PDA

View Full Version : Disabling the Auto Lock Feature/Changing password length

cwonsey
07-20-2007, 12:24 PM
So I want to disable the Password in my Security Options --> General Settings menu but there is a little red padlock next to it and I cannot change the option from Enabled. Is this just a feature of this model that it requires the password be enabled?

I have installed the O/S versions available from Cingular, T-Mobile, and Rogers. Currently it shows I'm runnin: Wireless Handheld (EDGE) v4.2.1.90 (Platform 2.3.0.72).

After changing the settings to not lock for 2 hours, I have realized that the trackball is a bit too likely to make calls when holstered if the device isn't locked, but the fact that they require I think an 8 character password is just too much. When I want to get into my phone, I want to do it in 2-3 buttons.

Any help is appreciated.

EmptyInTheHead
07-20-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm going to guess that you are on BES and your BES admin has set a policy that is enforcing those settings and not let you change them.

Thatzmister2u
07-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Have you tried hitting "Alt" on the field? If your not on a BES enforced policy it may give the option to disable.

cwonsey
07-20-2007, 02:07 PM
I am not on a BES. I just tried highlighting "Enabled" and pressing the "Alt" key. It just puts the arrow in my corner like usual, nothing else.

aiharkness
07-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

cwonsey, something doesn't sound right? Did you put the password on the BB?

Out of curiosity, go to general secuirty options and tell what is there under services.

cwonsey
07-20-2007, 02:48 PM
This BB was purchased from Ebay and came with a password on it. I have changed that password, but have not been able to disable the lock.

I have included my entire screen settings below:

Options-->Security Options-->General Settings
Password: Enabled (with a little red padlock on the left of the word - this is the only option I cannot modify)
Number of Password Attempts: 10
Security Timeout: 30 Minutes

Lock Handheld Upon Holstering: Yes
Allow Outgoing CAlls While Locked: No

Content Compression: Enabled
Content Protection: Disabled
Strength: Strong
Include Address Book: No

Message Background Colours
Enterprise Messages: None
Other Messages: None

IT Policy Name: IBM
Last Updated: Apr 23, 2007 2:42 AM

Services:
***no services***

aiharkness
07-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Looks like you have IT policy...Sounds to me like you were given password to the device, which you changed, and the policy allows you to change but not disable. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me. In the meantime, see John Clarks sticky.

EmptyInTheHead
07-20-2007, 03:36 PM

Looks like you have IT policy...Sounds to me like you were given password to the device, which you changed, and the policy allows you to change but not disable. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me. In the meantime, see John Clarks sticky.That all sounds right. It used to be on BES with IT policy and you can't wipe that away with just an OS reload.

cwonsey
07-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the responses. I followed the sticky and got it removed. FYI, I did not have the Wipe option that it talks about in the instructions, but I just skipped that step and it still worked flawlessly.

JSanders
07-21-2007, 12:36 PM
cwonsey, did you buy this device used?

cwonsey
07-21-2007, 12:42 PM
I did, I purchased the unit from Ebay. For some reason I have an aversion to being under contract with any provider, so I buy all my devices direct from the manufacturer or through other sources.

I was lucky in that the guy I bought the device from is very willing to help. He tried getting me the unlock code but I'm impatient so I used the 24 hour service. He was going to have his BES Admin remove the policy, but I got it done through here first.

aiharkness
07-21-2007, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the responses. I followed the sticky and got it removed. FYI, I did not have the Wipe option that it talks about in the instructions, but I just skipped that step and it still worked flawlessly.

Very good!

As a premptive, educational measure, you might look and see if the firewall is on, and if it is, whether you have the option to disable. A buddy had a used BB with IT policy, which he was able to overwrite, but he couldn't disable the firewall. It eventually caused him a problem. From my research it looked to me that was burned in and couldn't be reversed (though I could be wrong). Anyway, to get to the point, if down the road you have a problem with an app that looks like firewall issue, this would be on the short list of things to check.

JSanders
07-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Ditto, what harkness said. An IT policy can have bits and pieces remain even after being removed via the method you followed. And/or the IT policy can be pushed back to the BB if it has not been removed... you need to ask the seller to have the BES admin push a 'blank policy" to that BB.

choi4096
07-22-2007, 05:47 PM

Hi I have a similar problem. What did you do to remove the red padlock please? Can you share with me?

JSanders
07-22-2007, 06:06 PM
This:
Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Remove_IT_Policy)

cwonsey
07-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Follow JSanders link to the Remove IT Policy thread. In my case, I did not have the Wipe option in the Security settings, but following the other instructions worked fine, just skip that step if you do not have the option to Wipe.

This still didn't give me an option to set the password timeout settings, but it did allow me to disable the password so I just have to press * Talk to unlock.

John Clark
07-23-2007, 11:28 PM
You have the "wipe handheld" option. Look in Options >Security Options >General Settings. Once in General Settings click the menu (left of the trackball) button. You'll see the "Wipe Handheld" option.

PhilippeB
07-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi, I have almost the same problem with my 8700.
I bought it used on eBay and the security options are set to enter a password of a least 8 digits mixed with letters, numbers and special characters.
If you go to:

- Options
- Security Options
- General Settings

There is an option to allow outgoing calls while locked.

At least you can do calls without entering the long password.

I'm trying to find out why I can't disable Password.

So I want to disable the Password in my Security Options --> General Settings menu but there is a little red padlock next to it and I cannot change the option from Enabled. Is this just a feature of this model that it requires the password be enabled?

I have installed the O/S versions available from Cingular, T-Mobile, and Rogers. Currently it shows I'm runnin: Wireless Handheld (EDGE) v4.2.1.90 (Platform 2.3.0.72).

After changing the settings to not lock for 2 hours, I have realized that the trackball is a bit too likely to make calls when holstered if the device isn't locked, but the fact that they require I think an 8 character password is just too much. When I want to get into my phone, I want to do it in 2-3 buttons.

Any help is appreciated.

JSanders
07-24-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm trying to find out why I can't disable Password.

Because you likely have a IT security policy in place. Read post #15.

cwonsey
07-24-2007, 06:03 PM
You have the "wipe handheld" option. Look in Options >Security Options >General Settings. Once in General Settings click the menu (left of the trackball) button. You'll see the "Wipe Handheld" option.

Thank you for clarifying John - I do have the option! The instructional post should be clarified, as stating it as "Options >Security Options >General Settings >Wipe Handheld" leads one to infer that the option is listed on the corresponding screen.

To Philippe, that was the same issue I had. After following the suggestions here and removing the IT policy, I was able to disable the password.