PDA

View Full Version : Need Ping/Tracert berryfriendly site

bucknasty
05-19-2005, 08:51 PM
anybody got a wap site that will allow pings and traceroutes?

I love www.dnsstuff.com, but site will not load in my berrybrowser v4.

7520 with a BES server.

tia!

coreyg510
05-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Pings? I have never heard of this. can you elaborate?

pcnetgeek
05-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Pings? I have never heard of this. can you elaborate?Corey? serious?

Well, here it is..

ping
Last modified: Thursday, September 02, 2004

A utility to determine whether a specific IP address is accessible. It works by sending a packet to the specified address and waiting for a reply. PING is used primarily to troubleshoot Internet connections. There are many freeware and shareware Ping utilities available for personal computers.

It is often believed that "Ping" is an abbreviation for Packet Internet Groper, but Ping's author has stated that the names comes from the sound that a sonar makes.

sharpycl
05-19-2005, 10:32 PM
For speed testing I would check this site out on your blackberry browser

http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed (http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed)

For Ping testing, this site may and may not have something. I've looked, but it doesn't seem to have anything for mobile devices.

Broadband Reports.com (http://www.dslreports.com/tools)

coreyg510
05-19-2005, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE=pcnetgeek]Corey? serious?

Why wouldnt i be serious? I dont know everything, or even half of everything ( so my woman tells me)

by the way, where did you find this info?

bcradio
05-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Yo Bucknasty, did you ever find a ping or tracert utility for the BB? If I can't find one I am going to send mine back to the vendor. Nice toy, really nice toy but it needs to be able to be used as a tool...

BCR

jbairdjr
05-28-2005, 11:04 AM
why do you need a ping utility?
I cant understand why this would make or break your decision on purchasing a blackberry.

bcradio
05-28-2005, 06:35 PM
That's a good question! Here's why: I use the BB for local government IT management. I administer a very large set of databases that use different VPN's accessible from the internet. If one goes down I can ping the IP's of the nat routers and bandwidth access managers to find the link that has failed, then send techs to re-establish the connection. I can use my laptop computer now, and that works but I am trying to replace it with the BB, obviously the BB is smaller, and can do pretty much all I need to do in the field. Fact is though tht if I can't use it to do the job then the company won't keep it. I have an Ipaq and a phone, that's the way they look at it. :-(
I had a Treo for a while, it had some advantages, but the way Sprint manages their IP pool through NAT servers makes it nearly impossible to get past my (necessary) firewalls. The BB grows on you, too. There are several telnet programs that do work, and that may work out to allow me to keep it, only if it was able to ping it would be PERFECT!

BCR

southwestcomm
05-28-2005, 07:08 PM
To accomplish this look at the IC2 solution.

DavidE
05-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Have you tried Mobile2Server Troubleshooter (http://netcreativemind.com/m2st/index.html?)? Don't know if it has a ping function, but it's only $19.95, and you can try it for free.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com

pcnetgeek
05-28-2005, 07:59 PM
That's a good question! Here's why: I use the BB for local government IT management. I administer a very large set of databases that use different VPN's accessible from the internet. If one goes down I can ping the IP's of the nat routers and bandwidth access managers to find the link that has failed, then send techs to re-establish the connection. I can use my laptop computer now, and that works but I am trying to replace it with the BB, obviously the BB is smaller, and can do pretty much all I need to do in the field. Fact is though tht if I can't use it to do the job then the company won't keep it. I have an Ipaq and a phone, that's the way they look at it. :-(
I had a Treo for a while, it had some advantages, but the way Sprint manages their IP pool through NAT servers makes it nearly impossible to get past my (necessary) firewalls. The BB grows on you, too. There are several telnet programs that do work, and that may work out to allow me to keep it, only if it was able to ping it would be PERFECT!

BCR
might be a silly question but why would they not look into the devices abilities and what i cant be used for before purchasing one?

secondly wouldnt the strong email handling be enough to own a place for ownership being what your position is?

pcnetgeek
05-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Have you tried Mobile2Server Troubleshooter (http://netcreativemind.com/m2st/index.html?)? Don't know if it has a ping function, but it's only $19.95, and you can try it for free.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.comlooks good.. not sure about its comparing scale..

getting this to dl completly and install is sure proving to be a task. they dont provide an .alx file only a .cod file and i have no clue as to how to install one of those.. guess im off to the search button..

thanks..

pcnetgeek
05-28-2005, 08:27 PM
nope wont install ota.. and i cant find a way to install .cod

DavidE
05-28-2005, 10:14 PM
nope wont install ota.. and i cant find a way to install .codThat's too bad. It looked like it might be useful. I was searching for our elusive Ping utility and stumbled on it.

I also found a Web page titled "Can a blackberry ping ip addresses?" on experts-exchange.com. Only catch is you have to pay a $9.95 monthly fee to find out if they have the answer. Here's the link in case anyone is curious: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Wireless_Programming/Blackberry/Q_21311048.html.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com

pcnetgeek
05-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Dave.. if you look a little lower you can see how some users referenced some software titles and 2 of them are on the RimRoad boards..

pcnetgeek
05-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Mobile2Server Troubleshooter doesnt even have a contact page..

look like i will eventually have to pay for idokorro

DavidE
05-28-2005, 10:35 PM
if you look a little lower you can see how some users referenced some software titles and 2 of them are on the RimRoad boards..Good catch. I didn't see that. I stopped at the subscription part and assumed that's all there was.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com

pcnetgeek
05-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Good catch. I didn't see that. I stopped at the subscription part and assumed that's all there was.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.comYea, i know becase when im google'ing a problem myself i usually end up on that page and get great assistance..

The subscribtion is actually to post for help .. sound sbackwards..

bcradio
05-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Definitely, I have one for evaluation from the vendor. If it works I keep it, if not I give it back.
I can't run server software because the server is a AIX/Unix box. Only thing I can do to troubleshoot a connection is ping and telnet. Yep the email is great, but I can get emails from my cellphone. Use forwarding from the email server.

mike m
05-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Try this (from BB browser):
www.valkaryn.net/wap/#main

Includes ping & tracert

kmanig
06-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Mobile2Server Troubleshooter doesnt even have a contact page..

look like i will eventually have to pay for idokorro

Mobile2Server Troubleshooter has contact info, even now new version i.e. 2.0 of Mobile2Server Troubleshooter has been also launched. check again at http://www.netcreativemind.com/m2st/index.html :bb:

mooreke
02-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Any new ping utilitys out there?