PDA

View Full Version : Please help me

icampbell
05-20-2005, 05:03 PM
My corporate email is on Lotus Notes 5 and my company has issued Blackberrys to all directors and has a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES).

I am not a director but have purchased my own unlocked Blackberry 7230 and would like to sync with my corporate email. I do not have a SIM card through any provider as yet.

I have reviewed the other threads on the Blackberry discussion forums. I understand from these that I do not need to be on the same mobile provider as the directors.

I therefore assume that I need just a SIM card and the BES password from the IT administrator at the Company. Could someone please let me know if this is correct.

With respect to the SIM card I notice that the UK providers provide 'instant email' options (usually via a POP3 account) for about £15 per month. I know this is different to the BES email system so please could someone confirm that this type of SIM card contract is what I need to use my new Blackberry. I have a SIM card for my current mobile phone but I assume that this is not sufficient.

Also if anyone has any recommendations based on their own experience for any of the UK providers (O2, Vodafone, Orange, T-Mobile) then I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

mark.hogan
05-20-2005, 08:04 PM
This sounds right however, you will need a blackberry corporate type data account. The pop3 thing does not sound like the right account, but your a uk'er so ya better wait till one of them reply...

rsun
05-20-2005, 10:52 PM
When I was travelling in Europe, even though I have TMobile in the US, it seemed to be that when I manually choose Vodafone, my phone seemed to work better then when it connected to TMobile in Europe.

From what I understand, there's two types of provisioning, BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) and BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Service). I know you can have BIS without BES, but not sure if you can have BES without BIS. I'm pretty positive that the POP3 thing is for BIS only.

I know when we get a user a BlackBerry account in a new country, we sometimes have to argue about the provisioning with the vendor and we always have to specify that we are connecting to our internal BES.