PDA

View Full Version : Extended Battery - Rip off or real thing

DaBlackberryBoy
07-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Help me decide everyone - Extended RIM Blackberry 8800 8830 PDA Li-Ion Battery 1800mAh w/ Battery Door (http://www.igonemobile.com/product.aspx?p=15250)

gibber9583
07-23-2007, 01:32 PM
looks pretty legit. You should buy it and let us all know how it works :-)

DaBlackberryBoy
07-23-2007, 01:40 PM
I posted the following question...to be more convinced...

"How much more juice does your battery offer versus the CX-2 that comes standard? And how much bigger is the batt and door? Could you offer some live pics for us with a real 8800 if possible?"

If all sounds good, I'll plunge!!!!!!!!!!
EDIT: Even though I want 2400mAh or better

DaMaN
07-27-2007, 12:45 PM
anybody buy these yet that can provide any updates on them?

michsu
07-27-2007, 04:36 PM
# Q: Actually, the battery is based on the "blacklight" function you have.. I used to have "blacklight" always on, and display time of 2 minutes and it will run out in about 1 day... now I have the "blacklight" (auto-adjust) off, and run about 20 seconds time, and it can last for 2-3 days, even with emailing, checking internet, playing games.. I think that is the feature that most people miss.. Your battery is good that it allows 25% boost in energy, but of course 2400mAh (+71%) is much better.. with 2400mAh, that will last one whole week without needing to charge =)
A: Thanks for your input. I'm sure someone else will find this helpful.

# Q: My battery goes from 100% (not charge throughout the night) from 8pm last night, to 1pm today, and battery only dropped to 75% (17 hours time).. this is with backlight "off" and 20 seconds display time.. 17 x 4 = 68 hours (almost 3 days) =)
A:

I bought the battery (they said the battery was 950mAh, but actually I looked ALL OVER the internet) and saw that the battery was 1400mAh.. so this extended battery gives 25% boost..

right now, I am able to get 68 hours (3 days) if I set the backlight to "auto adjust" and 20 seconds.. about 24 hours (1 day) for backlight to "always on" and 2 minutes display time..

I ordered the battery and will see if it is better than original... The Seidio is too slow to come =( with 3 days + 25% boost ==> 4 days.. one day improvement is better than nothing for now.. with the proposed 2400mAh, that will give a boost of 71% , SO 3 days + 71% boost ==> 5-6 days... a whole week without charging.. and frequent use (3 pushed emails, downloading , and playing games) that will be nice =)

michsu
07-27-2007, 04:48 PM
this is for the Blackberry 8800

Summary
========
Backlight Auto, 20 seconds ===> 3 days battery time

Backlight Always On, 2 minutes ==> 1 day battery time

Igonemobile extended battery is 1800mAh (original is 1400mAh) ==> 25% boost

so you can do the math (3 ==> 4, and 1 ==> 1.25)

that setting seems to be most important to the battery life you can get out of your Blackberry..

DaBlackberryBoy
07-27-2007, 09:06 PM
this is for the Blackberry 8800

Summary
========
Backlight Auto, 20 seconds ===> 3 days battery time

Backlight Always On, 2 minutes ==> 1 day battery time

Igonemobile extended battery is 1800mAh (original is 1400mAh) ==> 25% boost

so you can do the math (3 ==> 4, and 1 ==> 1.25)

that setting seems to be most important to the battery life you can get out of your Blackberry..

michsu,

I took the plunge. I'll report back as well on how the battery works out. Aa little extra power will help out right now!

theBorg
07-27-2007, 10:53 PM
If the original battery is 1400 mAh and the super battery is 1800 mAh, then yes, it will last longer per charge.

mAh (milli-amp hours) is a measure the amount of power a battery can provide over time.

You may be cautious, however, with batteries that are quite outside the range of original equipment. What if the voltage levels of the 1800mAh battery are out of spec? Could cause issues, might not. Probably OK.

DaBlackberryBoy
07-30-2007, 07:39 AM
You may be cautious, however, with batteries that are quite outside the range of original equipment. What if the voltage levels of the 1800mAh battery are out of spec? Could cause issues, might not. Probably OK.

