out of memory errors and crashes. So I went BlackBerry. Now, I don't get crashes, but I am pulling my battery out like no other because the network is on and off, and removing the battery works. (sometimes turning radio on and off doesnt)

Is this just a part of BlackBerry or is this a hickup and it should get better? I am enjoying my BB, so I don't want to get something else. BUT, right now this unreliable network if VERY ... VERY frustrating.

I am with AT&T by the way. Any suggestions?

blackberry_dev
07-13-2007, 11:58 AM
we have had simlar problems with vodafone here in the uk too

powercx
07-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I thought it was just me, sometimes I can connect to the BlackBerry browser, sometimes I can't. When I can't, I use the Media Net browser. When all fails, I use Opera Mini. When Opera Mini fails, I do a network test within the Opera Mini browser then it works again. When all fails, then I just sit there, look at the BB, and try all three browsers again. Usually it's back up within 10 seconds, not minutes. I'm in California.

macallik
07-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I think these carriers are doing something to their networks which is creating all the problems. But I see no advisorys on their websites.

walds11
07-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Same here. VERY frustrating!!!

schmidt2k8
07-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Mine has been pretty stable so far today.

nuopus
07-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I guess this is just a bad time. Oh well .... im not ready to jump ship yet though. I still love my blackberry.

penk
07-15-2007, 10:27 PM
after picking up my 'berry and seeing "GSM" one too many times this weekend, i decided i would call (again). started with tmo care, went to pda/bb support, then on to RIM.

the skinny: tmo has been receiving an increased number of calls concerning fluctuating/lost EDGE connections - RIM is unable to identify an issue, but is researching the situation

nothing specific, but then you never really get anything specific from them anyway...

i havent seen any mention of it, but have any of you been noticing delays or odd behavior with BBMessenger, even while showing an "EDGE" connection? sent-but-not-delivered, the clock icon that never goes away, etc?

(on a side note, it really is frustrating to go through every trouble shooting step that you've already tried. it must be frustrating for them, too, but since their calls may be evaluated you have to "play along".)

jeremyckitching
07-15-2007, 11:22 PM
I have had no issues at all for the past month or so. Solid EDGE connection and all messages go through without issue. Guess I am one of the lucky ones.

nuopus
07-15-2007, 11:26 PM
after picking up my 'berry and seeing "GSM" one too many times this weekend, i decided i would call (again). started with tmo care, went to pda/bb support, then on to RIM.

the skinny: tmo has been receiving an increased number of calls concerning fluctuating/lost EDGE connections - RIM is unable to identify an issue, but is researching the situation

nothing specific, but then you never really get anything specific from them anyway...

i havent seen any mention of it, but have any of you been noticing delays or odd behavior with BBMessenger, even while showing an "EDGE" connection? sent-but-not-delivered, the clock icon that never goes away, etc?

(on a side note, it really is frustrating to go through every trouble shooting step that you've already tried. it must be frustrating for them, too, but since their calls may be evaluated you have to "play along".)

Ya this is just too frustrating. Ill give it just a couple more months to see what is going on before I leave BlackBerry. I really don't want to leave it, but I like my data connectivity even more.

BlackBerry is completely useless to me with these problems. Not only because I can't browse very well, but once in a while I go half the day and realize I havent got any email only to realize I have to pull the battery and put it back in, and now I have late correspondence. This is ridiculous for a business tool where the point is to keep you connected.

pspiegel
07-16-2007, 12:12 AM
i am having issues tonight with blackberry messenger, it is giving me sporadic delivery, it is also switching back and forth between EDGE and edge

walds11
07-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Yes, it is very frustrating.

Ya this is just too frustrating. Ill give it just a couple more months to see what is going on before I leave BlackBerry. I really don't want to leave it, but I like my data connectivity even more.

BlackBerry is completely useless to me with these problems. Not only because I can't browse very well, but once in a while I go half the day and realize I havent got any email only to realize I have to pull the battery and put it back in, and now I have late correspondence. This is ridiculous for a business tool where the point is to keep you connected.

penk
07-16-2007, 05:53 AM
Ya this is just too frustrating. Ill give it just a couple more months to see what is going on before I leave BlackBerry. I really don't want to leave it, but I like my data connectivity even more.i forgot to respond to your first comment like this, and nobody else did, so...

this is easily the worst it's been in the last two or three years. there have been localized issues that persisteed for a day or so, maybe longer, but a widespread issue/non-issue like this is fairly rare for blackberry.

little to no acknowledgement from RIM suggests they really don't understand what's happening - even "Brick Tuesday" had a public announcement from both RIM and the carriers.

basically, don't take this as any indication of extended use of/with blackberry. when it's good it's great, but when it's bad it's... this.