PDA

View Full Version : Hosted BES and switching devices

artemis104
07-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Right now Im using a hosted BES. If I get a new blackberry, how do I change my hosted BES from the current device to the new device? Also, if I want to go back and forth between two devices and use hosted BES is it possible?

Also, I periodically back up my blackberry including all msgs. If I were to get a new blackberry and restore a backup on the new one, i would have the msgs on the new BB as well, right?

TIA everyone (y)

roofus
07-27-2007, 06:31 AM
What I did was plug in my new device and fire up desktop manager. A dialogue box will pop up asking you if you want to change devices. It uses the pin id's for this. Answer yes and it will ask you to move your mouse on a random motion to generate a new encryptation code. Do this.

After a short delay, the ota synchronization should begin on its own. It will take several minutes. If it does not begin on it's own you may have to call your BES provider and ask for a password to initiate the process manually.

To tranfer your information you should upgrade to the latest version of Desktop Manager and use the "Switch device" feature.

takeshi
07-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Actually, if you're on hosted BES I'd check to see with them if wireless backup and restore are enabled. If so, Enterprise Activation will take care of all that.

Any time you upgrade the OS or switch devices you have to perform an EA. You can start one by entering your email address and EA password (from your BES admin) or by syncing via USB if your desktop has access to the BES.

I really don't recommend frequently switching in your case as it's tricky to retain all your messages. The switch device wizard might do a better job in that regard (I've never used it).

If you are trying to restore messages via a backup make sure that wireless is turned off to prevent the receipt of new messages. The restoring of messages will overwrite -- not append -- any messages on your BB.