If this is the case, theN why are so may wanting for seidio quote unquote"2400MaH"? Would they not be in worse shape that those of us looking at the 1800mAH?

michsu
07-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi DablackberryBoy,

I'll report back when I get the battery... should receive it either today or tomorrow.. It might be hard to report, because it only has 25% boost in power (1800 vs 1400) so hopefully it will have a better charge

theBorg
07-30-2007, 12:57 PM
If this is the case, theN why are so may wanting for seidio quote unquote"2400MaH"? Would they not be in worse shape that those of us looking at the 1800mAH?

It depends on the battery design. I'm not saying any of these will fry your device - just advising caution. Yeah, it will probably be OK. It might not. If you don't mind the risk, go for it.

Sparing real technical details, think of it this way: Say your old Toyota Corolla gets 20 miles/gallon and has 80 horsepower. Billy Joe at Hickmadoodle's Gas Station says "buy this special gas and your Corolla will get 38 miles per gallon with 140 horsepower." Doesn't that sound strange?

DaBlackberryBoy
07-30-2007, 01:46 PM
It depends on the battery design. I'm not saying any of these will fry your device - just advising caution. Yeah, it will probably be OK. It might not. If you don't mind the risk, go for it.

Sparing real technical details, think of it this way: Say your old Toyota Corolla gets 20 miles/gallon and has 80 horsepower. Billy Joe at Hickmadoodle's Gas Station says "buy this special gas and your Corolla will get 38 miles per gallon with 140 horsepower." Doesn't that sound strange?

I hear ya loud and clear.

michsu
07-30-2007, 03:37 PM
I'll try the new gas... yay!! :razz: Hickmadoodle's Gas Station is located in Sucker Free City...??

ruconscious
07-31-2007, 12:28 AM
i hope it works for you. i don't like the sound of a bigger battery door. i ended up purchasing 2 xtra batteries and an external charger so that i always have 2 fully charged batteries at all times. i don't keep my phones for too long but i believe that they last longer when you don't use them as chargers. i needed longer battery life because i use all features on my phone all day. you name it i use it. that gps is a hog!

DaBlackberryBoy
07-31-2007, 01:44 PM
i hope it works for you. i don't like the sound of a bigger battery door. i ended up purchasing 2 xtra batteries and an external charger so that i always have 2 fully charged batteries at all times. i don't keep my phones for too long but i believe that they last longer when you don't use them as chargers. i needed longer battery life because i use all features on my phone all day. you name it i use it. that gps is a hog!

First off "Dipset" (haha), and second, I am constantly using the phone and not always near a wall outlet or place to charge. Worse comes to worse, I'll buy the seidio one when it comes out; they have a pretty good rep here at bbf

DaBlackberryBoy
08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Well friends, the battery has come in. Initial assessments, it is about the same size as seidios extended batter for the 8700g, maybe just a tad bit smaller. The door that came with it, is straight plastic. I will plug in and give it a whirl. 1800mAh on the batter, so lets just see...

Will report later...

EDIT: Fitted in a krussel classic case for the 8800, the battery fits very well. Makes the phone a little heavy obviously, but for the extra juice it is worth it! I will try to get some pics up later if I can, and will try to cycle the battery this week to see if I can get any prelim feedback on battery life. See the link in the first post, others have had good runs thus far. My only compalint was the shipping time from Rancho Cucomunga (sp) to Wichita, KS, took about a week plus the weekend to get here, but shipping was free, so oh well.

michsu
08-06-2007, 03:15 PM
I received the battery, but there was no invoice label and no label on the battery stating it was 1800mAh (the color was black).. I'm not sure it was the extended battery or not.. I don't know about you DaBlackberryBoy... how was your experience with the battery? My battery didn't need the "custom door" that they gave you.. it just fit on the original Blackberry battery door... also, the package just came with a plastic door rubber-banded with the battery... nothing else =(

gibber9583
08-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Sounds like you didnt get an extended battery michsu

michsu
08-06-2007, 03:41 PM
(n) for IGONEMOBILE.......

iGoneMobile.com / Gigabargains.com Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/iGoneMobile_Gigabargains)

DaBlackberryBoy
08-06-2007, 03:58 PM
michsu,

Sounds like you have had bad fortunes with them, sorry about that. I am an EOE (Equal Opportunity Employer) for any vendor and am willing to give them a chance. If things don't pan out, hey, I still got my standard battery and two seidio will come through. But please keep in mind, you can't make everyone happy all of the time, and the others probably have had things happen, welcome to life!

