PDA

View Full Version : Convert from Two Devices to 7290

?7290?
05-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks trying to decide if the 7290 is the correct device. I have read many pages(FAQs page) here describing how the blackberry works, but I still have a few questions.

background:
Currently have a Palm T3 and SE K700I and I am using the T-Mobile Network. I want a converged device and I want to stay with T-Mobile. The company I work for has BES, but only allows the 7290 through Cingular. I will be paying for the equipment and service, t-mobile pricing is much better than Cingular. My company would not approve me for black berry service.

I am using Outlook 2003.

My questions:

1. Redirector: is this a simple as installing the software, leaving my work computer on 24/7 and it does the rest. Do I need BES to allow this to work?

2. T-mobile has two services plans: Internet service and Internet service with BES. Which one do I need to get most out of my 7290.

3. Just like me Palm, I would want to sync via cable with my work PC and my Home PC. Are there any concerns with this.

4. What is the typical Prosumer set-up without BES?
This is how I see it:
sync via cable at work for PIM
sync via cable at home for PIM (hosted service would eliminate this)
have all e-mail set up on BB.
GPRS service would allow web browsing, IM etc...

Thanks

NJBlackBerry
05-20-2005, 01:42 PM
1. Desktop Redirector is what you would use if you don't have BES. You must have Exchange as your e-mail server.

2. If you are going to use BES -OR- Desktop Redirector, you must get the Internet Service plan with BES, even if you are only using the Redirector. That's the way it works.

3. No; I do it with 3 PCs (home, laptop at work, desktop at work)

4. Yes. Check out the various IM packages.

EGottlieb
05-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Well, NJBlackberry posted before I finished posting, but here are my answers anyway:

1. Redirector: is this a simple as installing the software, leaving my work computer on 24/7 and it does the rest. Do I need BES to allow this to work?

No BES required for redirector, just an exchange server.

2. T-mobile has two services plans: Internet service and Internet service with BES. Which one do I need to get most out of my 7290.

You only need the Internet Service with BES if you are going to connect to your company's or a third-party BES. Not sure if you need it for Redirector. Otherwise you are wasting $10/mo.

3. Just like me Palm, I would want to sync via cable with my work PC and my Home PC. Are there any concerns with this.

Can't help with this one, but I wouldn't expect there to be a problem. As with your Palm, you need to be careful about modifying the same contact/appointment/etc. in multiple places and then syncing.

4. What is the typical Prosumer set-up without BES?
This is how I see it:
sync via cable at work for PIM
sync via cable at home for PIM (hosted service would eliminate this)
have all e-mail set up on BB.
GPRS service would allow web browsing, IM etc...

I guess I really can't speak for everyone, but my setup (as well as the other few people with Blackberrys in my company):

- Sync via cable to company laptop (MS Outlook)
- Have all e-mail set up via web client to POP work e-mail (we use GroupWise 6.0 for e-mail, so no BES available until we upgrade and no real forwarding possible).
- GPRS service for IM and laptop modem.

Hope this helps...

-Eric