PDA

View Full Version : Restart Cycle - Won't stop!

mknoebel
07-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Because this isn't getting much of a look in the 7100 section and probably isn't specific to that line of BB, I'm going to post it in the General section here hoping someone has some ideas on what we can do to fix this.

My wife has the 7130e BB. She was trying to download a theme OTA. Towards the end of the download ( I don't think it finished) her BB restarted itself. When it recycled itself, it came to a screen that says "Data Aborted". When you click the wheel it restarts itself. It's just a continuous cycle of restart.

Any thoughts on what she can do to get it operating again? We have pulled out the battery, but as soon as we put it in it starts the cycle again.

LunkHead
07-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Sounds like something went amiss... Try this to get the device back to factory specs...

How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F)

Kris

mknoebel
07-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Sounds like something went amiss... Try this to get the device back to factory specs...

How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F)

Kris

That's what we were afraid of! Thanks, Kris.

mknoebel
07-17-2007, 10:18 PM

Kris

Any idea how long it takes to wipe out the BB? It's been "thinking" for about a half an hour. Just wondering if that's normal or if I should start it over.

mknoebel
07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I loaded Jl Cmder onto my computer and loaded it up. I took the battery out of the BB, connected it to the computer, ran the program and told it to wipe the BB clean. I get to a red screen that reads:
RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
Copyright 2001-2005 Research in Motion Limited
Connecting to device....

And it just sits on this screen and doesn't do anything else. I tried a few different times last night and this morning, and nothing seems to be changing. Does this mean that the wipe will not work, that I need to be more patient, or that I'm doing something wrong?

LunkHead
07-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Are you using a USB HUB???? If so that might be the issue....

If not then there are times where Jl_Cmder will not connect... In these instances the ONLY other option is this:

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe)

Follow the instructions and you should be fine.... I had the same issue with my 8800 and this solved it...

Kris

mknoebel
07-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Are you using a USB HUB???? If so that might be the issue....

If not then there are times where Jl_Cmder will not connect... In these instances the ONLY other option is this:

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe)

Follow the instructions and you should be fine.... I had the same issue with my 8800 and this solved it...

Kris

Thanks for the reply, Kris.

It is plugged directly into my laptop USB port. It's still trying to connect -- so I'll try the next step.

LunkHead
07-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Jl_Cmder should connect and wipe in a matter of seconds! If it is not then you are correct in moving on to the next step...

Good luck and ask if you have any questions... I am on lunch break now and have to head back to work in a few.... I will check back after work and make sure you are a-ok... :)

Kris

mknoebel
07-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Can someone who is more experienced in computers tell me what I'm doing wrong here...

I'm in the Command Prompt, and I'm typing in
1. Start a Command Prompt in DOS from the PC (Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt)

2. Change the directory to: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

* If you do not know how to navigate to this directory follow instructions in 2a)

2a)

From C:\ prompt type:

cd Program Files
cd Common Files
cd Research In Motion
cd AppLoader

After typing it in, I get a message saying: C:\ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

What am I typing in wrong?

mknoebel
07-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Disregard the above message...
I figured it out!

LunkHead
07-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Did you get it working????

mknoebel
07-18-2007, 03:04 PM
It JUST rebooted - I now have a working BB again!
Thanks very much for the help!!

LunkHead
07-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Awesome!!!! Another BB saved from the clutches of certain death!!!! :)

mknoebel
07-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Awesome!!!! Another BB saved from the clutches of certain death!!!! :)

(y)

mknoebel
07-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Did you get it working????

The BB works as a phone and gets emails. However the internet browser and blackberry messenger have disappeared.

I did a search on the forums to give me some ideas. So far I have pulled the battery out and put it back in. That didn't work. Then I did the Options > Advanced > Host Routing Table, click to REGISTER NOW. That didn't work. Finally, I had Verizon resend the service books. But that didn't work either.

Any other thoughts on what I can do? Or is it time to call Verizon and have them help us out?

And I know I can get the bb messenger through the internet, is there another way to get it?

LunkHead
07-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Have you pulled the battery since Verizon said they sent the books???

If so, it's sounds like a service book issue OR a provisioning issue....

Sounds like to have covered all the bases.... Did you get registration messages in the inbox of the BB after they said they resent the service books???

Kris

mknoebel
07-19-2007, 04:05 PM
It's going to be a service book issue OR a provisioning issue....

Sounds like to have covered all the bases.... Did you get registration messages in the inbox of the BB after they said they resent the service books???

Kris

Yes. But the message said something like, You will be able to receive emails in 20 minutes.

mknoebel
07-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Just saw your edited post. Yeah, the last thing we did was pull the battery, waited about a minute, then put it back in. Still no browser.

LunkHead
07-19-2007, 04:16 PM
If you do not want to call them back, try resend the service books yourself (pull battery afterwards) and call back if the browser does not show up after that...

Resend book using this link:

Internet Browser FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Internet_Browser_FAQ)

If all this fails then they will need to be called...

Kris

mknoebel
07-19-2007, 04:23 PM
I'll give it another try. Thanks again for your help, Kris!

John Clark
07-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Also, BBMessenger is not a native app on the 8703e. You have to download it from www.blackberry.com/messenger

mknoebel
07-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Also, BBMessenger is not a native app on the 8703e. You have to download it from www.blackberry.com/messenger

I actually have it for my 8703e. I'm looking for it for my wife's 7130. It disappeared after I did the wipe and reload.

LunkHead
07-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Is the browser back???

John Clark
07-19-2007, 06:29 PM
I actually have it for my 8703e. I'm looking for it for my wife's 7130. It disappeared after I did the wipe and reload.

It's not native on any device running 4.1 OS or older. You have to download it from the site I linked above using the BB's Browser. If you had to reload the OS from scratch then it wouldn't have backed up and restored. It's simple enough just to download and reinstall.

**Note: this does not apply to 4.2 OS devices as BBMessenger is included with the OS.

mknoebel
07-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Is the browser back???

I tried for the third time to try to add it with the desktop manager. FINALLY everything came up and it gave me the option to add the browser and bb messenger! I'm waiting for her BB to reboot, but I think it's gonna work!

LunkHead
07-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Awesome!!!!! You are almost 100% back on track! That is great news!!!! :)

KriY

mknoebel
07-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Awesome!!!!! You are almost 100% back on track! That is great news!!!! :)

KriY

The BB is back up and running, and the browser and BB Messenger are there now! You guys are very helpful! Thanks much...
(y)

LunkHead
07-19-2007, 06:49 PM
These forums ROCK yes??? Ya gotta love em!!! :)

Kris

kramsay1234
07-20-2007, 01:03 AM
DM says the install is successful, but I still can't get past this hour glass. Can anyone help me with what is wrong?