DaBlackberryBoy
08-06-2007, 04:04 PM
I received the battery, but there was no invoice label and no label on the battery stating it was 1800mAh (the color was black).. I'm not sure it was the extended battery or not.. I don't know about you DaBlackberryBoy... how was your experience with the battery? My battery didn't need the "custom door" that they gave you.. it just fit on the original Blackberry battery door... also, the package just came with a plastic door rubber-banded with the battery... nothing else =(

Just read your post. All my invoices came via my email which is somewhat normal. When the package came, the battery came and it has a greenish background and states that the battery is 1800mAh and not to throw it in the fire (which would be cool probably). The door was similiar to the door that seidio makes for their batteries, but is more boxy (square) than anything. The battery was labeled to know what it is. So sounds like they shipped you the wrong battery my friend. Hit up the customer service and see what they can do for you! Thats all you have at this point.

Calimann
08-07-2007, 01:55 PM
buy from ebay, search for Seller: etronics2007

I purchased 10 cx-2 battiers. They were brand new in the plastic, Blackberry label. 99 cents each with $21 shipping.

They were not DOA's either, they were distributed inside the office no one had any complains of poor battery performance.

someonexh
08-08-2007, 06:31 AM
buy from ebay, search for Seller: etronics2007

I purchased 10 cx-2 battiers. They were brand new in the plastic, Blackberry label. 99 cents each with $21 shipping.

They were not DOA's either, they were distributed inside the office no one had any complains of poor battery performance.

Hmm sounds like a good idea, then thinking about having to shut off the BB and replace the battery every day might be a pain in the arse. I might do this though, keep a charged one in my car or at work.

btaylor1
08-08-2007, 07:24 AM
this is all interesting. i've had my 8800 since march. regular battery has done fine. but last coupla weeks, instead of having a couple of solid days of battery time sans charging, i instead have had less than a day. new at&t phone store swapped me a new (standard) li battery yesterday, and while today will be first day to put a full charge on it, it already seems much better like the original battery used to be. i wonder if blackberry batteries sometimes just quit holding charge well, out of blue and for now apparent reason!

Gooddog
08-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Help me decide everyone - Extended RIM Blackberry 8800 8830 PDA Li-Ion Battery 1800mAh w/ Battery Door (http://www.igonemobile.com/product.aspx?p=15250)

$29.95 for an extended battery and door? I know nothing about the manufacture but it sounds too cheap. I'd be concerned about quality. Look forward to the reviews and long term performance.

Nickster248
08-08-2007, 01:13 PM
$29.95 for an extended battery and door? I know nothing about the manufacture but it sounds too cheap. I'd be concerned about quality. Look forward to the reviews and long term performance.
I too am skeptical of this offer. Personally I would pass on this battery and wait for something more 'official'...or even wait until Seidio comes out with an extended battery, as I do trust them and bought an extended battery for my 8703e from them.(y)

DaBlackberryBoy
08-08-2007, 01:35 PM
I too am skeptical of this offer. Personally I would pass on this battery and wait for something more 'official'...or even wait until Seidio comes out with an extended battery, as I do trust them and bought an extended battery for my 8703e from them.(y)

Sometimes you should never judge a book by its over. I have had abosuletly no problems with this batter the past three days. Heavy email, web surfing, heavy todo/ideaMatrix use, SMS, has not been below 85%. (I plan on giving a better review this next week)

Plus, if seidio offered a battery for 29.95, would you buy it? Of course you would... :)

DaBlackberryBoy
08-11-2007, 09:52 PM
My assessment of this battery after 1 week...

