PDA

View Full Version : BIS Question

marian_h
07-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi There,

A couple of days ago I moved 2 mail domains I own to be hosted by Google Apps. The deployments was great and everything is up and running.

My biggest issue is the BIS service with the 2 domains.
Before the migration I used Gmail to relay messages from my primary mailbox and never had problems. Messages were delivered instantly and no leakage.

After the deployment I thought it would be smart to move my BIS configuration to sent the message from my new mail domain directly, without the involvement of the Gmail account.

I have set up 2 different mailbox on the BIS, one has .cc extension and the other has a .ca extension. The .ca was set up instantly while the .cc I had to do some manual work to configure.
I can get messages on the BB but my problem is that the messages are being delayed anything between 10 to sometimes even 20 minutes. It is very annoying, especially when I got used to get them instantly when I used Gmail.

I did a lot of testing, enabling POP and disabling and sending service books many times but it is not improving. It is seems like the .cc mailbox that I configured manually is the slowest to response for incoming Email messages while the .ca is a bit faster but not instantly.
As another step of troubleshooting I have set up a third mailbox on the BIS to work with my Gmail account and sent an Email message several times from a separate mailbox to the 3 Email addresses. The Gmail is always showing on the BB instantly within seconds. The .ca mailbox is second to response and the .cc is always the last.

Does anyone has any explanation to the symptoms I described? Any remedies, preferably without filters and mail forward from one mailbox to the other?

Thanks
HM.

larango
07-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Here the answer:
Gmail uses Real-Time Delivery of Blackberry messages - push method.

And your new/current mail hosting service doesn't have that capability. It uses the common pull based delivery method to retrieve messages from your mailbox. That happens every 15 to 20 minutes.

As for today I am aware that Gmail, Yahoo, MSN Hotmail and AOL have implemented Real-Time Delivery for Blackberry.

So there is nothing you can do but to tell your email hosting provider to implement Blackberry's real-time delivery.:?

here is how it works (*);-)

REAL TIME DELIVERY OF EMAIL MESSAGES
1. A new email message arrives in a subscriber's email account from the Internet
2. The email account (GMAIL in this case) notifies Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) that a new email message has arrived
3. The BIS downloads the email message
4. The BIS sends the message to the subscriber's Blackberry device

:bb: The approximate delivery time is SECONDS.

Poll-Based delivery of email messages
1. A new email message arrives in a subscriber's email account from the Internet
2. The BIS checks the email account (mailbox) for new email messages every 15 minutes
3. When a new email message is discovered, the BIS downloads the email message.
4. The BIS sends the message to the subscriber's Blackberry device

:bb: The approximate delivery time is MINUTES

(*) The information comes from Feature and Technical Overview of the BIS ver 2.0 published by RIM

JSanders
07-24-2007, 10:45 PM
What larango states is true, no need to repeat all that again.

However, I have read elsewhere on this board, I thought, that some users using Google Domains were experiencing the instant delivery.

Maybe that is not true, can anyone here confirm?

akosnitzky
07-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I am getting instant delivery on my gmail. I do not know if it is becaus eof google, the BIS 2.3 or both. I sm waiting for the corporate mail to arrive faster. I have seen no improvement in that area from the beginning.

takeshi
07-25-2007, 08:40 AM
And your new/current mail hosting service doesn't have that capability. It uses the common pull based delivery method to retrieve messages from your mailbox. That happens every 15 to 20 minutes.

From what some have said it seems that Google Apps accounts do have the capability but getting the account recognized as a Google Apps account (as opposed to POP) is the tricky part.