PDA

View Full Version : Use a Blackberry without Data Plan

simplyjammin
07-26-2007, 10:19 AM
I am new to the Blackberry world, and I just purchased a Blackberry Curve on Ebay. I only really wanted it because of its design, and it has the full quwerty keyboard, which comes in handy because I do alot of texting and multimedia stuff. I won't use it for email, or web surfing or anything like that. My question is would I need a data plan for this, because Cingular's cheapest one is like $35 and I really don't want to spend that much just to text.

Someone please help:cry:

penguin3107
07-26-2007, 10:20 AM
If all you need is voice, texting and multimedia... then no, you don't need a BlackBerry Data Plan. (Or any data plan.)

JSanders
07-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Simply, ditto Penguin, you will be set to go, just ignore the message you will have at the top of the screen "Data Connection Refused". That is because you don't the data plan.

simplyjammin
07-26-2007, 10:36 AM
But will I also be able to send multi-media text as well? Thanks so much for you guy's help so far.

penguin3107
07-26-2007, 10:36 AM
But will I also be able to send multi-media text as well? Thanks so much for you guy's help so far.

Should be able to. MMS uses the voice network, not data.

JSanders
07-26-2007, 10:48 AM
eh, not so fast. I think he may need the data plan for MMS. The message is sent via SMS, but the image or "multimedia" is sent via the data package. I have read that on the board here over and over, but simplyjammin may have to test it to determine, since most of us are actually on a data package.

Dawg
07-26-2007, 10:55 AM
eh, not so fast. I think he may need the data plan for MMS. The message is sent via SMS, but the image or "multimedia" is sent via the data package. I have read that on the board here over and over, but simplyjammin may have to test it to determine, since most of us are actually on a data package.

I actually thought the same thing when I read his reply.

simplyjammin
07-26-2007, 11:59 AM
I am new to the Blackberry world, and I just purchased a Blackberry Curve on Ebay. I only really wanted it because of its design, and it has the full quwerty keyboard, which comes in handy because I do alot of texting and multimedia stuff. I won't use it for email, or web surfing or anything like that. My question is would I need a data plan for this, because Cingular's cheapest one is like $35 and I really don't want to spend that much just to text.

Someone please help:cry:

:idea: Well I broke down and went to cingular.com and had an oline chat with an agent and asked the same questions. Here is the response:

You do not need any data plan for messaging.

For your usage (which is sending and recieving text and multi-media)you will need a voice plan and a messaging service package.

For $19.99 a month, you have the freedom to message any way, to any one - text, picture, video and IM - without worrying what each message costs. That means every message counts the same. You can send and receive ANY combination of messages.

AT&T now considers all message types the same. You can send text, instant, picture, and video messages for the same standard rate, or include them with your monthly plan.(y)

Thanks again for everyone's help. You guys r gr8

Dawg
07-26-2007, 12:12 PM
:idea: Well I broke down and went to cingular.com and had an oline chat with an agent and asked the same questions. Here is the response:

You do not need any data plan for messaging.

For your usage (which is sending and recieving text and multi-media)you will need a voice plan and a messaging service package.

For $19.99 a month, you have the freedom to message any way, to any one - text, picture, video and IM - without worrying what each message costs. That means every message counts the same. You can send and receive ANY combination of messages.

AT&T now considers all message types the same. You can send text, instant, picture, and video messages for the same standard rate, or include them with your monthly plan.(y)

Thanks again for everyone's help. You guys r gr8

I would be interested to see call back and speak to another and see if they give you the same answer. when ever I talk to cingulars CS I always get different answers. I cant wait till my daughters contract ends.

BCollins521
07-26-2007, 12:30 PM
T-Mobile you have to have the free BB add on for the MMS to work...when the Pearl came out you had to have the 20 BB add on to get the web access for you to send pictures but now that they have this free add on you don't have to...which is nice that I have the 9.99 promotion that they had for unlimited picture, text, and im messages for the whole family plan.

Don't know if Cingular has to put that on your account or not but you might want to check to see if there is a special free thing they need to do on their end

simplyjammin
07-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I would be interested to see call back and speak to another and see if they give you the same answer. when ever I talk to cingulars CS I always get different answers. I cant wait till my daughters contract ends.

I just chatted with another rep to be on the safe side since you brought that up, and I got the same answer. Not the same wording, but the same meaning , no data plan is needed to send or recieve sms or mms on your BB. Just a messaging plan or you will be charged per message.

Dawg
07-26-2007, 12:55 PM
I just chatted with another rep to be on the safe side since you brought that up, and I got the same answer. Not the same wording, but the same meaning , no data plan is needed to send or recieve sms or mms on your BB. Just a messaging plan or you will be charged per message.

good deal glad they were the same