I would say the battery is pretty good. Because I use my device so heavily, I had no issues killing the battery three times and recharging. You get about 25% less of a charge than you would with a 2400mAh, but still, this battery is pretty darn good! I am a email abuser, work in and out of todoMatrix/ideaMatrix constantly, long phone calls (1 hour per). I did not mess too much with bluetooth this time around, but might see how I fair with that.

All in all though, I would recommend this battery to anyone else looking for a little more juice right now! Wish seidio would have beat them to the punch though...

DaBlackberryBoy
08-27-2007, 03:26 PM
My assessment of this battery after 1 week...

I would say the battery is pretty good. Because I use my device so heavily, I had no issues killing the battery three times and recharging. You get about 25% less of a charge than you would with a 2400mAh, but still, this battery is pretty darn good! I am a email abuser, work in and out of todoMatrix/ideaMatrix constantly, long phone calls (1 hour per). I did not mess too much with bluetooth this time around, but might see how I fair with that.

All in all though, I would recommend this battery to anyone else looking for a little more juice right now! Wish seidio would have beat them to the punch though...

3 weeks and going strong with this battery folks. I did the recommended 3 full cycle recharges, and the battery has responded great! I would recommend this as an alternative to anyone else looking for an extended battery for the 8800 series.

Belbarid
08-27-2007, 10:35 PM
3 weeks and going strong with this battery folks. I did the recommended 3 full cycle recharges, and the battery has responded great! I would recommend this as an alternative to anyone else looking for an extended battery for the 8800 series.

Just ordered one for myself.

I'm in an odd situation- I work in an area that gets spotty cell reception, at least for Verizon. We're close enough to a cell tower, but the interference is a pain. I get really, really bad battery performance while at work. I can go the whole weekend without charging, but I can't make it through a workday. Also can't make calls from my desk. :P

Anyway, we'll see what this gets me.

DaBlackberryBoy
08-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Just ordered one for myself.

I'm in an odd situation- I work in an area that gets spotty cell reception, at least for Verizon. We're close enough to a cell tower, but the interference is a pain. I get really, really bad battery performance while at work. I can go the whole weekend without charging, but I can't make it through a workday. Also can't make calls from my desk. :P

Anyway, we'll see what this gets me.

Good luck to you my friend. 8-)

someonexh
08-29-2007, 09:29 AM

Can you elaborate?

Belbarid
08-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Verdict is RIPOFF!!

Battery shipped to the wrong address. iGone is not returning emails, and UPS won't do anything to help.

Do not order from iGone.

DaBlackberryBoy
08-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Can you elaborate?

Heavy email and web browsing and use of todo and idea Matrix. After draining the battery down three good times and getting three good charges, haven't had any issues. Sorr, not much for getting into the nitty gritty details I guess...the battery works, for me! 8-)

DaBlackberryBoy
08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Verdict is RIPOFF!!

Battery shipped to the wrong address. iGone is not returning emails, and UPS won't do anything to help.

Do not order from iGone.

Belbarid,

Sorry to hear about that! Hopefully seidio will get their act together soon. For the record, I live in Kansas and it took some time to get the battery via their USPS/UPS Innovation shipping thing that they have going on as well. That was my only complaint with things. Good luck to you! 8-)

Belbarid
08-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Belbarid,

Sorry to hear about that! Hopefully seidio will get their act together soon. For the record, I live in Kansas and it took some time to get the battery via their USPS/UPS Innovation shipping thing that they have going on as well. That was my only complaint with things. Good luck to you! 8-)

FWIW, I have noticed that battery life is a lot better with the new BB OS version. My phone is handling low-signal areas much better than it used to.

DaBlackberryBoy
08-31-2007, 11:34 AM
FWIW, I have noticed that battery life is a lot better with the new BB OS version. My phone is handling low-signal areas much better than it used to.

I agree with you on that. Opposed to my 8700g that would churn when in a low-sig area as well, my new month old 8800 does handle better, major noticable difference. The CX-2 battery is good, but more juice is always better too!